Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Trying to get it mostly right the first time: A 5.9 Magnum, 46RE swapped and tummy tucked daily driver TJ

OP
Dan_Goodwin

Dan_Goodwin

Supporting Member
I’ve managed to make some really good progress over the last few weeks (to get back to where I was 2 months ago…)

The first order of business was to free the new engine from the donor truck. A few hours spent on a Friday after work:

01dea5ddb26d392aa0502e73c4068b46345dac5081.jpg

01565089294a8f3f441519d365395a99738923106b.jpg

I bought the truck knowing it had a 5.2L in it, but I was in for a surprise! Check out the casting number on the block!

01a2387dbeb608616af01a8fd591b8c77a8cbbc254.jpg

From here on it was a straight forward deal that I didn’t take many pictures of – old motor out of the Jeep, swap the oil pump, intake and timing chain to the new motor, throw some paint on it and reinstall.

01f6702e721a932bfd527333fdc8cd0b3f03134c38.jpg

I got all that done last week, but did learn something in the process…

5.2s are internally balanced whereas the 5.9Ls are externally balanced via the harmonic balancer and the flex plate - or so I thought. The engine had the correct harmonic balancer but no weighted flywheel. Odd. After research I discovered that prior to 1996 Dodge balanced the 5.9L via the torque converter, not the flex plate. I knew this engine had been changed at some point, so I found the casting date on the block to figure out what year this engine is – survey says 3/1994. That means that I should have had a weighted torque converter but since the truck and transmission is a 1999 it wasn’t weighted. I swapped the flywheel over from the old 5.9 and all was good.

My wife was out of town last weekend, which left me and the dog to work on the Jeep. We’re going to the beach at the end of this month and I’m determined to drive the TJ there – that meant this weekend needed to go well. The new motor was dropped in Friday night after work and hooked up for a test fire by Saturday morning. As a recap, the Jeep had started with the Durango PCM but immediately shut down likely due to SKIM or the Security feature (I’ve learned that there’s a difference between the 2 as well). I swapped in the PCM from the donor Ram, turned the key…

And it runs!

(Without shutting off)

I was both ecstatic and relieved to hear it run, really for the first time. I still have to sort out a P0753, P1764 and P0176 trouble codes but I’m guessing that’s related to a wiring issue with the transmission relay circuit I added. The rest of the day Saturday and part of the day Sunday were spent doing the last 10% of a project that seems to take 90% of your time (and really isn’t that interesting to read about).

I went ahead and ordered a new driveshaft from Adams so I can drive the TJ around with the Dana 35 for now. From my research, the 8.8 with a 1350 adapter flange should allow me to re-use this shaft with the new axle. With the new driveshaft in, the TJ moved under its own power Saturday night.

011f17b1220c3dd3371685be73006b8e4c7afd0e90.jpg

I have 14 days to get this done (enough) to drive 4 hours to the beach. Game on!

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
WOW score....

I'm not sure what happens if you do or don't run the correct flywheel or harmonic balancer based on which engine you have. The stroker engine I got has a internally balanced crank but the machine shop that assembled the engine used the Dodge 360 flex plate & balancer. I don't know if it was part of the running issues the OP had with it or not.

Yes the Durango and Grand Cherokee PCM's are a PITA to get to work & as you are learning the SKIM & security are two different things but both will keep the engine from running. Your best option for a PCM is always a Ram pickup from 1998-2000 and is the lower trim levels. While a 1997 PCM will allow the engine to run the gauges won't work.

SoCalGlide

FOG
Supporting Member
WOW score....

I'm not sure what happens if you do or don't run the correct flywheel or harmonic balancer based on which engine you have. The stroker engine I got has a internally balanced crank but the machine shop that assembled the engine used the Dodge 360 flex plate & balancer. I don't know if it was part of the running issues the OP had with it or not.

Yes the Durango and Grand Cherokee PCM's are a PITA to get to work & as you are learning the SKIM & security are two different things but both will keep the engine from running. Your best option for a PCM is always a Ram pickup from 1998-2000 and is the lower trim levels. While a 1997 PCM will allow the engine to run the gauges won't work.

It'll vibrate, and you can take out the bushing in the front pump of the trans and or crack the flex plate.

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
It'll vibrate, and you can take out the bushing in the front pump of the trans and or crack the flex plate.

Could explain some of the issues the OP was having. I bought a 5.2 flex plate for it and a harmonic balancer that doesn't have weights on it. Just seemed really strange that a machine shop would know enough to put an engine together correctly. Now I don't know if the OP gave the shop the stuff and didn't explain about the stroker crank? Just to be sure I had the crank checked when I had all my machine work done and it is an internally balanced crank.

OP
Dan_Goodwin

Dan_Goodwin

Supporting Member
Awesome. which radiator and fan combination did you come up with?

My current combo is an ebay aluminum TJ replacement radiator with a Spal 30101516 fan and a Mishimoto shroud I had leftover from the 2.5L. With this combo I have less than an inch to the water pump pulley but could pick up another inch if I cut the threaded portion off the water pump.

OP
Dan_Goodwin

Dan_Goodwin

Supporting Member
Used transmissions are always a gamble and a rebuild should be carried in your budget for a project like this.

Evidently my transmission rebuild is happening...now. Either the torque converter (which is brand new) or the pump in the transmission wiped itself out after the second test drive around the block, which was confirmed by the nice metallic / pearl color in the transmission fluid. It sucks, but its all part of this hobby and dealing with used parts. The plan now is to start selling and scrapping what I can to pay for the new transmission, keep finishing all the little details (that needed to get done anyway).