Two For One—A Go Fast TJ and J10 Build

It’s rare that I follow a discussion on a Jeep Forum which goes over my head - but damn Trev!

Haha, thanks Jeff. It's all starting to click a bit, but I'm still a giant noob with this stuff.

This is an interesting thread and theory I found a while ago

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/crazy-imaging-in-a-stock-system.150134/

This Patrick Bateman guy really knows his stuff, unfortunately he doesn't seem too active anymore. The Opsodis setup really intrigues me because it's not a very common configuration among the DIYMA guys because it's kind of difficult to put an 8" midbass in your window lol.

I think the TJ may be better suited towards it though, or at least mine is since I'll put speakers almost anywhere, function over form I guess. I've got some pretty weird ideas I'm going to test out, but gotta learn to walk before running. Which is why I'm working on getting a strong 2 way + sub setup first so I can see what that can really sound like. That doesn't include the dipole midbass, but I was too excited to not try it out.

I gotta say, I'm nowhere close to a final tune on the 2 way, but I wouldn't have ever though just two 5.25s, tweeters and sub could sound this good. It's really hard to look at that sound bar and not hook up those 6.5s, but without the proper processing power I'd probably say they do more harm than good

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, happy to answer as best as I can

My question is how is the J10 coming along?:ROFLMAO:

Here ya go

Got the trans cooler plumbing finished up. Just gotta run a power wire to the back of the truck.

Got the upper radiator hose finalized and the steam line hooked up. It's pretty tight with the air intake, but it all seems to fit.
PXL_20221214_004949346.jpg

PXL_20221214_004958460.jpg

Gotta pick up some parts for the PCV set up, pretty sure I understand how that goes together.

Got a TJ coolant reservoir and a premade universal bracket the resi clips into coming. Just have to add some tabs to tie into the radiator mount bolts and that'll be done.

Put the driver's side inner fender back in loosely. They take up so much room

PXL_20221214_014645799.jpg

Getting close

PXL_20221214_014254086.jpg

P.S. did you know that body mounts don't like hitting any sweet jumps. Me neither lol
PXL_20221213_221503571.jpg

I'm definitely going to be adding a lot of valving to the front bypasses. When we first went out I had the bypass tubes all the way open and it was really soft, definitely moreso than the rear 2.5s. The big jump was with the tubes 6 full turns out from fully closed.

I'm thinking I can add a good bit of compression valving and keep the tubes adjusted somewhere in the middle without it being too harsh, I'm not very picky at all, and I'll gain a lot more of a bump zone in the last two inches of my up travel since I didn't really notice much of one this time out.

I probably won't beat on it much until I get the front axle straightened out. I also think I bent my upper bump stops some more, they're angled a bit funny. I'd really like to cut out the entire spring bucket and shock tower and redo it, but that'll be a decent project since I can't seem to find any premade upper spring buckets, so I'll have to make it all. When I do that I'm definitely putting some hydro bumps in place of the factory ones inside the spring.

Artec makes a nice coil bucket/shock mount for TJs

Artec makes a nice coil bucket/shock mount for TJs

Thanks for mentioning it, I hadn't seen those ones yet, but not really what I'm after.

Premade stuff always sounds nice in my head, but then I always see the price tag and realize I'm way too cheap for it.

Reactions: Therbytj
Got the O2 sensors in on the truck today and got the PCM mount installed.

Funny enough it was premade lol. This was another piece from Flyin Iron Fabrication, I also used his ignition coil brackets. $34 and a few nutserts later and it was mounted on the fender like his website shows. I sandblasted it tonight and the paint is drying right now.

https://flyinironfab.com/shop/ols/products/offset-97-to-06-ls-pcm-mounting-bracket

If I can get the PCM flashed early next week and get a driveshaft in or just a way to plug the slip yoke seal I think I can try to crank over the motor. Exciting stuff

Reactions: B00mb00m
Good work, you are making progress! Can't wait to hear it run!

Went up in the snow last weekend with a buddy. We tried to get up to Elk lake near Detroit, OR, but we could only get within 2.5 miles before turning around. I wanted to keep going, but my friend was getting a little worried I was gonna get us stuck up in the mountains lol.

I really need to fix my axles, neither of the lockers work due to the air leak in the rear ARB at the piston seal inside the locker IIRC.

It was a fun day trip, pretty nice being the first ones to go up the trail in a while

PXL_20221230_201917054.jpg

PXL_20221230_192553697.jpg

PXL_20221230_183527542.jpg

PXL_20221230_185538281.jpg

PXL_20221230_190441362.jpg

Then after a little tinkering today and yesterday, I got the truck fired up.

I think the fuel pressure regulator is bad, gonna try to find a new one around town tomorrow and see if it fixes it.

Not sure what the next order of business is, maybe cleaning up the wiring and improving my fuse box setup a bit

Sounds good! No awful noises is always a good sign!!

Replaced the pressure regulator yesterday and it didn't make any difference. Pulled the fuel rail off and prime the system and none of the injectors leaked at all.

Ended up pulling the pump and swapping swapping the pump out of the sending unit for another used one I found at a junkyard a while ago. Looks like it's an OEM Bosch pump from a grand Cherokee I think. Either my gauge reads low or this pump doesn't put out enough pressure, but it stays running now and doesn't stop pumping.

I'm probably gonna look into other pump options I can shoehorn into the factory TJ sending unit since I already modified it for my return line and TJ pressure regulator bypass

But it runs great now and for as long as I want it to.

Onto other parts of the truck now.

I think I finally figured out the diagrams for the factory Chevy fuse box. I redid the way I had it setup last night so now I'm using one of its relays to power up my key hot stuff and send power to the DIY engine fuse box.

Should be a lot more safe now and I've still got loads of empty fuse and relay locations for all the non motor stuff later on

Need to redo my battery cables I think. The crimp on terminals I got from QuickCable seemed nice when I made them. I definitely ordered a positive and a negative, but the negative terminal is way too big and doesn't clamp right.

So far everything I've gotten from QuickCable has been absolute garbage...

I'm not really happy with the battery cable layout anyways though, got way too cramped after I had to put the air intake right next to it.

Nick at Resonix also just started offering this wire harness tape. Supposed to be the same stuff VW and Audi uses. Ones a softer fuzzy tape for interior wiring to prevent rattles and the other is more abrasion resistant for engine harnesses and such. Looking forward to trying this out

PXL_20221231_061023137.jpg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
My new heat treated tie rod showed up since I won 2nd place in the Ride of the Year competition. Really thought a TJ flying through the air at 50 mph had that contest in the bag, but oh well.

Not really sure why there was an extra $100 taped to the tie rod. I guess @mrblaine just really must like me a lot. The girls at the club loved my fat stack of ones, they're gonna be all over me when I roll up with these big bills.

PXL_20230110_171048078.jpg

Thanks for putting on the competition @Chris I had a blast

My new heat treated tie rod showed up since I won 2nd place in the Ride of the Year competition. Really thought a TJ flying through the air at 50 mph had that contest in the bag, but oh well.
Just shows that there are some folks who appreciate a good picture instead of an example ripped from a video of how to tear up your shit.
Not really sure why there was an extra $100 taped to the tie rod. I guess @mrblaine just really must like me a lot.
Whether or not I like anyone has exactly zero to do with fulfilling my promises.
The girls at the club loved my fat stack of ones, they're gonna be all over me when I roll up with these big bills.

View attachment 390567

Thanks for putting on the competition @Chris I had a blast

And still after prompting, twice, you lack the courtesy to thank the prize supplier.

Reactions: Therbytj
@Trevlaw

Airing whatever grievances you may have, could have happened without screenshots of messages and emails.

What you have done is akin to recording and sharing a personal phone conversation without telling the other party that sharing could happen ahead of the phone call. Breaking trust like that is never good even if you are upset or angry or disappointed about something.

Not cool imho.

Reactions: rasband and Chris