Trough Trail 2020

Awesome video. @tworley it looks like you're growing out of that NP231 with all the tough trails you guys have been visiting. Looks like a great trail. @jjvw that was a nasty break. I'm surprised it happened when you were going more or less straight back and not when the wheels were completely turned.

Awesome video. @tworley it looks like you're growing out of that NP231 with all the tough trails you guys have been visiting. Looks like a great trail. @jjvw that was a nasty break. I'm surprised it happened when you were going more or less straight back and not when the wheels were completely turned.
The wheels were definitely turned when it happened. :)

Makes more sense. So has a hack saw made it into your trail bag yet?

I vote a plasma cutter instead. I heard York is working on an OBPC.

Good video. Was hoping to show my Dad around some of CO this September but Covid and the Jeep's semi-reliable status put that idea to an end.

Reactions: Alex01 and jjvw
Prehaps. It may be fun fitting that with the Savvy under armor though. My only concern would be, which could wrong, if installing an Atlas or np241 would require you to change your rear pinion angle and in turn mess with the outboard. I suppose if it did you could cut and reweld the lower mounts.

My jeep feels like a different rig with the 5:1. It's a lot more controlled and it's nice not dancing with the clutch. I'm sure the PSC steering is also a contributing factor though since I can actually turn in the rocks now.

Prehaps. It may be fun fitting that with the Savvy under armor though. My only concern would be, which could wrong, if installing an Atlas or np241 would require you to change your rear pinion angle and in turn mess with the outboard. I suppose if it did you could cut and reweld the lower mounts.

My jeep feels like a different rig with the 5:1. It's a lot more controlled and it's nice not dancing with the clutch. I'm sure the PSC steering is also a contributing factor though since I can actually turn in the rocks now.

Atlas is smaller than a 231 isn't it? If so, i think its just a matter of clocking it.
That would let me lower the pinion a bit. Not sure how drastic I can get before the outboard becomes a problem. I wish someone would make a 4:1 for the 231

I'd do an atlas 2 speed ASAP if I could figure out how to fit it under the Savvy UA. Even on 33's, I disliked the 231. On 35's with 4.56's it isn't all that fun to wheel. I've considered a Rubicon case but the driveline angles get too sketchy for my liking.

I think the Atlas is shorter than the 231 length wise but it is taller height wise. Could be wrong on that.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
Atlas is smaller than a 231 isn't it? If so, i think its just a matter of clocking it.
That would let me lower the pinion a bit. Not sure how drastic I can get before the outboard becomes a problem. I wish someone would make a 4:1 for the 231

Lengthwise yes but it is taller. I ended up adding 2.5" to my rear DS (SYE not SSYE) and removing around the same from the front. I have a no BL skid so I clocked it flat but you have tons of clocking options.
20200430_182218.jpg
20200430_182154.jpg

Last edited:
Tera-Low 4-1 you just can’t buy parts of it breaks.
FAEAAA82-BEDC-4D80-8693-307FE7EDEBD3.jpeg

Reactions: Alex01