Trouble starting Jeep after new fuel pump install

Chris2197

Just put a new fuel pump in my 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4.0. Everything is connected and my Jeep just isn’t starting. It’s close to starting but just can’t get all the way. I’m and lost at this point. Any ideas?

Just put a new fuel pump in my 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4.0. Everything is connected and my Jeep just isn’t starting. It’s close to starting but just can’t get all the way. I’m and lost at this point. Any ideas?
What brand of fuel pump? Where'd you get it? You sure the fuel line clicked into place?

I replaced a fuel pump on another truck. Everything went fine. But truck would NOT start. Sounded like it wanted to, but no love.
Buddy stopped by as I was about to torch the whole thing and pulled then reinstalled the stupid fuse to the pump. I had checked all the fuses, and hadn't touched any of them. He touched the key, and it immediately started up.
Makes no sense. Now sense at all. I had disconnected the battery + and - before any work, and reconnected them when done. So absolutely no reason this would do anything. But it did. He said he learned that trick when he replaced a fuel pump and then got a no-start.
Hope this may help. Don't know why it would, but apparently it does sometimes.

What brand of fuel pump? Where'd you get it? You sure the fuel line clicked into place?
It’s a Delphi fuel pump. And yes everything is connected and good to go. And my gas gauge goes on and Jeep was close to starting but idk of fuel is getting to the injectors though.

I replaced a fuel pump on another truck. Everything went fine. But truck would NOT start. Sounded like it wanted to, but no love.
Buddy stopped by as I was about to torch the whole thing and pulled then reinstalled the stupid fuse to the pump. I had checked all the fuses, and hadn't touched any of them. He touched the key, and it immediately started up.
Makes no sense. Now sense at all. I had disconnected the battery + and - before any work, and reconnected them when done. So absolutely no reason this would do anything. But it did. He said he learned that trick when he replaced a fuel pump and then got a no-start.
Hope this may help. Don't know why it would, but apparently it does sometimes.
He checked the fuses?

Y
And it started fine before replacing the fuel pump?
Yes everything worked. Just had a fuel filter code and I was getting bad gas mileage like I would get 13-15 And then I was getting 5-8 when the code came up so I just got a new fuel pump and put it in and just after we got done it didn’t wanna start. It gradually got better trying to start but just not enough.

This might be a stupid question, but are you sure there's actually gas in it?

I had a similar situation once where my fuel gauge said it was half full, but it would not start, only crank and sputter. Turns out the tank was almost completely empty and the fuel level sensor was not working, making me think I had fuel.

I have the Delphi unit and mine works perfectly. That doesn't help you, just letting you that the Delphi pumps aren't necessarily bad. Yours could be, but mine is fine.

This might be a stupid question, but are you sure there's actually gas in it?

I had a similar situation once where my fuel gauge said it was half full, but it would not start, only crank and sputter. Turns out the tank was almost completely empty and the fuel level sensor was not working, making me think I had fuel.
Not a stupid question but yes it has over a half tank. I didn’t take any gas out when I dropped the tank

Not a stupid question but yes it has over a half tank. I didn’t take any gas out when I dropped the tank

It sounds like you may have gotten a bad pump. It's coincidental, but definitely possible.

Yup we got good pressure at rail. I had gas shooting out. Jeep just don’t wanna idle and I check my fuses.

So it's getting gas to the rail and it has fuel pressure, it just doesn't want to idle.

You sure everything is plugged in and you didn't miss anything or snag anything while you were under there? Now it sounds sensor related. I'm guessing it should be throwing a check engine light shortly, which should be telling.

So it's getting gas to the rail and it has fuel pressure, it just doesn't want to idle.

You sure everything is plugged in and you didn't miss anything or snag anything while you were under there? Now it sounds sensor related. I'm guessing it should be throwing a check engine light shortly, which should be telling.
Ok so now it’s running and idling