Turn signals work, but hazards don't

Most cars have separate flashers for turn signals and flashers. I am not sure about the TJ, but you could have a bad flasher flasher if that is the case here. Do they come on and just stay on or nothing at all?

Hey guys. Just bought a ‘97 TJ this week and was checking the lights and turn signals last night. All 4 turn signals work as they should but when I put the hazards on, the front passenger side does not come on at all but all other 3 lights do. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys. Just bought a ‘97 TJ this week and was checking the lights and turn signals last night. All 4 turn signals work as they should but when I put the hazards on, the front passenger side does not come on at all but all other 3 lights do. Any ideas?

Did you ever get an answer to this?

Did you ever get an answer to this?

Having this problem on a '97 as well, all turn signals work fine and dandy, but the hazards don't. It's got to be the switch on the steering wheel right? I checked all fuzes, pulled out the combo flasher and reattached, and made sure all the connections were snug.

The contacts in the flasher switch get gummed up from never being used. Some bulbs may work, or none. The quick fix is to spray some WD40 where the plastic part goes in to the switch mechanism. You don't have to remove the shroud. Then cycle the switch on and off rapidly until it starts working. Sometimes it takes a second shot of lube.

Thanks for the tip - tried that, WD40 and rocked the hazards back and forth a ton, but no luck. Replaced the turn signal/hazard switch as well, still the same issue - the turn signals all work but the hazards don't engage.

Any ideas on where this could be then? I assumed the turn signals/ hazards used much of the same circuit.

Edit: Rechecked the fuzes still no luck, also replaced the flasher, even though I wouldn't think it would help. An interesting find is that the hazard switch disables the turn signals, but I figure that is inherent to the turn signal switch.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip - tried that, WD40 and rocked the hazards back and forth a ton, but no luck. Replaced the turn signal/hazard switch as well, still the same issue - the turn signals all work but the hazards don't engage.

Any ideas on where this could be then? I assumed the turn signals/ hazards used much of the same circuit.

Edit: Rechecked the fuzes still no luck, also replaced the flasher, even though I wouldn't think it would help. An interesting find is that the hazard switch disables the turn signals, but I figure that is inherent to the turn signal switch.
HI!!! I am desperately looking for the answer to this as well!! did you figure it out? all turn signals work, replaced switch, relay, checked fuses, nothing! so frustrating, can't pass inspection. Mine is a mint 1997 TJ 2.5l

HI!!! I am desperately looking for the answer to this as well!! did you figure it out? all turn signals work, replaced switch, relay, checked fuses, nothing! so frustrating, can't pass inspection. Mine is a mint 1997 TJ 2.5l

I isolated it to the specific wire that powers the hazards - the one that lets them work while the engine is off. It was a tiny bit to corrosion under the fuze box, cut it out, patched, and all good. This is it - and how small it ended up being.

Edit - and if you are in Metro West, DM me! Always happy to help and talk to another TJ owner!

mqYTe6Q.jpg

I isolated it to the specific wire that powers the hazards - the one that lets them work while the engine is off. It was a tiny bit to corrosion under the fuze box, cut it out, patched, and all good. This is it - and how small it ended up being.

Edit - and if you are in Metro West, DM me! Always happy to help and talk to another TJ owner!

View attachment 328268
wow, was this the harness attached to the turn signal/hazrd swich? blueish wire white stripe?

wow, was this the harness attached to the turn signal/hazrd swich? blueish wire white stripe?
Yep, but right under the fuze. I had to take the whole box off and rotate it like in the picture to find the fault.

I would start by trying to isolate the problem, I narrowed down the location of the fault by running a test wire from the fuse to the switch, then just started looking down the harness with a fine toothed comb.

Yep, but right under the fuze. I had to take the whole box off and rotate it like in the picture to find the fault.

I would start by trying to isolate the problem, I narrowed down the location of the fault by running a test wire from the fuse to the switch, then just started looking down the harness with a fine toothed comb.
the fuse box behind the glove box? or the one thats connected to the relay fuse that is on the right side of steering wheel column?

nope, engine bay, the one flipped over below. That's where I found my issue. The wire goes from the engine bay fuse box to the junction on the left side of the drivers footwell, then up to the hazard switch in the steering column. Check that whole length for issues.

IMG_0513.jpg

Good luck, and gorgeous Jeep!

I found the wiring diagram, the blue box (Fuse 9 -> BK/WT -> C108) is the connection that was broken for me. If everything else works, that's the likely culprit.

Edit: Whoops, misremembered and misread. Ignore the red box, that is the engine power source. The separate power is why the hazards can stop working while everything else does.

IMG_0871.jpg

Last edited: