Tweezer's 2004 LJ

I knew those were moles, but the traps have peeked my curiosity! What kind of rig is that?

They are scissor traps, like the ones linked below. They require a raised tunnel to set, but they work really good. There are two scissors per trap, one on each end of the tunnel area. Once the ground pushes up just a bit, the trap springs and kills instantly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099QW8R9F/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Jeep staycation day 5. I spent a good chunk of my day installing the Bestop Supertop NX Soft Top. The instructions leave a bit to be desired and the putting together the frame took some time but it's on and I dig it. Left the side windows off and just rolled up the back window. Every other Jeep I have owned I opted for the Bestop Trektop, so it's fun to have something different. After the top I installed the Clear Corner & Turn Signal Lens Kit. I wasn't sure if I would like it but I do.

Prior to the top I started to work on the bumper replacement. The Torx bolts that hold it to the frame are mega stuck and I stripped one of the bolts. Any suggestions on getting that bolt off? Just cut of the head or is there a better trick?

I did get an email from Savvy letting me know everything has shipped, which is awesome. The Swayloc also shipped.

Last night I ordered WeatherTech floor mats for the front, rear, and cargo area. I also grabbed some GraBars USA grab bars. Both should be here by Friday.

I tried the Rugged Ridge Full-Length Eclipse Sun Shade to run beneath the soft top when the top is down and did not care for it. It will be returned. Felt way too claustrophobic with it on.

Now it's time to sit on the patio, drink some beers, and listen to the baseball game.

Last edited:
Jeep staycation day 5. I spent a good chunk of my day installing the Bestop Supertop NX Soft Top. The instructions leave a bit to be desired and the putting together the frame took some time but it's on and I dig it. Left the side windows off and just rolled up the back window. Every other Jeep I have owned I opted for the Bestop Trektop, so it's fun to have something different. After the top I installed the Clear Corner & Turn Signal Lens Kit. I wasn't sure if I would like it but I do.

Prior to the top I started to work on the bumper replacement. The Torx bolts that hold it to the frame are mega stuck and I stripped one of the bolts. Any suggestions on getting that bolt off? Just cut of the head or is there a better trick?

I did get an email from Savvy letting me know everything has shipped, which is awesome. The Swayloc also shipped.

Last night I ordered WeatherTech floor mats for the front, rear, and cargo area. I also grabbed some Grabbar USA grab bars. Both should be here by Friday.

I tried the Rugged Ridge Full-Length Eclipse Sun Shade to run beneath the soft top when the top is down and did not care for it. It will be returned. Felt way too claustrophobic with it on.

Now it's time to sit on the patio, drink some beers, and listen to the baseball game.

👀 👀 👀 looking for some pics

Here are some! I forgot I also put the end caps on the rear bumper. I have the front too but will put them on the new bumper.

IMG_1322.jpeg

IMG_1319.jpeg

IMG_1320.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: WesRJ86 and TRE3TOP
Here are some of the stereo upgrade. I love the Alpine iLx407. It's really easy to use and has a ton of features. The JBL Bass Nano is workable, but I had hoped for better. It could be my install. It's in the console, but not very creatively. I might revisit how I have it installed in there. I originally bought the iPhone suction cup mount to just steal the clamp that holds the phone and mount it. I tried the suction cup and it's held strong for a few days. If is starts to fall off I will pivot. It was cheap from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HMG1H78/?tag=wranglerorg-20

IMG_1324.jpeg

IMG_1325.jpeg

IMG_1293.jpeg

IMG_1326.jpeg

Reactions: WesRJ86 and TRE3TOP
Look up scosche for phone mounts. Also it may not suction well to the dash because it’s not a smooth surface like glass.

Reactions: tweezer
I took the Jeep for a long ride today, at least longer than I have previously. CEL came on while we were out. I was almost expecting this and am assuming it is the O2 sensor the first mechanic didn't replace. Perhaps the OBD reset that occurred after disconnecting the battery triggered the CEL when checking the sensors? All 4 will be replaced. I just don't know if it will be me or a shop doing the work. Also heard the angry sparrows again and I could smell brakes in the garage after the ride. Need to have that looked at too.

After our ride, I again started to remove the front bumper. I started with the 4 bolts that connect the tow hooks to the frame. The Dewalt impact made short work of three of them but broke the welded nut loose on the fourth. The bolt and nut would just spin. So, we used a Dewalt angle grinder with a metal blade to cut the head off of the Torx bolt. Actually, my wife, who is the R&D Director for a welding wire manufacturer, wanted to do the cutting so she cut the head off. She routinely is cutting and grinding metals and she is bad ass. I soaked the shit out of the two bottom bolts with PB Blaster and will work on those another day. I also got a first coat of paint on the new bumper.

Tomorrow is my wife's birthday and we have some activities planned, so probably not a lot of Jeep work. I did get my first shipment from Savvy and the ORO Swayloc arrived today too.

IMG_1332.jpeg

Last edited:
I checked the code using the key method and it's P0138. The same O2 sensor code we saw previously. I just ordered all four NGK sensors and I think I found a potential shop. They specialize on heavy duty trucks and also cars. Reviews look really good. I would have them replace the sensors and take a look at the brakes. The front right tire/wheel was super hot compared to the others after our drive.

All 4 O2 sensors arrived today and I have an appointment for Wednesday to replace the sensors and take a look at the brakes. I got the front bumper off by cutting the heads off the bottom bolts using a hand hack saw and pulling the bumper over the remaining nubs. The angle grinder didn't fit very well. I soaked the shit out of the bolts with liquid wrench and PB Blaster over a couple of days, but cannot move them. I am going to ask the mechanic to extract them.

The GraBars arrived but I didn't note that you need to drill a hole in the pillar/windshield moulding to install, so I am returning and bought some bar mounted fabric grab handles. My wife prefers these anyway. The last box from Savvy arrived today. The Savvy 4" lift kit, cable shifter, ORO Swayloc, and Currectlync steering are in my garage, so that's fun. The WeatherTech floor mats also arrived and they are sweet. They fit really nicely.

I am looking forward to getting the Jeep back from the mechanic. I haven't driven it much and look forward to rectifying that. I have driven maybe 50 miles in the month I have owned it due to one thing or another.

All 4 O2 sensors arrived today and I have an appointment for Wednesday to replace the sensors and take a look at the brakes. I got the front bumper off by cutting the heads off the bottom bolts using a hand hack saw and pulling the bumper over the remaining nubs. The angle grinder didn't fit very well. I soaked the shit out of the bolts with liquid wrench and PB Blaster over a couple of days, but cannot move them. I am going to ask the mechanic to extract them.

The GraBars arrived but I didn't note that you need to drill a hole in the pillar/windshield moulding to install, so I am returning and bought some bar mounted fabric grab handles. My wife prefers these anyway. The last box from Savvy arrived today. The Savvy 4" lift kit, cable shifter, ORO Swayloc, and Currectlync steering are in my garage, so that's fun. The WeatherTech floor mats also arrived and they are sweet. They fit really nicely.

I am looking forward to getting the Jeep back from the mechanic. I haven't driven it much and look forward to rectifying that. I have driven maybe 50 miles in the month I have owned it due to one thing or another.

When are you starting the suspension work? I’ll free myself up. Also, I have a sensor socket to replace your O2 sensors. Let me know.

When are you starting the suspension work? I’ll free myself up. Also, I have a sensor socket to replace your O2 sensors. Let me know.

Thanks, Jason! It's going to be a couple weeks out, but I will nail it down and check with you on your availability and then adjust based on what works best for you. Also, I lied, the cable shifter isn't here yet but everything else is. I went through the boxes this morning just to confirm what has been received.

Reactions: taylormade73
I spoke too soon, Savvy shipped the cable shifter today. Nice!

Mine as well!

I tried to contact them twice asking for a status update. No response. And then yesterday I got the notice that it was on its way.

They must make them in bulk or something. Or wait untill they have a few orders for them I guess.

Mine as well!

I tried to contact them twice asking for a status update. No response. And then yesterday I got the notice that it was on its way.

They must make them in bulk or something. Or wait untill they have a few orders for them I guess.

Nice! Something like that I would assume too. I am just stoked it's on its way.

I picked up my Jeep from the mechanic after work tonight. By far the best experience I have had with the three mechanics. Definitely instilled more confidence. Anyway, he replaced the 4 O2 sensors with the NGK sensors I provided and removed the 2 broken bolts left over from the front bumper. He looked at the brakes and said they are in good shape. I don't think he drove it long enough to make them squeak, but I told him 15 minutes and it's more like 30. They started to squeak just as I got home. Definitely when braking, more at slower speeds and inconsistent if/when it squeaks. Anyway, I plan to upgrade the brakes, so I will keep an eye/ear on it.

I asked him to look at it critically and let me know of anything he thought needed to be fixed. He said to keep an eye on the oil pan gasket and the front differential pinion seal. Everything else was solid. He offered to buy it when I want to sell. Lol. He said the "04-06 LJs are my favorite Jeep". Me too. Heh.

This weekend I am going to wash it, since I have the windows on it and it got dusty at the shop - huge gravel parking lot. They work on semis too. Once washed I am going to wire wheel the front crossmember(?) and hit it with some paint before I put on the new bumper. I planned to reuse the bumpettes and tow hooks, but they were casualties of cutting and grinding off Torx heads. So, I have new bumpettes, tow hooks, and Mopar fog lights. The fog lights were stupid pricey, but I like the look. Should look pretty sweet when all together. Generically stock, but sweet. Lol.

Washed the Jeep and finished up with McGuire's Quick Detailer. It works great on pretty much on anything, even the windows. After, I assembled the new front bumper, bumpettes, tow hooks, and fog lights. I think it turned our great. I also stuffed the roll bar speaker pods with polyfill. I need to do something with the console/sub.

That pretty much finishes up phase I of the build, which was mainly cosmetic/comfort items. Phase I included:
  • Alpine iLx407 head unit
  • JBL Bass Nano powered sub
  • Alpine KTA450 4 channel amp
  • Kicker 47KSC504 5-1/4 speakers in the roll bar
  • Kicker 47KSC4604 4x6 speakers in the dash
  • APPS2Car Suction Cup Phone Holder
  • Bestop Supertop NX Soft Top in Black Diamond
  • Crown Automotive Clear Corner & Turn Signal Lens Kit
  • Crown Automotive Front Bumper
  • Mopar Stubby Bumper End Cap Kit
  • Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Mopar Fog Lights
  • Action Crash Parts bumpettes
  • Rugged Ridge Tow Hooks
  • 1.25-Inch Seat Risers
  • Weathertech DigitalFit Cargo, Front, and Rear Liners
  • ABS Door Sill Entry Guard Kit
  • Roll Bar Grab Handles with Metal Buckles
  • Rugged Ridge 11025.22 Stubby Trail Mirror, Rectangular
  • Front and rear differential oil change
Phase II will include the Savvy 4' lift, shocks, Currectlync steering, ORO Swayloc, Savvy cable shifter, SYE and driveshafts, and new tires. I just need to order the shocks to get going. I am back and forth on the Rancho 5000X and the Black Max shocks. I haven't ordered the SYE and DS yet either.

Here are some pictures after washing and assembling the front bumper. All five of the Ravine wheels look damn near brand new. I was going to get Procomp 69 series chrome wheels, but I think I am going to stick with the stock Ravines for a bit and run the spacers that are already on the Jeep.

IMG_1363.jpeg

IMG_1367.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

IMG_1366.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpeg