Trying to Find a Squeak / Chirp

A squeak can drive you crazy. Mine would change with the humidity. At times it would sound like a nest of angry birds lol. Don’t give up! My hood prop was also touching the radiator slightly. When you find it give us an update.
Yeah, it's driving me nuts, but I'll keep searching. If I ever find it I'll for sure let y'all know. I tried having my wife ride with me but she was just as baffled and couldn't quite nail it down either.
You have a GoPro? Strap it up where you think, underneath, and see if you can catch it. Long shot, I hate chasing squeaks, maddening, ugh.
I do have a GoPro and I've thought about this, my only problem is, where I feel it is, is right between the firewall and the engine and it's so tight and dark right there I'm not sure if I could catch it. If I can't nail it down in the next day or so I'll give this a shot.

My most recent repairs had squeaks. Turns out they were Ujoints.

Furthest in rear and driver side axle.

See if the squeaks change with speed. Mine were most prominent at low speeds.

My most recent repairs had squeaks. Turns out they were Ujoints.

Furthest in rear and driver side axle.

See if the squeaks change with speed. Mine were most prominent at low speeds.
I'll give it a shot. From what I can tell it doesn't necessarily change with speed just when going over uneven road or bumps. When I hit a stretch of nice smooth road it doesn't happen.

Have you tried standing on the front bumper and bouncing the Jeep? This will simulate going over minor bumps. I found a squeak in mine that turned out to be the fender liner rubbing.

I have a squeak that sounds like it's in the brake booster. Did you mention you also heard a noise while braking?

These really can be really annoying! Chased one in my old '89 Bronco II that turned out to be the center hub of a cassette tape in the very 'hidden' bottom of the center console.

Reactions: c_bronson
Have you tried standing on the front bumper and bouncing the Jeep? This will simulate going over minor bumps. I found a squeak in mine that turned out to be the fender liner rubbing.

I have a squeak that sounds like it's in the brake booster. Did you mention you also heard a noise while braking?

These really can be really annoying! Chased one in my old '89 Bronco II that turned out to be the center hub of a cassette tape in the very 'hidden' bottom of the center console.
I've tried jumping the front bumper and haven't been able to hear it. I also thought I heard the squeak when I messed with the "play" in the brake pedal and could barely hear it. However, when I used my toes to hold the brake pedal up while driving I still heard the squeak. This one definitely is driving me nuts.

For those who are following/interested, here's today's adventure.

I took some time to teach my wife how to drive a manual today. After I felt she could safely drive around the neighborhood, I removed the back seat and while she drove I got in every conceivable position in the car to listen for the squeak.

I laid with my head in the passenger foot area with my feet in the air. Couldn't hear it too loud down there. I road with the door off and hanging out the front door and nothing outside. I removed the rear windows and rode hanging out the back near the wheel well. Nothing. I rode with the back door open and hanging underneath the car. Nothing.

I got home and removed the front seats. Still heard the chirp. So I know it's not the seats. Either front or rear. The inside was essentially empty minus the dash and steering wheel.

I removed the cowl and tightened the hood latch bolts and all the wiper bolts. Still squeaking.

I guess tomorrow I'm going to remove the dash completely. I genuinely don't believe it's the belt but in my head, I'm worried I'm gonna do that last and that'll end up being what it is. So I might just buy a new belt tomorrow for the hell of it.

Genuinely at a loss right now. I might disconnect the rear driveshaft to see if that's it. My wife and think we were able to simulate it when we slammed the doors but it didn't help to narrow it down because it didn't last long enough to locate. And yes I've ridden with the doors off and still squeaks.

I had a real high pitched squeak that drove me bananas. It was really random and I couldn’t duplicate it no matter what I did. Like a fork squeaking on a glass plate. Ended up being the two nuts behind the glove box that help secure the dash to the tub. Found them loose when I replaced the heater core. Good luck, things like this keep me awake at night.

My dash has a squeak. I can make it stop just by putting a little pressure on it near the radio.
I feel like I've pushed everywhere on the dash and no luck.
I had a real high pitched squeak that drove me bananas. It was really random and I couldn’t duplicate it no matter what I did. Like a fork squeaking on a glass plate. Ended up being the two nuts behind the glove box that help secure the dash to the tub. Found them loose when I replaced the heater core. Good luck, things like this keep me awake at night.
I'll have to check into this. I keep thinking it sounds like it's in that area but I haven't had much luck pinpointing anything. Thanks for your suggestion. I agree with keeping you awake part. It's easy when you know exactly what you need to fix but chasing something and not being able to find it is maddening.

I can report that it isn't the rear driveshaft. I removed it and drove around and definitely still there.
What two bolts are you referring to? I took the glove box out and was looking back there and couldn't nail down exactly where you were saying you had a problem.

I can report that it isn't the rear driveshaft. I removed it and drove around and definitely still there.

What two bolts are you referring to? I took the glove box out and was looking back there and couldn't nail down exactly where you were saying you had a problem.

These two right above the fuse block.
FD956AE2-8D00-43C4-A953-B4081DC92789.jpeg

Welp....I've completely lost my mind. The inside of my Jeep is completely stripped minus my driver's seat (which I've removed and reinstalled after verifying it's not the problem) and the steering wheel and the squeak persists. I've tightened every nut and screw I can see. Tomorrow I'm going to try to find a place to mount the GoPro underneath and see if I can find anything but I'm not hopeful as it's so inconsistent I'm not sure the GoPro will pick it up. After that I'm at a complete loss.

Do you have the stock front sway bar? Did you replace the sway bar bushings with poly bushings? I had a similar squeak that I could only reproduce when going over bumps. Turned out it was the new sway bar bushings, greased the hell out of them and it went away.

I also had a squeaking sound coming from the center console. It goes away if I push down on it while driving.

At this point I would do the tried and true "turn up the music until the sound goes away"

P.S speaking of music have you taken apart the radio assembly and made sure everything in there is nice and tight?

Was the squeak there before you installed the roof rack? Also have you tried removing it and see if that could be the issue?
It showed up before the roof rack, however the rack is coming off this week to get painted so I guess I'll know for sure that wasn't it.
Do you have the stock front sway bar? Did you replace the sway bar bushings with poly bushings? I had a similar squeak that I could only reproduce when going over bumps. Turned out it was the new sway bar bushings, greased the hell out of them and it went away.

I also had a squeaking sound coming from the center console. It goes away if I push down on it while driving.

At this point I would do the tried and true "turn up the music until the sound goes away"

P.S speaking of music have you taken apart the radio assembly and made sure everything in there is nice and tight?
I do have the factory sway bar but I didn't replace the bushing with Poly. And I've lubricated the heck out of it and moved it all around and it doesn't make a noise. And yeah my interior of the car is completely stripped except for my driver seat and steering wheel. The console is gone.

I found somewhere online that mentioned the hanger for the Catalytic converter causing similar symptoms to mine. So I went out and sprayed it with WD-40 and I noticed an improvement but I think the WD-40 is evaporating when the CAT gets hot. So I'm trying to figure out a suitable grease or lubricant to coat that hanger with that isn't too sensitive to heat. Any suggestions?

Well just to give a final update, I've checked everything I know to check & every suggestion from the internet and I can't find the chirp/squeak. It's honestly ruined my driving experience and I've loved driving my TJ for 12 years now. But that loud of a chirp and squeak isn't drowned out by music or road noise and it's just grating on my ears. Guess I'll keep hunting but wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions and help.