TrueTrac Question: Will I have any issues reusing my stock ring gear?

liquidfluidity

TJ Enthusiast
I'm thinking about adding an Eaton TrueTrac to the rear of my 2002. My current gearing is 3.73. Will I have any issues reusing my stock ring gear?

I ask because,not often but sporadically, I see something about having to drill the bolt holes on the carrier. Maybe that's for anything under 3.54?

Is this true or is it a completely bolt on affair?

Tolerances are tight. Backlash should be between .006 and .010.

Thanks again. Before install ,I plan to take pics of the pattern and try to get as close as possible once the LSD is in.

don't go by pics, have a dial indicator to confirm your within tolerance.
pics can't give you the info you need if you have to make adjustments, have calipers or a micrometer on hand as well, just in case.
if you do have to move something that's where it gets tricky.

My idea was to clone the current set up, but you are definitely right. Measurements will be used before removal and during set up. I have all of the tools already.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: someguysjeep
I'm guessing that shim packs can be purchased anywhere or are they tricky to come by? Be nice to have them and not need them. ;)

haha your typin as i'm thinkin of it
not all shim packs are =, and it is possible, that if an adjustment is needed that the shim combo may or may not provide the right increments for adjustment so having some additional shims is not a bad idea (you should need just very thin shims to make very minor adjustments 1-3 thou max).