Tweezer's 2004 LJ

Alas, no. Been really busy with work.

I get it. It's been a busy couple months on my end too. I am hoping to settle a bit and knock out some of my list to get ready for Summer. It's a big list. Ha! I need to figure out gears, lockers, and axles. I am going work with the local shops to see what they can get/install and just knock that out.

Ok, so long time, no update. Jeep work has been slow this winter. I was able to disassemble and diagnose the issue with the metal grinding noise at full weight after installing the exogate. The bracket that ties it into the roll bar was not as tight as expected. After tightening up the roll bar tie in (as well as re-tourqing the rest of the bolts) and mounting the 35" spare, the grinding sound was gone.

My battery has died and required charging a couple of times this winter. Is it normal for the battery to die after a couple of months of sitting? I think the first time maybe I didn't charge it long enough for long term, but last weekend I charged for 10 hours or so and I think that worked. I plan to drive it more that Spring has arrived, which hopefully will keep the battery charged up.

I have a long list of mods, so I reached out to my local 4WP. They previously installed my SSYE kit and Tom Woods rear drive shaft. Today, I signed off on 5.13 Revolution gears, chromoly Revolution axles front and rear, ARB lockers front and rear with the twin compressor and manifold, and Power Stop brakes front and rear. They're also going to install the Swayloc I bought last fall.

From there, I have a Savvy GTS to install and some rear frame cleanup. I am also going to install the Currie 1" BL, and a suspension cycling is in order. I bought a Bestop Safari top (as an option to the Bestop soft top I bought last year) and Bestop soft doors for the summer. I might also upgrade to Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks. I am stoked for the next couple of months. More to come.

Reactions: PNW_LJ and Rickyd
I drop the Jeep off at 4WP tomorrow. I am excited. They are installing Revolution 5.13 gears, Revolution axles front and rear, ARB lockers front and rear, ARB twin compressor and manifold, Swayloc, new brakes front and rear, and doing a CA adjustment. I can't wait to pick it up. Hopefully done by the weekend. Looking forward to taking off the hardtop and putting on the new safari top and soft doors.

If its not too personal can you share what you paid for it all minus the brakes and swayloc? this sounds like what I want to do.

I picked up the Jeep tonight after a week at the shop. Interestingly, it's no longer a 4WP but now Total Offroad. It looks like a few across the country have changed name. Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the experience. They were excited to work on an LJ and I feel good about the money spent. The 3 year warranty on all of the work certainly helps.

Holy shit do the 5.13 gears make a difference. The Jeep feels powerful again. The Swayloc and the CA alignment too. It drives/handles nicely. I will take it back in 500 miles or so for a check of everything, and they are going to redo the rocker switches for the compressor and lockers. They are ordering a new panel that will keep a stock look. I just need to find OME looking locker switches. They also threw in an air hose and connectors for tires or whatever.

This weekend I plan to wash/claybar/wax and then lose the hardtop and doors for Summer. I hope to get the Savvy front bumper installed too. i asked them to leave the stock bumper off after the Swayloc install. I am stoked and motivated for summer!

Last edited:
Weekend is not going as planned. I removed the hardtop on Friday after work but when I tried to install the new header I bought for the safari top, I discovered Bestop did not include the hardware required. Morris 4x4 is working on sending me the hardware. I then tried to put on the deck cover, but there was no way. Lol, definitely needs to be warm and sun soaked. From there, I attempted to remove my doors. LOL. No chance they are budging without some work and Kroil. That's in progress after some forum reading. Today I did install the Savvy front bumper and did a wipe down with quick detailer. Definitely digging the new front bumper and the no top look.

IMG_0095.jpeg

IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0096.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good!

Now tell us how were you able to snag a Savvy bumper 😜

Thanks! Lol, I bought it last fall and am just getting to it. I grabbed a steering box and gts at the time too. The gts and BL are next on the list.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Finally received the hardware to install the header for the safari top. Got it and the duster cover in place. I love the look for summer. I'm not sure what I'll do with the soft top I bought last summer, but at the time, I wanted to deviate from what I had run on all of my previous Jeeps. I guess you like what you like.

Karin and I took the day off, so after taking my 19 year old cat to the vet (relatively clean bill of health, woohoo) I swapped out the subwoofer in the Jeep. When I installed the new sound system last summer, I bought the JBL Bass Nano, which is okay and fits under the console, but doesn't do well at peak volume. I replaced it with a Kicker 10" hideaway powered sub (Kicker 46HS10) and holy shit what a difference. It thumps at peak volume and no distortion or clipping. I couldn't be happier. It doesn't fit in the console, and I looked at mounting it in the rear seat as others on the forum have done, but it didn't look like it was going to fit under the seat, so I put in the footwell behind the drivers seat. Not perfect, but it will do.

After, I went for a drive. Really happy with the new gears and brakes, though the caster is not dialed in as good as it could be. Still just a bit darty steering. I need to take it back to the shop for a recheck of all the work and will have them dial it in. I also have something leaking down on the front drive shaft. It's thin and dirty looking. Perhaps the water pump is failing? Anyway, stopped for some pics.

IMG_0103.jpeg

IMG_0105.jpeg

IMG_0107.jpeg

Once home, I installed the new headlights. I didn't go LED, was just looking for something brighter than the stock headlights. I went with KC HiLiTES H4 headlights. They are definitely brighter and look pretty sweet too compared to stock.

IMG_0111.jpeg

If tomorrow is a rainout (I have a shit ton of yard work to do) I think I will work on installing the ORO Litedots and lite'nboltz. I also need to get back to trying to get the doors off. They are super stuck.

Karin and I made it a 4 day weekend, so I finally finished up the ORO Litdot install. I had to cut the Exogate to fit the light on the passenger side, which I worked on over the last week or so. It was outside my wheel house but it turned out pretty okay. I cut it with an angle grinder and then spent many hours cleaning it up and sanding it with a Dremel. I touched it up with some satin spray paint. I again reinstalled the whole Exogate and finally have the tailgate aligned. It's swings freely and closes like butter.

In the process, I had been debating deleting the spare and went that route for now. I can add it back for trips and what not pretty easily, but for how I am driving the Jeep day to day, I like it. I ordered a Kentrol license plate mount with 3rd brake light and plate light this afternoon. For now, I cut down the stock license plate housing and mounted to the Exogate and used zip ties to attach the plate. I just have to limit myself to daylight. The Kentrol mount will center it up. I used some plastic inserts @Irun provided a link for to clean up the remaining nutserts. I think it turned out pretty good. I'll grab some pictures of the Litedots after dark but for now, here's how it stands.

IMG_0147.jpeg

Installed the Kentrol license plate mount w/ third brake light and license plate light this afternoon and finished up the tailgate. It was an easy install. I tied into the the stock third brake light wiring and into the tail light wiring for the license plate light. The instructions said to feed the wiring through the passenger side, but the grommet was on the drivers side on my 2004. Not a big deal, just ran the wiring under the carpet to the driver's side. From there I just tapped into the Litedot harness. Happy with the outcome.

IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0162.jpeg

Weekend is not going as planned. I removed the hardtop on Friday after work but when I tried to install the new header I bought for the safari top, I discovered Bestop did not include the hardware required. Morris 4x4 is working on sending me the hardware. I then tried to put on the deck cover, but there was no way. Lol, definitely needs to be warm and sun soaked. From there, I attempted to remove my doors. LOL. No chance they are budging without some work and Kroil. That's in progress after some forum reading. Today I did install the Savvy front bumper and did a wipe down with quick detailer. Definitely digging the new front bumper and the no top look.

View attachment 420719

View attachment 420720

View attachment 420721

Did you have any clearance with the bumper and the Swayloc ?

My battery has died and required charging a couple of times this winter. Is it normal for the battery to die after a couple of months of sitting? I think the first time maybe I didn't charge it long enough for long term, but last weekend I charged for 10 hours or so and I think that worked. I plan to drive it more that Spring has arrived, which hopefully will keep the battery charged up.
Batteries discharge over time. Few months seems a little short, but not crazy. I'd recommend picking up a battery tender if you're gonna let it sit for long periods. It'll keep it from dying, but should also extend the life of the battery.

I've been running a cheap HF 15$ tender/charger for around 4 years now. Convenient item to have to charge dead batteries at home without another car, too.

Batteries discharge over time. Few months seems a little short, but not crazy. I'd recommend picking up a battery tender if you're gonna let it sit for long periods. It'll keep it from dying, but should also extend the life of the battery.

I've been running a cheap HF 15$ tender/charger for around 4 years now. Convenient item to have to charge dead batteries at home without another car, too.

Thanks for the recommendation. I am thinking the battery needs to be replaced. With the key in but without the engine running, I am getting an intermittent Check Gauges popping up.

Reactions: lBasket
Since having the lockers, gears, axles, etc. installed, I have been investigating options for the rocker switch panel. The shop installed Carling switches for the compressor and lockers, but agreed there were better solutions available. They recommended a switch panel from Custom3dfab which I thought was great and will allow for a stock look. I went with the Stepped Switch Panel with space for 11 OEM rocker switches. I added a 12v outlet and a USB for the existing 12v and lighter.

IMG_6007_110x110@2x.jpg

IMG_5026_b0d2dd7f-53af-485f-9462-165e7ac4ff0d_110x110@2x Large.jpeg

For the switches, I went with R/L and F/L for the lockers, compressor for the compressor, seat heater for a future addition, and a couple of blanks. I will also have the existing O/D, rear wiper, and rear defrost.

41yA8ygsieL._AC_.jpg

61H8O1eop2L._AC_UL348_SR348,348_.jpg

71xysLskC5L._AC_UL348_SR348,348_.jpg

AOBSW3C66.jpg

I am just waiting on the panel and then I will swap everything over. It should be great but we'll see. The only downside is the faces of the aftermarket switches don't turn on with the headlights. I couldn't find any that did.

Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
Did you have any clearance with the bumper and the Swayloc ?

After some reading, I better understand this question. I didn't buy the Hardcore bumper end caps, so no issue with the one bolt that hits the Swayloc.