Trying to get air conditioning working

Hi guys!
I have finished my engine swap and put about 500 miles on my new 2.5L l4. I am now working on trying to get my A/C system working. I have no pressure, freon, or pag oil in it and I was hoping someone here would be able to help me through the steps. I know I need to put it on a vacuum, but how much oil and freon needs to be put in it? How much vacuum and for how long?
Thanks!!

If the system has been left open for a while, the best thing to do to start is to drain the oil from the compressor and dryer, as PAG oil will absorb moisture. You can do this by removing the compressor and dryer and dumping the oil out (measure what comes out of the compressor). Add 3.0oz of PAG to the dryer and the same amount that came out of the compressor back in. Add oil to the inlet side (low pressure) of the compressor (see table below). Then reinstall with new orings.
1582057411429.png

Then start is with a vacuum pump and a set of gauges.
Pull a vacuum for 20-30 min and then lock in the vacuum using the gauges and see if it holds. I would give it an hour or so. If it hold vacuum, that is a good indication that the system will hold a charge. If it hold vacuum then charge it up, if not you will have to located the leak and repair.

Reactions: Blondie70
I would suggest replacing the accumulator and the liquid line that houses the orifice before attempting any restoration, additionally I would pick up a refrigerant O ring kit and replace all the O rings making sure to use an O ring lubricant. A refrigerant flush of the evap and condenser coils would be a plus. Add refrigerant oil as suggested above and evacuate the system. Typicall I use about 2 - 12 oz cans for a complete fill.

Reactions: Blondie70
Thanks so much for the info! There is no fluid in the compressor or dryer so it will need a full top off. Is there any particular brand that you suggest for the refrigerant and oil?

Thanks so much for the info! There is no fluid in the compressor or dryer so it will need a full top off. Is there any particular brand that you suggest for the refrigerant and oil?

Nothing special, I usually hit Walmart for the $7.99 12 oz cans of 134A and any PAG oil is fine. Stay away from the refrigerant with stop leak though.

Hopefully I can get this all done today, it is pretty miserable to be here in Florida with no A/C. Also, are those charts for a 4.0L or a 2.5L?

Both, you can grab the field service manual from this site....

Under FORUMS / TJ RESCOURCES