Trying to decide on TrueTrac & DuraGrip limited slip

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Thought I hit pay-dirt when I saw the post subject on this post, but the thread kind of went sideways... I am soon to be installing a limited slip. One shop recommended Yukon DuraGrip, without mention as to options or why they choose this over other limited slip diff's.

I am about to re-gear and want to do limited slip dif "while I am in there". Yukin DuraGrip and Eaton Detroit TrueTrac are what I keep coming across, and TrueTrac seems to be more popular here.

Everything I read does mention the friction modifier and periodic maintenance required for the DuraGrip. And doesn't the TrueTrac benefit from a little brake application to engage (I can have my facts wrong.. hence this post) and hence, better for an auto transmission?

I don't know what I don't know... Please school me on the difference between these two options relative to my use case. 2000 4.0, NV3550 5spd. About to add 4.56's. Daily Driver. Sees no rock crawling or hard routes, mainly soft outer beach sand, NE winters and dirt/fire roads to backcountry backpacking base camps.

I know nothing about Yukon's DuraGrip but I do know the Detroit Truetrac's reputation for quality and longevity is well known. I ran f/r Truetracs many years ago but once I got onto tougher terrain they stopped helping. Since you live where the roads get icy I'd still get a limited slip differential rather than a locker and based on the reputation of the Truetrac that's what I'd go with. And it requires no additives, it performs well on regular gear lube. Though 99% of the gear lubes on the store shelves already contain that additive, it's hard to find a gear lube without it. The back of the bottle will confirm if it has it by saying something like 'Compatible with limited slip differentials' as many LSDs do require it... but the Truetrac (being gear based and not clutch based) does not require it. Its presence will not degrade the performance of the Truetrac.

Brake application does help with limited slip differentials, I was just eventually on such tough terrain that it didn't help enough to have been of benefit to me which is why I converted both Truetracs to lockers which was a good decision for me and my offroad needs.

Edit: Upon further research I learned the DuraGrip works via a composite clutch which means it will need rebuilding in the future when its clutch wears enough for it to stop working. Its clutch is also why it requires a friction modifier to work properly. Based on that alone I'd go with the gear-based Truetrac which does not have a clutch pack to wear out. Based on that clutch alone I'd go for the Truetrac.

I think you are thinking of a Detroit Locker, not the Truetrac which is LSD. A Detroit, which I have it noisey and weird in wet/slippery conditions. Takes getting used to but it is a true locker and very reliable.

I think you are thinking of a Detroit Locker, not the Truetrac which is LSD. A Detroit, which I have it noisey and weird in wet/slippery conditions. Takes getting used to but it is a true locker and very reliable.

You could be right. I have no experience with any of them. Hence this post…

I’m inclined to do the TrueTrac if only to not have to worry about servicing in the future.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Personal experience after more than 25 years of use in an XJ, JK and TJ; the TrueTrac is an outstanding limited slip traction device that requires no maintenance, very durable, engages smoothly, you will not know its there until traction assistance is needed and can be engaged with a slight tap of the brake pedal.
The TrueTrac is recommended only for tires up to 33".

Sounds like you are perfect for the Truetrac. I would avoid the Detroit's locker (I have) unless you were wheeling hard and willing to put up with a bit of weirdness and noise.

Reactions: MikekiM
Staying with 33’s. Less than 15% chance I go to 35’s.

Engages with a tap of the brake….? I have a 5 speed. Can’t imagine heel-toe’ng in the TJ.

Last edited:
I'm the selectable locker type, but have to admit I'm impressed with the TrueTrac. Paired with a rear air locker, my front TrueTrac has exceeded my expectations off-road. It is quiet and rock solid dependable. However, like @Jerry Bransford stated, I wouldn't pair two Truetracs together for serious off-road use. If however you're looking for a daily driver LSD, and light trail riding, the Truetrac is it!

Last edited:
Staying with 33’s. Less than 15% chance I go to 35’s.

Engages with a tap of the brake….? I have a 5 speed. Can’t imagine toe-heeling in the TJ.
It engages automatically without any brakes but it performs better in tougher conditions when braking is added in the right way. Braking helps the engine to develop more torque that will help drive the tire with the most traction with more power.

This article I wrote years ago might help. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/why-do-i-need-a-locker-i-thought-i-had-four-wheel-drive.38643/

Why not install a selectable locker. It will cost a bit more but make your vehicle a lot more capable.
Think of the word "limited" when considering a limited slip.

Why not install a selectable locker. It will cost a bit more but make your vehicle a lot more capable.

If you read his first post, it's mostly for onroad driving and light beach/sand driving. In those conditions having a Limited Slip is better both in terms of daily use and cost effectiveness.

My TJ came with a factory LSD in the Dana 44 because I bought a TJ that was designed for USPS, and I can tell you that LSD works wonders both on and offroad. @MikekiM I would go with Jerry's suggestion of a TrueTrac.

Reactions: MikekiM and Irun
Fact pattern for this Jeep doesn’t warrant a selectable locker. I would prefer to have a limited slip that Is ‘on and available’ all the time. It’s a DD and sees mostly soft sand, snow, dirt/fire roads. I’m confident I am going in the right direction.

If you read his first post, it's mostly for onroad driving and light beach/sand driving. In those conditions having a Limited Slip is better both in terms of daily use and cost effectiveness.

My TJ came with a factory LSD in the Dana 44 because I bought a TJ that was designed for USPS, and I can tell you that LSD works wonders both on and offroad. @MikekiM I would go with Jerry's suggestion of a TrueTrac.
I am in agreement. I put the order for 4.56’s and TrueTrac.

Last edited: