Tuffy's security center console installation

Jerry Bransford

Retired to more relaxed pastures... bye.
Supporting Member
After not having any truly secure storage in my ’04 TJ the last eight years since buying it, I was finally able to install a Tuffy complete center console earlier this week. For those who don't know Tuffy, they make the most secure storage products available for our Jeeps. No exaggeration there. They are highly pry and theft resistant.

I had installed three Tuffy storage devices in my previous (stolen) TJ and greatly missed not having any secure storage in my present TJ. There was no truly secure place for anything of value like my GPS. For those of us who occasionally have to leave valuables in our Jeeps at times, you know it’s not a good feeling. The factory plastic glove box and center console doors only keep the honest people out. To a thief, they would only slow him by a few seconds.

These are its main three components: the front shifter console, the center console with a thickly padded center armrest, and the rear cup holders. There's no back seat in my Jeep but those rear cup holders come in handy anyway. Everything is constructed from 16 gauge steel and the construction process and welds are all first-rate. It came well packaged to protect against shipping damage. Hardware was all in a single sealed plastic bag, nothing was loose to lose. The main mounting hardware is Grade 8.

On-floor-1_zpsgaenmdgv.jpg

First things first. I have wider than normal PRC racing seats so they had to come out. Fortunately only four bolts hold them in. You may not need to take your factory seats out though it would make the process a little easier. My TJ was disgustingly filthy after getting the seats out which gave me reason to at least vacuum the dirt and rocks out.

Old-Console-drivers-side_zpswrvpzpxo.jpg

Installing the new console is straight forward. You re-use two threaded holes in the floor, and you then need to drill two more 3/8” holes to install the steel mounting bracket. The two Grade 8 5/16" bolts supplied in the kit that pass through the floor add substantial strength and theft resistance. The mounting bracket secures the top of the console to the floor so it can’t be pried off.

This shows how the mounting bracket installs and secures the console to the floor, Tuffy’s diagram was better than my photo…

Mounting-Bracket_zpsxorahoof.jpg

Reinstalling the subwoofer into the Tuffy console is just a bolt in, its wiring harness just plugs in. The subwoofer does take quite a bit of room inside the console which reduces how much the console opening can hold. It still provides nearly triple the space the factory console provides. The standard non-speaker Tuffy console's console storage is huge by comparison.

Subwoofer_zpsl6epernk.jpg

With a two more screws to bolt the front shifter console to the center console and bolt the shifter to the floor mounting bracket, the console is now in and ready for use. The shifter bezel just snaps into place and so does the forward coin holder or airbag control switch. Everything is a perfect fit.

Front-side-with-seat_zpswfd0xk7o.jpg

Top-front-cup-holder-view_zpsvzsfyqyu.jpg

As you can see here, I also added my B&M transmission temperature gauge to the console which only required drilling a 2 1/16” hole. There was plenty of room behind where I mounted the gauge for the wiring.

Top-View-facing-front-lit-u_zps2vgrexv0.jpg

This is the top locking latch mechanism, it is very beefy. And when you close the console, it feels like a vault closing. No wiggle or flex, it closes with a solid clunk. The armrest padding is covered with a good heavy grade of marine vinyl.

Upper-Latch-1_zpsbzafoxt2.jpg

Here’s the lower half of the latch.

Lower-latch_zpsnfrveu6j.jpg

At last I can keep everything like my GPS, ear plugs, headlamp, flashlight, special tools, etc. It’s the GPS I was always worried about, it has all my trails stored in it.

Inside-with-GPS_zpsdcjcmmeg.jpg

Overall I’m just plain stoked to finally have Tuffy back in my Jeep. Whenever I can I’ll replace my glove box with their replacement.

It’s a solid and secure product, it's really nice to have. It looks good too!

Here's a link to the console for further information: https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-135-tj-speaker-full-security-console.aspx

Last edited:
Interesting! I really like this.

Jerry, did your factory console come with built in CD holders? I feel like the storage is deeper in my '05. But I'm probably wrong.

Do you know the dimensions of the storage area of the tuffy console?

Edit: I found the specs on the site.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Interesting! I really like this.
Jerry, did your factory console come with built in CD holders?
The OE factory console with the subwoofer inside, at least in my 2004 model, doesn't have room for CD holders. Its storage space is ridiculously small. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: glwood
I have the older model of the Tuffy rear fender well speaker/storage boxes I got off craigslist for cheap. They're great. want to get the center console and glove box one day as well

FYI @Jerry and everyone else. I noticed in the picture there's AA batteries in the counsel and if those batteries touch each other it can short and start a fire. I work at Underwriters laboratories and when we don't use batteries we seal them in a small zip lock bag. You can also tape the ends of the batteries and be safe that way. When disposing batteries in the garbage at home or work, make sure the ends are taped or in a bag before tossing them in the trash.

Safety tip of the day, passing on this info will keep us safe from fires by doing this simple task.

Thanks for the write up @Jerry Bransford, you have taught me more than you will ever know with your TJ knowledge. I plan on installing one of these at some point, and this will help immensely. You gotta clean that Jeep tho man, or has it become like a dirty hard hat, a symbol of pride and time? I know you have said how filthy it is in the past but WHOA doggy.:eeeeek:

Interested in selling your stock console? Mine didn't come with one and I am mostly interested in just having an armrest.
Sorry but it is already down at the dump, the trash was picked up yesterday. But if I had known you could have used it, I would have cleaned it up and and sent it to you for free. Bummer.

Reactions: StG58
The last Tuffy item I purchased; the lock and key systems had 5 digits with a leading 4. These keys are used for cabinets, F43 master keys are easily obtainable over here, you can order them online. hopefully Tuffy don't use this system anymore.

I love Tuffy products. I have a glove box and a console and they hold more trash than I could ever possibly need storage for. Not to mention they offer extremely secure storage when I need it for something like leaving my laptop in the Jeep for a period of time or other similar valuables like locking my phone and wallet up at the beach. The fact that you can order the locks to all work together is icing on the cake. :thumbsup:

Does the Tuffy glove box have a larger storage capacity, or is the selling point simply the security & strength of it?
Its interior is not quite as large as the OE glove box is, its selling point is its security and strength. I had one in my previous TJ, it was great. It can be keyed by Tuffy when you order it so it and other Tuffy products use the same key.

Its interior is not quite as large as the OE glove box is, its selling point is its security and strength. I had one in my previous TJ, it was great. It can be keyed by Tuffy when you order it so it and other Tuffy products use the same key.
Good to know, thanks. It would be nice to have keyed the same as my under seat lock box.