Tummy Tuck Question

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
So I have a dilemma, I have been told that when you are at a high suspension lift and do a nearly flat tuck, you have problems when rotating the pinion up so high, also will have some issues with exhaust hitting? I plan to do 3.5" springs, (currently on 3"), jb conversions SS SYE 1310 style, tom woods DC driveshaft, savvy control arms, and a UCF ultra high clearance skid. Do you guys think ill have any problems with that much of a tuck on 3.5" of SL? Forgot to mention I also have a 1" MML and 1.25" BL.

Most guys are doing 4" of spring lift and a Savvy Tuck (which is about the same as a UCF ultra clearance). Most don't have issues. Not to say that you won't. @JMT just went through it with about the same lift and the Savvy as well. Every jeep is different and unfortunately you can't predict what is going to happen to YOUR jeep based on a given set of parts. Once you start modifying to the level that is required for a tummy tuck, you're into custom vehicle territory and everything needs to be looked at, thought about, checked for clearance, etc. Even if all the parts are made to "bolt in," its all custom.

You'll probably be fine. Exhaust is easy to figure out. You can have any mom and pop shop bend new pipe to clear any issues. Or if your handy with a welder...

Bumpstops not lining up, lower shock mount positioning, and driveline bind can be an issue. Cycle your suspension when everything is in to determine what issues, if any, you have.

Reactions: WHBNM, JMT and D M
On a TJ with 4" of suspension lift and a Rokmen tuck (not even as flat as the Savvy tuck) I had tons of issues.

This is where the short driveline of the TJ really becomes apparent. My track bar was contacting the fuel tank skid. As oppose to messing around with different track bars (which may have solved it), I decided to get a GenRight tank, which gave me more room than I could have ever imagined. However, that didn't change the fact that the spring perches were now so far tilted that the springs wouldn't seat correctly (without relocating the spring perches), and the exhaust needed to be seriously re-worked.

Reactions: -T. and D M
On a TJ with 4" of suspension lift and a Rokmen tuck (not even as flat as the Savvy tuck) I had tons of issues.

This is where the short driveline of the TJ really becomes apparent. My track bar was contacting the fuel tank skid. As oppose to messing around with different track bars (which may have solved it), I decided to get a GenRight tank, which gave me more room than I could have ever imagined. However, that didn't change the fact that the spring perches were now so far tilted that the springs wouldn't seat correctly (without relocating the spring perches), and the exhaust needed to be seriously re-worked.
This is where im worried lol, some say ill be fine, and others say stuff like this. I am at a crossroad.

This is where im worried lol, some say ill be fine, and others say stuff like this. I am at a crossroad.

Prepare for a rabbit hole. In other words, hope for the best, but expect (and budget) for the worst.

a 3.5" lift and a nearly flat tuck is going to be the equivalent of around 7.5" of suspension lift. Imagine what that does to your driveline angles, especially on a TJ with an already short rear driveshaft.

You'll need to relocate spring perches, modify bits of the exhaust (best to let an exhaust shop do this), and you may or may not run into issues with the rear track bar hitting the fuel tank skid. I hear the Currie rear track bar is the best bet for a tuck in terms of fitment and not contacting things. Mine was a JKS rear track bar, and it had serious issues.

I certainly wouldn't use a JKS rear track bar again if I was going to tuck it.

Reactions: D M
In other words, hope for the best, but expect (and budget) for the worst.

About the best statement there is:LOL:

I certainly wasn't expecting the problems I had, but I've also never seen anyone else have the issues I had. My savvy tuck required about $1k more than I had originally anticipated. A supershort sye was needed to replace the regular sye, which also required my dc shaft to be lengthened, and a speedohealer to be installed. My bumps didn't line up, my shocks were f'd, so we clocked all new brackets on the axle forward to solve the issues. But I would do it all over again if I had too. As was mentioned, you're getting far off the path of simple "bolt on" projects, but the outcome is definitely worth it when offroad

Savvy skid with 4" of spring on mine. I've got all the fine tuning of the springs, shocks and stuff. It works well.

I guess this just goes to show everyone can have a different experience, and there are so many variables at play.

That's why I said, you've got to at least budget for the worst case scenario.

Prepare for a rabbit hole. In other words, hope for the best, but expect (and budget) for the worst.

a 3.5" lift and a nearly flat tuck is going to be the equivalent of around 7.5" of suspension lift. Imagine what that does to your driveline angles, especially on a TJ with an already short rear driveshaft.

You'll need to relocate spring perches, modify bits of the exhaust (best to let an exhaust shop do this), and you may or may not run into issues with the rear track bar hitting the fuel tank skid. I hear the Currie rear track bar is the best bet for a tuck in terms of fitment and not contacting things. Mine was a JKS rear track bar, and it had serious issues.

I certainly wouldn't use a JKS rear track bar again if I was going to tuck it.
I think i'm probably going to go with the "no body lift required skid", all of that seems a lot of hassle for 1 extra inch of clearance comparing this one to the flat one

Reactions: Chris
I have the UCF extra tuck with LOPRO, 3.5" spring lift and no body lift, and a "mega short" SYE. The only issue I had was the exhaust hitting the tub, but it just touches it so I didn't have to cut and weld it. It does rattle sometimes lol. So you should be fine with the body lift but it will likely be tight like mine is.

Not saying you won't have spring perch issues like Chris mentioned: my axles are off another TJ which I think had a 6" lift and have aftermarket brackets and spring perches which were probably positioned for that lift.

I think i'm probably going to go with the "no body lift required skid", all of that seems a lot of hassle for 1 extra inch of clearance comparing this one to the flat one

There are three: no body lift, extra clearance, and ultra clearance. I think the difference between each is ~1" clearance. Make no mistake, 1" in the middle of your Jeep is huge.

If you are worried about it I would get the extra clearance instead of the ultra clearance. I think you will find you have plenty of room with the body lift. If it turns out you do not, then buy the LOPRO and you will definitely have enough room.

I just checked their website and it looks like UCF only has two options for the 02 and earlier model TJ's: no body lift and ultra clearance. Don't know if that's a fluke or not.

Another option to consider is the Barnes bolt-on. Not as much clearance as the UCF I think, but it's cheaper: https://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-TJ-Bolt-On-Skid-Plate_p_867.html

Edit: Elsewhere on UCF's site they do show an "ultra clearance" option for the '02 and earlier models. Who knows.

Don't judge me negatively but.....I bought the extra clearance skid (middle of the three) and also a 1 inch drop kit off of eBay. That way if I can use the extra clearance skid I'm good. If it is too much I can add the spacers. I can also add the spacers then take them out when I do the rest of the work needed to fit the flatter skid.

Reactions: Mobusaki
I have the UCF ultra clearance with about 5” of total lift (3.75” of SL and 1.25 BL). The only issue is really ran into was with the exhaust. I did some custom work on the cat so it sat lower.

I also cut about an inch off tail pipe at the muffler. This mostly worked, but I keep smashing the back of my tailpipe and knocking it out of the muffler opening. I’m now just running a 6” downturn off the muffler.

I run a JKS rear trackbar and it’s super close to the tank skid, but doesn’t touch. I have about an extra inch on my driveshaft since I have a 2.5 with the AX-5. Good luck!

Don't judge me negatively but.....I bought the extra clearance skid (middle of the three) and also a 1 inch drop kit off of eBay. That way if I can use the extra clearance skid I'm good. If it is too much I can add the spacers. I can also add the spacers then take them out when I do the rest of the work needed to fit the flatter skid.

I think that's a great approach. Buy for clearance and add spacers if you can't fit it yet. I wish I had thought of that and got the ultra clearance instead.

Yes, for $23 I did not have to worry any more if I was buying the right skid.

I'm really kicking myself now for not thinking of that. I have no body lift so I was worried about the whole thing and wanted to be certain it would work, so I got the extra clearance. But it looks like I have enough room to raise everything even more, and I'm OK with denting the tub from underneath to make some more room if needed. I bet I could have fit the ultra tuck with just the LOPRO mount. :(

Reactions: Viking Jeeper