Trying to tune CB antenna, SWR meter not moving during transmission

nk24

307 ► 602
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I’m trying to tune the existing 3’ antenna and a new 2’ antenna. Here’s what I have:

Uniden Pro 510 XL radio
Firestik 3’ antenna
Firestik 2’ antenna
Astatic PDC7 SWR meter
Jumper coax

I’ve followed the instructions for tuning, but when I transmit the SWR needle doesn’t move. Same result in both FWD and REF modes. Turning the calibration dial on the meter doesn’t do anything either. I’ve tried other channels too. Double checked my coax connections and the ground for the radio.

Any help is appreciated!

(Looking to switch to a 2’ antenna so I don’t have to take it off to pull into the garage)

Antenna mount on the OR-Fab tire carrier:
0D60608D-74A6-46EA-9D88-B621375C5315.jpeg

Is the radio transmitting a signal?
If so might be the meter or a break in coax jumper?

Also I would clean that rusty connector.

Is the radio transmitting a signal?
If so might be the meter or a break in coax jumper?

Also I would clean that rusty connector.
Not sure, haven’t heard anyone else on any channel yet.

Coax jumper and meter are brand new.

Then I would suspect the radio.
The meter should show a signal in the forward position..

Then I would suspect the radio.
The meter should show a signal in the forward position..
I was afraid of that. Not sure how that happened or if it was something I did. Might be time to move to GMRS anyway.

I’ve ordered a new 510 XL radio. I spoke with a local radio shop and they suspect the radio is toast as well.

For future reference, will the same coax I currently have from the radio to the antenna work for a GMRS radio to GMRS antenna? It would be nice to not have to re-run a cable to the rear.

Ya I too was afraid the radio was the issue.
The coax can work but it requires an antenna that operates in the 450mhz / 70cm band. CB is in the 27 mhz realm. I prefer NMO mount antennas when in the 2M/70CM. I use Larsen antennas. Does the GMRS radio come
with a mag mount antenna?
The Antenna Farm
20210328_003936_resized.jpg20210328_004124_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Ya I too was afraid the radio was the issue.
The coax can work but it requires an antenna that operates in the 450mhz / 70cm band. CB is in the 27 mhz realm. I prefer NMO mount antennas when in the 2M/70CM. I use Larsen antennas. Does the GMRS radio come
with a mag mount antenna?
The Antenna Farm
View attachment 238259View attachment 238260
I haven’t ordered a GMRS unit yet. I have been looking at the Midland units and hoping they will fit the CB bracket I have above the rear view mirror as well. I like the setup I have and would prefer not to change it.