Tweezer's 2004 LJ

I installed the new hood latches this afternoon and man they are so much tighter than what I had previously. I didn't know how loose the old were until I latched down the new ones.

I am going to go ahead and get the 35" tires this coming week, so I grabbed a MORryde Tailgate Reinforcement Kit. I also looked at the Exogate, which has a cheaper list price, but when you add in shipping from gr8tops, the MORyde with free shipping makes better sense. Unless I have a late change of mind, I am going with Cooper Discover STT Pro. They are affordable, look great, and do well on road.

I have been watching SYE install videos and need to come up with a plan for it and the rear drive shaft. I look forward to losing the vibes. I also am going to go ahead and have the Jeep aligned with the tires. I aligned it after installing the Currectlync, but I don't think it will hurt to have it aligned after tires.

Last night I spent some time looking at LED rear tail lights. I'd go with Savvy if they were available, but I also really like the ORO lite dots. I know they are a bit dated, but I had them on my 2005 X and like the look. With the Savvy front bumper and GTS ordered, I don't feel like I need to stick to my original stock but capable thing and that opens up a bunch of ways to spend money. Lol.

If it were me, I’d use that alignment money and take the wife out to dinner. All they’re going to do is verify your toe measurement. Most big name places won’t adjust caster with aftermarket control arms, nor would I want them to. If you have it set between 1/16”-1/8” toe in, you’re good to go 😎

Last edited:
If it were me, I’d use that alignment money and take the wife out to dinner. All they’re going to do is verify your toe measurement. Most big name places won’t adjust caster with aftermarket control arms, nor would I want them to. If you have it set between 1/16”-1/8” toe out, you’re good to go 😎

IIRC, he’ll want toe-in (not out) and 3/16” for 35’s.

Reactions: tweezer and Wildman
I am the king of indecision. After some thought, I am going to lose the spacers and buy new wheels with the correct backspacing. I don't want to spend a ton and have been looking at the Quadratec Rubicon Xtreme wheels. They have 4" of backspacing and look pretty sweet; almost like a Pintler Bridger? Anyway, any thoughts on either gunmetal or silver? Silver is similar to the stock Ravines I have, which I am unsure if that matters or not. I simply cannot decide and input is welcomed.

Quadratec-Rubicon-Xtreme-Wheel-Gun-Metal-5x4.5.jpg

Quadratec-Rubicon-Xtreme-Wheel-Silver-5x4.5.jpg

I also have flip flopped on the tires. I am leaning towards the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3, instead of the Cooper STT Pros. Lol, I almost just ordered the wheels and tires mounted and balanced, with free shipping from QT. I just can't pull the trigger on the BFG KM3s, which was the only tire from my list in stock. If you are running them, let me know your thoughts. I have read they are not great in rain/snow. Snow is less of an issue, as I don't plan to drive it on salted roads.

Last edited:
I am the king of indecision. After some thought, I am going to lose the spacers and buy new wheels with the correct backspacing. I don't want to spend a ton and have been looking at the Quadratec Rubicon Xtreme wheels. They have 4" of backspacing and look pretty sweet; almost like a Pintler Bridger? Anyway, any thoughts on either gunmetal or silver? Silver is similar to the stock Ravines I have, which I am unsure if that matters or not. I simply cannot decide and input is welcomed.

View attachment 362324

View attachment 362325

I also have flip flopped on the tires. I am leaning towards the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3, instead of the Cooper STT Pros. Lol, I almost just ordered the wheels and tires mounted and balanced, with free shipping from QT. I just can't pull the trigger on the BFG KM3s, which was the only tire from my list in stock. If you are running them, let me know your thoughts. I have read they are not great in rain/snow. Snow is less of an issue, as I don't plan to drive it on salted roads.

If it helps, I have a black Jeep with gunmetal wheels…35’s 17” wheels

4E306673-076E-4493-9C4D-9C37723075A9.jpeg

View attachment 362324

View attachment 362325

I bought the KM3’s because they rated better in snow than Cooper STT Pro’s. 🤣 I also went to a 5-spoke. It came down to the Quadratec Rubicon Extremes and the Mamba MR1X. I went with the Mamba’s because they were more like the Moab’s and they were only $127/. Thumbs upto gunmetal.

F9E95E38-739B-409F-B491-CB7326E73C53.jpeg

I bought the KM3’s because they rated better in snow than Cooper STT Pro’s. 🤣 I also went to a 5-spoke. It came down to the Quadratec Rubicon Extremes and the Mamba MR1X. I went with the Mamba’s because they were more like the Moab’s and they were only $127/. Thumbs upto gunmetal.

View attachment 362340

I was hoping someone would chime in on the KM3s. I didn't know they rated better in snow. How are they in the rain?

I took a picture of your Jeep in my driveway when you were here and had already looked at it tonight to see the gunmetal wheels and the Savvy aluminum. Lol! :ROFLMAO: It looks killer!

The Silver wheels might go better with the raw Savvy aluminum. I originally went with gunmetal because i painted my front and rear Motobilt bumpers gunmetal. Now you have me thinking of going to silver wheels. 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: tweezer
I was hoping someone would chime in on the KM3s. I didn't know they rated better in snow. How are they in the rain?

Had the KM2 (sorry not KM3) before the MTR. Good tire and (decent) wet and dry traction. Sucked in the snow. I’ve yet to find an MT good in the snow. My MTR does almost “ok” in the snow.

Reactions: Wildman and tweezer
The Silver wheels might go better with the raw Savvy aluminum. I originally went with gunmetal because i painted my front and rear Motoblur bumpers gunmetal. Now you have me thinking of going to silver wheels. 🤔

Ha! Sitting here with Karin and she prefers the silver and the aluminum. I am undecided. I like them both.

Reactions: taylormade73

KM3’s are good in the rain. In the snow im trying to just get a tiny bit of improvement because MT’s just ain’t gonna be that good in snow. The deep stuff is fine with lockers, but if you’ve got a sheet of ice under a few inches they’re no good. I still love Cooper STT Pro’s and Maxxis Razr’s aren’t bad either. I’ve grown to love the KM3. I didn’t like it at first. My mind has changed.

Reactions: tweezer
When everyone talks about M/T's and working in the snow I don't see anyone mentioning Toyo's?

Back in 2005 when they first hit the PNW I put a set of 35x13.5x15 Toyo M/T's on mine and then went on a snow run with a group where everyone was so impressed with how they worked a few went out and bought some the next week. I know they are more expensive than other brands but they worked on & off road for me.

1664299238547.png