Trying to Provide Guidance to JL Owner

Artisan

I am trying to help a couple fellow Jeepers make a good decision and could use some input. I work with two guys with JL Rubicon plans. One has their rig already, and one has plans to purchase a new 2022. The one with the JL already has lifted it and put on 35's. They both intend to put on 37's, but they both think re-gearing is not necessary. They think this because apparently they saw a YouTube video of a guy saying he went from 33's to 37's with no significant affect on drivability.

Especially interested in first-hand experiences I can share with these guys, because the conventional wisdom (at least for TJ's) seems to be that a re-gearing is pretty darned necessary when going from a 33" to a 37".

If they are fine with having less acceleration and lower mpg let them. You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. Don't be "that guy", just offer advice on re-gearing once and let them figure it out. If they put 37s on and the thing can't climb a hill maybe they will want to re-gear then. :LOL:

Reactions: Vasq and Artisan
I assume they have the 8-spd automatic? If so they will likely experience a lot of gear hunting when driving on road with 37s. They'll seldom even see 8th gear unless they have the ecodiesel. Like others have recommended, re-gearing is the only good option IMHO.

We just put 37s on our Ecodiesel JLU and I have no intentions of regearing as @Rockwalker mentioned. The performance from 0-10 feels a bit slower but after that, it feels the same as stock.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Vasq
We just put 37s on our Ecodiesel JLU and I have no intentions of regearing as @Rockwalker mentioned. The performance from 0-10 feels a bit slower but after that, it feels the same as stock.
We too have an EcoDiesel and see no reason to re-gear...plenty of extra torque at low rpm's. However friends with the v6 and turbo 4 all have changed to lower gears or plan to do so.

Reactions: Alex01
I can’t speak for 37” tires as I have 35” KO2’s on my auto equipped ‘21 Rubicon 4 door and after driving through the mountains of British Columbia I have absolutely no plans to regear. The new 8 speed isn’t even remotely close to the older autos.