Trying to get this aftermarket door seal to fit

mrblue5150

Supporting Member
So I bought a new driver side door seal from ExtremeTerrain and it appears to be to big. Should I trim a bit off each side to get it to fit then try and seal it together. I dunno. I’m no expert at this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What exactly is too big? When I replaced the passenger side, the seal wasn't shaped properly and it would catch on the edge of the hard top when trying to shut it. The vendor at the time replaced it and the replacement seal fit much better.

If it is truly too big, I would ask XT to replace it. The door seal should be pretty snug against the outside of the door.

I do remember having to really work to get the top front corner to fit properly while getting the clips secured. It didn't sit perfectly flush at first, but it has since settled into place.

Reactions: mrblue5150
What exactly is too big? When I replaced the passenger side, the seal wasn't shaped properly and it would catch on the edge of the hard top when trying to shut it. The vendor at the time replaced it and the replacement seal fit much better.

If it is truly too big, I would ask XT to replace it. The door seal should be pretty snug against the outside of the door.

I do remember having to really work to get the top front corner to fit properly while getting the clips secured. It didn't sit perfectly flush at first, but it has since settled into place.
This is a pic. I am going with OEM for door seals. I put original back on. The reviews on Extreme Terrain are about 50-50 for fitment. You win some, you lose some. Having restored several Chevelles I know that aftermarket rarely fits the way you want it to and sometimes minor fabrication is necessary.

IMG_9454.JPG

This is a pic. I am going with OEM for door seals. I put original back on. The reviews on Extreme Terrain are about 50-50 for fitment. You win some, you lose some. Having restored several Chevelles I know that aftermarket rarely fits the way you want it to and sometimes minor fabrication is necessary.

View attachment 78298
Wow, that is much worse than mine was. I don't understand how there can be that much variation in manufacturing.

I'm impressed that you were able to get the old seals off without breaking the clips.

I did OEM seals. They felt a little big initially. I just made sure the clips lined up and then didn’t force the stretch issue for the top where it tucks in and they fit ok. I don’t know if I would have had that much left over had I stretched them any. I really like the OEM. The leak around the doors appears to be gone now and the doors close like a real Jeep now. I have a little seal sticking out around the soft top between the door and top. Jeep said that will probably cleat in its own given time. We will see. Everything fits good, doors and top I mean.
e60a16e7f00afbcdd3cd368315b1cdb0.jpg

Wow, that is much worse than mine was. I don't understand how there can be that much variation in manufacturing.

I'm impressed that you were able to get the old seals off without breaking the clips.
Worked those clips with needle nose pliers

I did OEM seals. They felt a little big initially. I just made sure the clips lined up and then didn’t force the stretch issue for the top where it tucks in and they fit ok. I don’t know if I would have had that much left over had I stretched them any. I really like the OEM. The leak around the doors appears to be gone now and the doors close like a real Jeep now. I have a little seal sticking out around the soft top between the door and top. Jeep said that will probably cleat in its own given time. We will see. Everything fits good, doors and top I mean. View attachment 78346

Were the OEM seals bigger than the door, if so how much. Were they a pain to install.

I had no trouble installing the OEM seals. I broke most of the clips taking the old off. But, the new came with all that was needed. They looked only slightly larger as I was trying to position things. But it became apparent very quickly there was no need to stretch it to make things fit. I wanted OEM even though they were more expensive. I figured they made more than 10 years before they showed wear. I just wanted things to work. No more water on the floors makes me happy.

I bought this for the driver's door and it's equivalent for the passenger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W67U6QS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I had no problem with the fit on either. On the driver's side, it cured a persistent leak at the upper forward corner. I just installed the passenger side and it hasn't rained yet, so the jury is still out.

Note that it arrives with a bunch more clips installed than you'll need. You can remove the ones you don't need easily with a pair of needle nose.

I believe you have a 2004-06 you need those extra clips. Might even be earlier years can't remember. Mine is a 98 and I got OEM seals that came with factory templates to add holes in the door for those extra clips like the later models had. More attachment points for the seals, an improvement on our earlier models.

I believe you have a 2004-06 you need those extra clips. Might even be earlier years can't remember. Mine is a 98 and I got OEM seals that came with factory templates to add holes in the door for those extra clips like the later models had. More attachment points for the seals, an improvement on our earlier models.

My 1998 had three or four extra holes not used by the OEM seal, but they just were plugged. I just had to remove the plugs and had extra clip points around the bottom.