Trying to Find a Squeak / Chirp

c_bronson

I know helping find a noise is hard when you're not in person, but I'm seeing if any of y'all have any ideas. I've spent about two weeks searching for it and reading suggestions online from all the forums and none of them seem to solve the issue.

I have a small squeak/chirp that happens only when driving. It's not consistent but it shows up when I hit vibrations in the road or small bumps.

It's not the front driveshaft as I've taken it off and driven and still there. I really don't believe it's any part of the suspension because I can't mimic the sound at all when shaking the jeep or really moving it. Plus I've thoroughly lubricated all suspension parts in search of this.

The sound 'appears' to be coming from under/behind the dash in front of the key switch to turn the airbag off (1999 TJ 4.0 w/Manual Transmission).

I've also tightened the exhaust bolts where the headers meet the exhaust pipe. I've tightened what I can on the interior plastics. It sounds more metal on metal and a light chirp if I had to describe it. I thought it could be shifter linkage for the transfer case but I've sprayed the heck out of it with WD-40, held it down, switched it to different positions and the chirp is still there.

Any ideas? It's hard to see up in that area from either under the Jeep or inside it. So I'm curious if anyone has suggestions before I start taking things apart. Normally I can deal with squeaks and such but this one just instantly gets under my skin when I start driving.

Could be fronts...When the bushings wear out and dry, the "ring" of the shock will shift over and you'll have metal on metal. Sounds are really hard to pinpoint sometimes...if you have a gopro, you could try it in various locations to get a better idea

Reactions: c_bronson
Check and see if your windshield frame bracket bolts are tight. I had a similar sound in the same place after changing the bolts due to a mishap with 1) keys being locked in the Jeep 2 hours away from the closest spare and a hard top on and 2) a drill. After I unbolted everything and put it back together the best I could. There was a definite squeak. Tightened it all up when i got replacement SS hardware and it went away. Just my 2¢.

WARNING: If you find they are loose, Be very careful to not strip them. I have had to drill out most of my bolts during the change to SS hardware. Those torx bolts are sooo soft. HEAT, PATIENCE, and maybe a little "tappy tap tap tap" will make things better. Those are all things I didn't know when I did mine...

Could be fronts...When the bushings wear out and dry, the "ring" of the shock will shift over and you'll have metal on metal. Sounds are really hard to pinpoint sometimes...if you have a gopro, you could try it in various locations to get a better idea
That makes sense, I tightened all the shock mounts but didn't check too well for bushings wearing out. I'll get out there this evening see if that's the issue.

Check and see if your windshield frame bracket bolts are tight. I had a similar sound in the same place after changing the bolts due to a mishap with 1) keys being locked in the Jeep 2 hours away from the closest spare and a hard top on and 2) a drill. After I unbolted everything and put it back together the best I could. There was a definite squeak. Tightened it all up when i got replacement SS hardware and it went away. Just my 2¢.

WARNING: If you find they are loose, Be very careful to not strip them. I have had to drill out most of my bolts during the change to SS hardware. Those torx bolts are sooo soft. HEAT, PATIENCE, and maybe a little "tappy tap tap tap" will make things better. Those are all things I didn't know when I did mine...
Are you referring to the lower brackets where the windshield pivots or the upper ones where it connects to the roll bars? I'll check both out. I just had some custom A-Pillar light bar mounts made and installed so I wonder if the guy didn't get them good enough.

@c_bronson The bracket where it folds down. If you just installed a light bar on the bracket, BINGO there's your squeak.
I'll check em out and see if they are tight or rubbing anywhere. Used the brackets for roof rack so now that you say that I guess it could be the rack attachment across the windshield also. So weird it sounds like it's in the cabin but I've seen a few people mention something to do with the windshield bolts so I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

IMG_6696.jpg

Mine was something in the e-brake system. It squeaked over every bump. I searched everywhere all over the Jeep, until pulling up on the handle slightly while driving one day.

It was winter so I put a scarf under the handle to raise it just a tiny bit thinking I would tightening everything in the spring during my lift. After the lift, it went away.

Mine was something in the e-brake system. It squeaked over every bump. I searched everywhere all over the Jeep, until pulling up on the handle slightly while driving one day.

It was winter so I put a scarf under the handle to raise it just a tiny bit thinking I would tightening everything in the spring during my lift. After the lift, it went away.
That's interesting, it makes sense though. Did your scarf trick work till you go the lift?

It worked most of the time. I'd have to stuff the scarf back under occasionally. :)

I could get similar results by pushing the handle to a side and holding it, but with a manual transmission that was difficult. I raised it maybe 1/16-1/8 inch at the farthest point by the button. So really minimal distance at the pivot point. Well below the point where the e-brake alarm and light turns on.

After the lift, I had totally forgotten about it. I took the scarf out and it didn't squeak anymore. So the lift tightened up the cable slack for me.

It took me a couple months of searching to find the culprit because it sounded like it was coming from behind the glovebox in the dash for a while, then by the passenger door at times.

Last edited:
It was the passenger side seat for me. I thought for sure it was coming from behind the dash. I took it apart 2 times in a year trying to find it. And one day I reached over and bumped it and squeak there it is. Sprayed it with a little lube been quiet ever since.

It was the passenger side seat for me. I thought for sure it was coming from behind the dash. I took it apart 2 times in a year trying to find it. And one day I reached over and bumped it and squeak there it is. Sprayed it with a little lube been quiet ever since.
Man I thought it was the seat for a little bit and it might still be but I guess I lubed the wrong parts of the seat hardware.
It worked most of the time. I'd have to stuff the scarf back under occasionally. :)

I could get similar results by pushing the handle to a side and holding it, but with a manual transmission that was difficult. I raised it maybe 1/16-1/8 inch at the farthest point by the button. So really minimal distance at the pivot point. Well below the point where the e-brake alarm and light turns on.

After the lift, I had totally forgotten about it. I took the scarf out and it didn't squeak anymore. So the lift tightened up the cable slack for me.

It took me a couple months of searching to find the culprit because it sounded like it was coming from behind the glovebox in the dash for a while, then by the passenger door at times.
I just went out and tried this and no luck with the E-brake as the source.

Went out and while my bolts were surprisingly loose, I tightened them up on both sides and still dang squeaking.

I've tried all the suggestions from this thread and no luck. While I was at a light I barely tapped my brake pedal and noticed a similar squeak. I thought maybe it was vibrating while driving but while driving I held the brake still with my other foot and still squeaking. I'm at a loss. But it's getting to the point I avoid driving my Jeep because it's infuriating.

Where exactly did you spray the lubricant? I've done the slides.

If it helps you this is the spot that was squeaking on mine. Also check the hood and hood prop.

View attachment 185335
Alright thanks for the picture! I've tried shaking and moving the seat to reproduce the squeak but I can't. I'm still gonna go out there and spray those areas.
That's what's so frustrating is I can't reproduce it unless I'm driving and the vehicle vibrations bring it out.

A squeak can drive you crazy. Mine would change with the humidity. At times it would sound like a nest of angry birds lol. Don’t give up! My hood prop was also touching the radiator slightly. When you find it give us a update.

Alright thanks for the picture! I've tried shaking and moving the seat to reproduce the squeak but I can't. I'm still gonna go out there and spray those areas.
That's what's so frustrating is I can't reproduce it unless I'm driving and the vehicle vibrations bring it out.
You have a GoPro? Strap it up where you think, underneath, and see if you can catch it. Long shot, I hate chasing squeaks, maddening, ugh.

Reactions: chad