Turn signal gremlin

jeepXcore

TJ Enthusiast
So over the weekend, my left turn turn signal began blinking very rapidly(a tell-tale sign a bulb is out). I got out and found that my rear tail light seemed to be out. I replaced the bulb, and it now works, but it's still blinking rapidly like it's out.

Thoughts?

I would yank that bulb and clean out the socket really good, and then pop it back in and see if that does the trick.

Also make sure all the connections on that rear tail light housing are tight and nothing is loose.

Yep, first thing I would do is also yank the bulb(s) and clean out the socket with some steel wool or a wire brush.

This almost certainly sounds like a bad connection with one of the bulbs.

X2. Dirty or corroded sockets, loose bulbs or bulbs that weren't inserted correctly, regularly cause turn signal issues like fast flashing because they can all mimic a burned out bulb..

I have the same issue, albeit intermittently. The issue is (was?) an improperly installed trailer connector. U-Haul installed a trailer hitch and connector for the PO with the usual quality. When I removed it, I started having issues with the left turn signal. Need to get under there and fix the wiring where U-Haul spliced in. Only when the wiring gets wet from snow build up or when the wheel wells get hosed out.

So update: While I was on the trails, my buddy driving behind me informed me that while my lights were on, the light that was having issues was bright red constantly(like I was braking on that side) when I turned the lights off, I acted the same way I described in my original post.

Yesterday while I was washing the car off, I swapped bulbs(the problem light with the light that's working), and the problem light was no longer acting up(now both tail lights work as they should, with the same bulbs) :roto2nuse: Not sure what that was all about, but ok. Maybe my left brake light is just picky about bulbs.