Tumble seats on both sides?

B1Toad

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I'm about to order the Tuffy under front seat drawer that I just found out about and they make it for a tilt and a non tilt seat. They say your build sheet will say "East Access Tip and Slide Seat". Well my build sheet says "Easy Access Pass Tip & Slide Pass Seat" but it doesn't mention one for the driver's seat, however I think I have it. The driver's seat has the little cloth pull tab and when you jerk on it the seat does tilt up and slide forward but not as nearly far as the passenger side, probably because the steering wheel is there. Only a very skinny kid could squeeze past it and into the rear seat. So I'm guessing I need to order the one for the tilt seat unless I'm missing something?

tumble1.jpg

tumble2.jpg

You are correct. You have a tilting drivers seat. Due to the mechanism there is less room under the seat. The box for the tilting seas is less than half the size of the non tilting. If you need the larger one you could replace your tilting base with the non tilting. I did this on my drivers seat as I never used the tilt function.

You are correct. You have a tilting drivers seat. Due to the mechanism there is less room under the seat. The box for the tilting seas is less than half the size of the non tilting. If you need the larger one you could replace your tilting base with the non tilting. I did this on my drivers seat as I never used the tilt function.

Thanks, that's an idea. Maybe I can find the non-tilt seat base and put my seat on it, or is the seat itself totally different?

Reactions: Rickyd
Thanks, that's an idea. Maybe I can find the non-tilt seat base and put my seat on it, or is the seat itself totally different?

The no tilting base is easy to find. They are all over ebay for around $40. Local wrecking yards might have some also. They are 2 separate pieces that attach to the bottom of the seat slider and your seats will bolt up fine. Just make sure to get the 97-02 for your Jeep. I believe the difference in the 03-06 is that they lowered the seats in the later years. I'm not sure if there were any other differences. Lucky for you the earlier years seem to be more plentiful.

Reactions: SSTJ
The no tilting base is easy to find. They are all over ebay for around $40. Local wrecking yards might have some also. They are 2 separate pieces that attach to the bottom of the seat slider and your seats will bolt up fine. Just make sure to get the 97-02 for your Jeep. I believe the difference in the 03-06 is that they lowered the seats in the later years. I'm not sure if there were any other differences. Lucky for you the earlier years seem to be more plentiful.

I haven't seen very many, most are the folding/tilting ones. I found one rusted out POS for $49 and a decent one for $71 https://www.ebay.com/itm/3554794693...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Reactions: 06lj
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
If I change to the slide only base will my seat back still lean forward, Right now the seat back tilts forward and the seat bottom tilts up as the seat also slides forward, Will I only lose the seat bottom tilting/lifting up and keep the seat back tilting forward function?

Last edited:

Now I have another project for the LJ. My fold and tumble often gets stuck anyway. I would like to have the bigger Tuffy box. When I learned how small the other one is I passed. Thanks.

Now I have another project for the LJ. My fold and tumble often gets stuck anyway. I would like to have the bigger Tuffy box. When I learned how small the other one is I passed. Thanks.

I believe I have the longer tuffy under my fold and tumble seat. I have seat risers or it wouldn’t work.

The seat risers are great for stock seats but my mastercrafts sit a bit high.

I believe I have the longer tuffy under my fold and tumble seat. I have seat risers or it wouldn’t work.

The seat risers are great for stock seats but my mastercrafts sit a bit high.

My friend that I sold my TJ to wanted the 2 inch risers my LJ came with so I swapped them before I sold it to him. He travels extensively so it's common for me to be at his property and move vehicles around. Every time I drive his Jeep I HATE those risers. Too high, I hit my head on the roll bar every time getting in. I would easily give up drivers fold and tumble for a seat that would allow larger storage underneath. Cant believe I did not think of it before. Problem is the only one I found on eBay was rusted (they all are) and $150!

If I change to the slide only base will my seat back still lean forward, Right now the seat back tilts forward and the seat bottom tilts up as the seat also slides forward, Will I only lose the seat bottom tilting/lifting up and keep the seat back tilting forward function?

I think so. Given how the cable mechanisms work, I cannot see how a change in seat base would interfere with the basic tilt function of the seatback.

My friend that I sold my TJ to wanted the 2 inch risers my LJ came with so I swapped them before I sold it to him. He travels extensively so it's common for me to be at his property and move vehicles around. Every time I drive his Jeep I HATE those risers. Too high, I hit my head on the roll bar every time getting in. I would easily give up drivers fold and tumble for a seat that would allow larger storage underneath. Cant believe I did not think of it before. Problem is the only one I found on eBay was rusted (they all are) and $150!

The older TJ’s had seats that sit higher than the newer ones. An old one with risers could be quite tall.

Mine still leans and slides forward when released. I just removed the tilt cable so it wasn't hanging loose under the seats.

Ah so I don't need everything like I linked in post #5? I just need those 2 fixed brackets?

Ah so I don't need everything like I linked in post #5? I just need those 2 fixed brackets?

You just need the 2 base pieces. There are 6 studs on the seat sliders that will attach to either base. Since you have a complete seat you just need to swap out the base.

Reactions: B1Toad
Installing the Tuffy safety box is tight and you need to position the box perfectly so you can still slide the seat forward and backward.
I installed one in my 01 with fold and tumble in both seats.

Reactions: SSTJ