Tub crack above body mount

starkey480

Jeep parts inbound
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Anyone get a crack like this on the tub above the body mounts? Is this something in serious need of repair and what are some methods you guys would use? I have very basic welding skills.

AEFA6097-AA00-45ED-B1F5-A3B4D50EF9F3.jpeg

Unless you can lay the jeep on its side or upside down, the weld will be either vertical or overhead, which is not easy for a novice welder. If you have to ask, it is probably not for you to attempt. The welds will have molten metal fall away if you get it too hot, which is easy to do on sheet metal then you have to fill the hole, which is upside down.

That is very thin steel. I think you would need a pretty large repair panel to do anything useful and those aren't exactly easy to weld. I'd check to be sure your body lift is all good like @strumble8 suggested and forget about it. Frame is all that really matters to me. As long as I can't see pavement under my feet I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That is very thin steel. I think you would need a pretty large repair panel to do anything useful and those aren't exactly easy to weld. I'd check to be sure your body lift is all good like @strumble8 suggested and forget about it. Frame is all that really matters to me. As long as I can't see pavement under my feet I wouldn't worry too much about it.
that would probably require the body mount to be removed, cut away the side to see what damage is there, remove and treat as much corrosion as possible, and then make a 18ga patch with the correct bend radius to roll around the bottom, then weld it in. Prime then paint..

Reactions: DrDmoney
that would probably require the body mount to be removed, cut away the side to see what damage is there, remove and treat as much corrosion as possible, and then make a 18ga patch with the correct bend radius to roll around the bottom, then weld it in. Prime then paint..
Do you think it’s worth getting it done or just leave it? My only worry would be that there’s corrosion inside and the crack gets worse

Reactions: DrDmoney
Your Jeep, your problem. Do what you want. The metal already cracked. That means its being stressed in an excessive way, or it never would have cracked to begin with. And now it is cracked, which means it's weaker. And it's on a body mount, which means it's compromising one of the 11 places where your body bolts to the frame. Weaken one, and you'll start placing more stress on the other 10, especially the 2 adjacent.

What do you do with the Jeep? How long do you want it to last? What shape is the Jeep in, and is it worth doing a potentially expensive repair, especially if you're paying someone else to do it.

I think it compromises the safety of the Jeep, and yes I think it should he taken care of. But it's your Jeep.

The crack was actually there before the jks body lift. Is there a good point of entry to try and get the rust out of there?

If it’s just the only mount, from all the fab shops I talked to, the tub isn’t unsafe, but it is going to get worse. If you’re going to have someone work on it, have them replace that area with something like the Safe-T-cap part instead of just patching it up and having to do it again correctly after.

Reactions: starkey480
If it’s just the only mount, from all the fab shops I talked to, the tub isn’t unsafe, but it is going to get worse. If you’re going to have someone work on it, have them replace that area with something like the Safe-T-cap part instead of just patching it up and having to do it again correctly after.
Awesome had no idea that existed but seems like a great last resort option. I think I’d like to try and patch it first but it is also like this on the passenger side of the car same mount as well...

I'd either pull the spacers out or replace with metal ones first. Otherwise you will be welding more stress into the tub. To me it looks like the rust is the primary fault. The body mount secondary. If you are going to cob the job then go ahead. But if you are having to pay a shop to fix it then actually fix it right. M two cents.