Trouble starting

Sparty

My son is having an issue starting our TJ at college. He had me on FaceTime while he tried to start it again. It seems to be turning over it just won’t start. Any ideas? I’m thinking fuel pump/filter. Could it be spark plugs instead? Any way for a quick easy test to try to eliminate either issue? It’s a 4.0.

One way to check if it’s a fuel vs ignition problem is to spray engine starter spray into the air intake. If you can get it to fire temporarily on the ether then it usually is fuel delivery related. If not it could be a whole plethora of issues. There are kits to test fuel pump pressure.

Since it’s cranking it’s proba not a battery/alternator/starter problem.

Bad spark plugs generally won’t result in a no-fire condition but will give issues starting.

I can’t view the video (dumb phone) so I can’t be of too much help.

X2 to the above. Try the starter fluid and see if that does anything. It's also worth checking the fuel pressure at the fuel rail to see what the fuel pressure is.

As mentioned above, it's likely not a battery / alternator / starter problem. However, you'd be smart to actually have the battery load tested (which any auto part store will do for free) and check the condition of the battery terminals.

From watching the video, it seems to me like it's a fuel related issue.

If you cycle the ignition multiple times (without actually turning it on) to let the fuel pump prime, does it then start up after 3-4 times of doing that?