Trouble getting starter out on 94 YJ

Blawcruz

I have a question, I have a 94 jeep wrangler 4 cylinder 4x4. I am trying to replace the starter but it's not coming out. Took off the bolts, its loose but will not come off. Is there a trick. Do I have to remove something else to get it off.

Yep, I think it probably just needs a good tap or some prying force. It's probably the original starter, and therefore being difficult.

I have a question, I have a 94 jeep wrangler 4 cylinder 4x4. I am trying to replace the starter but it's not coming out. Took off the bolts, its loose but will not come off. Is there a trick. Do I have to remove something else to get it off.
The YJ starters need a little finagling to get out.

They made 2 different starters for that year. One was mfg before march 94 the other is mfg after april 94. I have seen some posts where you have to loosen flywheel bolts. Some were going to have to take the oil pan off. Which I am not gonna do. I have never had a problem with removing a starter till now. Help before I break something.

They made 2 different starters for that year. One was mfg before march 94 the other is mfg after april 94. I have seen some posts where you have to loosen flywheel bolts. Some were going to have to take the oil pan off. Which I am not gonna do. I have never had a problem with removing a starter till now. Help before I break something.

I never heard of loosening flywheel bolts to take off a starter or take off the oil pan. Did you tap it with a hammer ?

Wish I could help. My starter came out of my 95 just a few months ago with only a little effort. I believe I did take the fly wheel cover off to get mine out, IIRC.

Reactions: 06TJ35's