Trouble turning over and starting

SteinyB

Hi all,

Bought a 2003 TJ the a few weeks ago and it conveniently started having issues a week after I got it..

It started with an engine light, found out it was related to the cam sensor. Replaced it and the engine light went away.

When turning the key to start, it would turn over but not start the first time. I assumed the two issues were related but it didn't go away after replacing the cam sensor. It still took 2 tries to start, eventually 3 and now not at all. I now physically can't turn the key past the ON state for ignition. Like it's blocking me.

To be clear: I can easily move the key through all the other positions but cannot access the spring return ignition position.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

I am sure someone will chime in and agree, or correct me, but I would be looking at your ignition switch. They are know to go bad, and are very easy to replace, at least in my 97', push in a detent at the bottom and the whole thing slides out. YouTube has a lot of how-to's on it. You would have to get it keyed to match your current one, or just have two keys.
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the Jeep. You'll find some very knowledgeable and helpful folks on here.

I am sure someone will chime in and agree, or correct me, but I would be looking at your ignition switch. They are know to go bad, and are very easy to replace, at least in my 97', push in a detent at the bottom and the whole thing slides out. YouTube has a lot of how-to's on it. You would have to get it keyed to match your current one, or just have two keys.
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the Jeep. You'll find some very knowledgeable and helpful folks on here.

Thanks for the help, I took my ignition switch lock cylinder out but it seems fine so i'm gonna leave that for now. After taking this out I then took the actuator pin out and found out the metal surround was broken shown by the picture below.

IMG_20191116_114521.jpg

I assume this is what was blocking the key from turning to the ignition spring return position but would this be related to the issues I had starting it before it broke completely? Before it broke, it felt like i had full range of motion in the ignition switch but it still took 2-3 tries at turning it over to start.

I'll be replacing this and I've heard replacing the ignition switch (Not the lock cylinder barrel) is a good idea at this point too. I'll report back to help with anyone in the future that might see this.

I'll be purchasing this ignition switch: https://www.quadratec.com/products/55216_0013.htm
and this actuator pin: https://www.quadratec.com/products/55216_0017.htm

There's an OMIX ignition switch option there too, is crown seen as a decent brand so I can save some money?

If you get it back together and that fixes the turning of the ignition (key) but it still takes three turns or so to get it started, I’d be looking at the fuel pump. As it sits, the fuel is draining back into the tank, so when you try to start it, it takes awhile for fuel to get to the injectors. There is a valve that stops that drainage and they can go bad. Then as you cycle through the three or so turns of the ignition, it pumps the fuel back up to the injectors and it starts.
Thanks for the update, and let us know your progress.

Reactions: Goatman
Forgot to report back here. I ordered the amazon ignition switch Chris linked above. Installed it and key switch works perfectly now. Still having slow starting issues. Will have a look at replacing the fuel pump next when I get a chance. Cheers guys.

Do you hear the fuel pump cycle on when you turn the key? What is the fuel pressure at the fuel rail? I'd spend a bit more time trouble shooting before throwing cash at it.
Check what the battery voltage is. Check with a load tester. Check all your main battery cables and ground cables. Check sparkplugs and voltage at the coils. And compression. Then you will have a better idea where to spend the money.