Tub leaking from rain, wait what?

BuildBreakRepeat

Occasional Genius
Supporting Member
Okay so I’ve been having a small leak every time it rains here in Oregon...which is often! The leak puddles up on the passenger side floor. Now, no carpets means I can see the exact place water is coming in from. I ran my hand around the top, checked the A/C discharge, door seal...DRY. Now I take a closer look at the tub seam where Jeep puts that weird sealant they paint over and it’s soaking wet, I’m thinking my gen right sliders are trapping water between the tub and eventually working it’s way though the seal. Tell me what ya think! Keep in mind - everything is dry inside except for the passenger floor and the seam below the door...
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

You could unbolt the slider one by one and seal the holes and washer with construction adhesive like liquid nails. I'd still think it's from the windshield or it's frame somewhere and is just drying before you get to it.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
If it is leaking through the slider bolts.... Seal them with 100% silicone or 3M 5200 marine adhesive.... Construction adhesive is more for bonding,not that it wont seal it, but it will be miserable to remove if ever needed...

I’ve had mine since new in 1999, and I often noticed the carpet was wet inside the passenger side door, but never did anything about it. I pulled the carpet back last year, cleaned the floor good and coated it. It’s in the garage most of the time now, but maybe I will look at the door seals anyway.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
This has been happening to me for years. The water could not drain because of the leaves and muck build up. I finally decided to remove the cowl in front of the windshield. I believe there are six bolts. You will have to open the hood. Clean the muck out. Use a wire coat hanger to push the drain tube clean. Run water through to make sure it is unplugged. Water should now flow and drain under the Jeep. Wipe down the cowl (I could see the water line mark from the pollen). Put the cowl back on. No more leaking.

What had happen was. The cowl because clogged from the pollen and dirt and leaves. When it rained the cowl would fill with water because the drain tube was clogged. It would overflow into the large fresh air hole in front of the passenger side windshield. Let me know if this was helpful or worked.

Just washed mine the other day, had a good stream under the engine compartment, so I’m pretty sure the cowl drain is clear.