Trouble Starting 2001 TJ

skight230

I've got a 2001 TJ 4.0 Automatic trans. Issue is my engine will sometimes die while driving then not restart, and sometimes after it's been parked. It'll crank but not fire up. The fuel pump, fuel level, temp, and amps non working while it won't start up. Eventually, after checking fuses and connections I've been able to get it restarted when the instruments come back. It seems to comeback when I'm being pulled a little ways. Yesterday, I just pushed it backwards 20 ft or so and it came back. Not sure if this is just coincidence or it's when I turn my steering wheel. I might go days before it happens again.

I believe so. It just happens at the worst times. Just trying to get it off the side of the road or I'm stranded somewhere. First thought it was the fuel pump being the fuel level and pump not coming on. Changed that out and same thing 2 days later. That's when I noticed the other instruments

The first thing you should do is scan your vehicle with an OBDII scanner, or take it to any auto part store and they'll scan it for free. You'll get a code (or multiple codes) which will greatly help to pinpoint the issue. This is a must in my opinion, because otherwise we're just guessing, and you don't want to throw money at things without know for sure that they are the issue.

One thing I know is that for whatever reason or another, our Jeeps seem to be very finicky when it comes to fuel pumps. They only seem to like the Bosch units, and not the crappy aftermarket ones they sell at AutoZone or the likes. That's just a thought, because this issue sounds really bizarre. I'd get that thing scanned ASAP.

I have no check engine once the gauges comeback. It cranks and runs with no issue. I've YouTube videos where bad sensors will do this. Like the crank position sensor. But, mine comes back for some reason.

The codes may be stored in there, so it's worth checking, yes.

When did all of this start happening, after you changed the fuel pump?

Hmmm, so it sounds like the issue is likely something other than the pump then.

No the odometer still works. Still has lights behind the instruments. Everything is on like if you turned the key back to ACC. But, it will turn over. I was stuck on the side of the road one time, and when I was starting to be pulled it came back. I'm wondering about a sensor that's going out that's causing it to do this. It's a automatic if that means anything.

If you have a bad sensor, the computer "SHOULD" store it as a code. It may also drop the stored code after a few good starts. Like @Chris said, hook up a code scanner ASAP after it acts up.

Have you checked the wire harness/connector at the ignition switch? The way you're describing this, it almost sounds like the computer is thinking you turned the key back to ACC.

A faulty ASD relay is a possibility, you could try swapping it with the horn relay in the hood fuse box.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: Marc L and Chris
Fuel pump is the first thing I changed. Still same issue.

I've thought the same on the ignition, but I've also seen a video of a Cherokee 4.0 same year model doing the same thing. A sensor was bad which would make the computer screw up. I'm just waiting on it to happen again so I can try looking at those.

Reactions: Stanley
Check your purge valve (idle air control). It seems your symptoms are similar to the ones I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wasn't the Crank Position Sensor. It was the third injector shorting out. I replaced the heat shield and found the wires to the injector looked real bad. Cut the bad part of the wire out and butt spliced new wires in its place. Also insulated the injectors and fuel rail. Looks good and have had no issues since.

Reactions: sinatranate