SOLD Two Dana 44's For Sale (Everett, Washington)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
Price
$900
I've got two Dana 44 rear axles that I'm looking to sell, and I want to give forum members first shot before I list them on Craigslist. Here's what I have:

Dana 44 removed from a 2005 LJ that had only 45,000 miles on it before the owner converted it to a rock crawler with D60s. The axle has 3.73 gears, is LSD equipped, and has disc brakes. Though dirty from sitting in the guy's garage for two years, there is still much of the original black paint on the housing. Due to the extremely low miles, and the fact that it's a complete disc brake set-up, I am offering it to forum members for $900 (will list it on Craigslist for $1,200 if there is no interest here). SOLD! Heading to a forum member in Texas. (y)

*Drum brake Dana 44 is still for sale
Second Dana 44 is from a 2001 Sport that has 160,000 miles on it. It has 3.73 gears, and is an open diff axle. It is complete from drum to drum, and was driven a few hundred miles across state the week before it was pulled. There are no known issues with it. I am offering it to forum members for $850 (will list it on Craigslist for $1000 if there is no interest here).
* I have opened up this axle to check condition of the gears for a potential buyer who ultimately went a different direction. Only the diff cover was removed for visual inspection. Gears showed a good wear pattern, and no signs of damage.

In the interest of full transparency, I will say that these D44s were both purchased by me with the sole purpose of flipping (reselling) them at a profit. Demand is high enough that I felt it was worth the investment. They remain as-purchased, at this point. I live in Everett, Washington, which is just north of Seattle. Depending on your location, there is some chance that a delivery could be arranged, but that possibility depends on a number of factors that would need to be discussed. If you have any questions, please PM me, and I will do everything within reason to answer them. I really would rather see a forum member end-up with these axles, and will delay posting on Craigslist for as long as I reasonably can.

Thank you,
Squatch

Last edited:
I added your location to the thread title. Probably helpful just incase anyone is really interested.

I'll also add that if anyone wants to ship them, go on https://www.uship.com and get a quote. You'd be surprised how much you can ship something like this for. @tomtaylz had all 5 of my huge wheels / tires shipped to him for only a few hundred bucks using u-ship.

I added your location to the thread title. Probably helpful just incase anyone is really interested.

I'll also add that if anyone wants to ship them, go on https://www.uship.com and get a quote. You'd be surprised how much you can ship something like this for. @tomtaylz had all 5 of my huge wheels / tires shipped to him for only a few hundred bucks using u-ship.
Many thanks, @Chris. Greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Chris
I'm looking for a rear dana44 for my 2004 TJ. Do you know if the 2005 LJ would bolt up without modification? Also, do you happen to know what type of limited slip differential would be in there? I've heard Eaton TrueTrac is good but I'm not sure what came with that year. I would want to have the gears updated to 4.88 but otherwise this sounds close to what I'm looking for.

Seems like a good option. I'm going to see what it will cost to have yours shipped to me, plus the addition of gearing and help installing it before I pull the trigger. I appreciate the extra info you provided.

Reactions: Squatch
Seems like a good option. I'm going to see what it will cost to have yours shipped to me, plus the addition of gearing and help installing it before I pull the trigger. I appreciate the extra info you provided.
I fear it may be too costly to ship, honestly, but that's up to you to decide. I basically threw it out there as a "For what it's worth" kind of thing. I still have 'em, if you actually did decide to pull the trigger.

@Squatch Have you posted on Craiglist yet? I am in Olympia, and am interested either way. I have a new to me 97 TJ Sport, currently with the Dana 35 3.07. Opened up the diff this weekend to replace fluid, and the inside of the cover looks like someone took a jackhammer to it. No weird noises coming from it, but I can definitely see some issues with a few teeth on the ring gear. PO must have had an issue of some kind. Thanks.

@Squatch Have you posted on Craiglist yet? I am in Olympia, and am interested either way. I have a new to me 97 TJ Sport, currently with the Dana 35 3.07. Opened up the diff this weekend to replace fluid, and the inside of the cover looks like someone took a jackhammer to it. No weird noises coming from it, but I can definitely see some issues with a few teeth on the ring gear. PO must have had an issue of some kind. Thanks.
I still have them both. Tack on another $25 for fuel, and I'd be willing to deliver to you. Remember, these are both 3.73 gears, so you'd need to regear your front, or find another front axle with the 3.73 gears and just swap the entire unit (I've seen those pop up for sale dirt cheap relatively frequently). PM me, if you're genuinely interested. ;)

Reactions: DaYooperTransplant
bump for a sweet price.
Thanks, @Fouledplugs. LOL I hope it's sweet enough that someone on the forum picks one up. After talking with one member, we discovered some axles that better suited him for his needs, so it looks like he'll be going that route, which is fine. Mine are living a sheltered life in the garage, for now. They'll still be there for whenever you're ready to buy (and you know who you are...you're out there...somewhere...);):)

You got any pics of the bad boys?
I do not, though there is no reason I couldn't get some. Both are dusty/dirty, but that's to be expected. No large scale rust, or anything like that. If I get feeling better, and I don't get called into work, I might be able to haul them out from hiding and snap a couple of pics this weekend. I need to pop the cover on the drum brake axle and take a look at its innards for an interested forum member, anyways. No reason to think I'll find anything out of the norm, but he made the request, so I'll oblige...

I've got two Dana 44 rear axles that I'm looking to sell, and I want to give forum members first shot before I list them on Craigslist. Here's what I have:

Dana 44 removed from a 2005 LJ that had only 45,000 miles on it before the owner converted it to a rock crawler with D60s. The axle has 3.73 gears, is LSD equipped, and has disc brakes. Though dirty from sitting in the guy's garage for two years, there is still much of the original black paint on the housing. Due to the extremely low miles, and the fact that it's a complete disc brake set-up, I am offering it to forum members for $900 (will list it on Craigslist for $1,200 if there is no interest here).

Second Dana 44 is from a 2001 Sport that has 160,000 miles on it. It has 3.73 gears, and is an open diff axle. It is complete from drum to drum, and was driven a few hundred miles across state the week before it was pulled. There are no known issues with it. I am offering it to forum members for $750 (will list it on Craigslist for $950 if there is no interest here).

In the interest of full transparency, I will say that these D44s were both purchased by me with the sole purpose of flipping (reselling) them at a profit. Demand is high enough that I felt it was worth the investment. I have not opened up either housing. I have not yet cleaned-up either axle, either. They remain as-purchased, at this point. I live in Everett, Washington, which is just north of Seattle. Depending on your location, there is some chance that a delivery could be arranged, but that possibility depends on a number of factors that would need to be discussed. If you have any questions, please PM me, and I will do everything within reason to answer them. I really would rather see a forum member end-up with these axles, and will delay posting on Craigslist for as long as I reasonably can.

Thank you,
Squatch
Would you consider taking 500 for the tj axle

Reactions: Chris
Would you consider taking 500 for the tj axle
I have someone in Oregon who is looking at the drum brake axle for my full asking price, and someone in Texas looking at the disc brake axle for my full asking price, so I'd have to say that no, I would not accept $500. Also, there is a large 4X4 swap meet near me in March where I could sell them, and I've yet to even advertise them on Craigslist (as I'd really like to see them go to forum members). Thanks for your interest, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.