Two For One—A Go Fast TJ and J10 Build

Damn Trev, that this is a beast. And pretty cool.
Yeah, I'm really excited for it, also a bit nervous about adding another gigantic machine I could have to move at short notice due to renting the shop, but I just try to ignore those stupid thoughts...

A coworker suggested to me today that I could build some sort of angled frame to tip the drill onto and rest it at an angle to lower the overall height. Don't know why I didn't think of that, thinking I can repurpose my caster rollers to bolt up to the angle frame as well. Now if only I could find some heavy duty tube to build it out of...

Well here's a teaser pic. My rollers didn't quite bolt up to the base, gonna have to fix those, but shouldn't be too hard. Took me a few hours, but the toe jack worked flawlessly and I was able to get the whole thing 9.5" up off the ground.

This is a Weigel camelback drill press, I think it's their 21" model. It's unlike any other camel back I've seen before, they put a lot more effort into the castings up at the top and it's comes with all the bells and whistles that are hard to find on others. So far I've found one old forum post about Weigel and a few copies of old brochures. Unlike the brochures though, this one has a 5MT spindle taper whereas they list it coming with a 4MT. I don't think it's been modified too much, and everything seems to be complete and not broken.

Camelbacks have a ton of rotating inertia and gobs of torque. The motor on this one is rather small at just 1.5hp, but it has 6 spindle speeds ranging from 400 all the way down to 15rpm. It is also supposed to have some type of clutch assembly built in for power tapping purposes to prevent broken taps.

It also has an elevating table as well as a sliding quill support on the vertical dovetails. Rough measurements show that I should have around 2 ish feet of quill travel I think. Though I've never run one of these before, so it'll be a learning experience.

It also has gear driven power down feed. To give you an idea of what this drill can do, when I'm running CNC machines at work for example I would run a 1/2" drill in steel at .001"/rev of feed for every .0625" of drill diameter, so .008" per rev for a 1/2" drill.

The highest power down feed rate on this drill is .043"/rev, which is absolutely insane. I've never even topped .020" with the fancy tools and equipment at work, don't know if I'll ever have the balls to test that out. .043"/rev would be about the right feed for what I would run a 2.6875" diameter drill at.

I'm very excited to bring this thing to the shop, though the only problem I haven't figured out yet is how to get it through the garage door. On my rollers it's about 8ft tall, and my garage door is a little under 7ft. Current plan is to pick it up next week, take it to a friend's shop to disassemble, move, and reassemble in my shop.

If anyone has any ideas on how to safely tip it over a bit I'd love to hear them. It's probably right around 1500-2000lbs.

View attachment 321373View attachment 321374
Holy shit that's amazing

Well I got it moved. Didn't really have any problems, rollers bolted up perfectly after the second mod on them, rolled it out and loaded it up. We rented a drop deck trailer for $100, definitely worth it. We were able to roll it right off when we unloaded it at my buddies shop.

Didn't get to play with it much last week, going to pop some of the covers off to take a look at the gear train and start cleaning it up next week.

IMG_20220413_121958942_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220413_135726872_HDR.jpg

It really dwarfs the Harbor freight drill in the background lol

You going to put a line shaft in to run additional equipment ? Fabulous looking detail ! Just found this thread , had a 1977 j-10 honcho that I bought brand new . Loved that truck.

You going to put a line shaft in to run additional equipment ? Fabulous looking detail ! Just found this thread , had a 1977 j-10 honcho that I bought brand new . Loved that truck.
I don't think my friend would appreciate me doing that to his shop lol. There is another wish bone bracket that holds the lower flat belt pulley along with a double v belt pulley and a 1.5hp motor, I just took it off for moving purposes.

Welcome to the thread, should have some truck updates in not too long.

Reactions: Moon Eyes
Been working on the drill press some. It is in really great shape under all of the grime, starting to uncover the original paint which is in pretty decent shape.

One of the main reasons I really wanted this drill was because the castings up near the top cover up the gear train whereas most camelbacks are just open up top. Well I pulled an access panel off the top to take a peak inside. All of the gears are in great shape, no missing teeth or anything. The best part though is I realized the castings actually serve as a sump, and all of the gears spin in an oil bath, which would seem to be a much better way of lubrication vs just having open gears to grease now and then. The large left handle actuates a drive dog inside that engages it disengages the direct drive shaft coming from the cone pulley. This needs to be disengaged when the back gears are engaged as they route the power around the drive dog and perform the further speed reduction

I also discovered the piece that mounts the table to the column is actually a two piece clamshell design, so instead of having to remove the base and slide the table mount off, it just splits in two for easy disassembly.

So I got the table off, and the two pieces off the column. Polished up the column, scraped a ton of goop off of the base. The goop did a nice job preserving the painted base, and the machined portion as well. Some small surface rust in spots, but 95% of the machining marks are still there and you can tell by the straight line tool marks that the base was machined with either a shaper or a planer, pretty cool.

I'm going to get some round soft bristle brushes to mount on a drill to try and clean up the paint the rest of the way.

Overall this is looking like possibly one of my best finds so far, everything is in great shape and I think it will clean up great.

Also found a bit of history on the Weigel Machine Tool company. Mr. Weigel actually worked for the Superior Tool Company for 11 years, which also made camelback drills. He left Superior and started the Weigel company, then died a year later and the business only lasted a year or two after that. Probably pretty safe to say that the Weigel drill is pretty rare, although I think Mr. Weigel might have taken some spare parts with him as the similarities between mine and the Superior is pretty crazy, all the way down to the shape of the handles. The only main difference is in the castings up top, but even the clamshell table mount looks identical

Here is another person's restored superior.

tapatalk_1303174377_388x584.jpeg

More pics of mine. Paint, glorious 100 year old paint

tapatalk_876905621_410x410.jpeg
tapatalk_1382463251_390x390.jpeg
tapatalk_-380148887_713x713.jpeg
IMG_20220418_175731085_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220418_164717727.jpg

tapatalk_1382463251_390x390.jpeg

Finally started chipping away at the truck some more, distracted myself for a while.

Working on the air intake, not too many options for it. Just trying to keep it simple for now, will worry about a CAI later on. Thinking of just doing this 90* off the throttle body and in front of the battery. Hood clearance is going to be tight. The main issue is the upper radiator hose. I was able to spin the water pump neck without it getting loose in the casting. The hose will have to dip down under the air intake then back up to the radiator, hoping it won't cause any issues with air bubbles getting trapped in the system.

I could pull the neck out of the casting and modify it into a 90* neck, or just make a new 90* one and put it back in with some sealant. Hoping to avoid that though.

PXL_20220622_181333463.jpg

PXL_20220622_181727079.jpg

PXL_20220622_181346766.jpg

Also got the transmission cooler mounted up. It's in the very back passenger corner under the bed, was kind of a perfect fit and the brackets weren't too difficult to get made. Just need to order a thermostat, hose and fittings for it.

PXL_20220623_193029275.jpg

PXL_20220623_193045166.jpg

PXL_20220623_193103087.jpg

Got a plug for the slip yoke on the trans so hopefully I can start it up and run it without a driveshaft for now without dumping fluid everywhere.

After visiting 5 different local hose and fittings stores I finally found a place with competent enough employees to make me a power steering hose. You'd think a place with "Hose and Fittings" in the name would have inverted flare fittings. Instead they only do NPT and look at you like you're an idiot for needing something else.

PXL_20220622_234132908.jpg

Making progress...

Reactions: MichaelGH
The distraction

A handy little table for two of my grinders. Both of these came with a magnetic motor starter that I had to get a new coil and heaters for to go from 480v-240v. The starters were different though and one was corroded past useable condition.

Luckily the grinders are exactly the same model and amperage draw, so I made the table to hold both of them. Put a plug coming out of the motor starter to plug into whichever grinder I need to use. Came out pretty nice, all made with scrap I had laying around. Probably more money into the spray paint than the materials.

Only shocked myself once with 240v, got both arms at once this time lol. Still not sure how I managed to do that, thinking the two lines going into and out of my phase converter must be hot all the time, even with the phase converter off. Lesson learned hopefully...

PXL_20220531_235736587.jpg

PXL_20220607_233638080.jpg

PXL_20220602_005502436.jpg

Cool stand, Trev. I like it.

Glad the shock issue was a lesson learned, and not us all eventually going “Hey, whatever happened to Trevor???”

🙂

My wife is out there in Gresham this week. Say hi for me.

The distraction

A handy little table for two of my grinders. Both of these came with a magnetic motor starter that I had to get a new coil and heaters for to go from 480v-240v. The starters were different though and one was corroded past useable condition.

Luckily the grinders are exactly the same model and amperage draw, so I made the table to hold both of them. Put a plug coming out of the motor starter to plug into whichever grinder I need to use. Came out pretty nice, all made with scrap I had laying around. Probably more money into the spray paint than the materials.

Only shocked myself once with 240v, got both arms at once this time lol. Still not sure how I managed to do that, thinking the two lines going into and out of my phase converter must be hot all the time, even with the phase converter off. Lesson learned hopefully...

View attachment 339116

View attachment 339115

View attachment 339114

Talk about a brick outhouse! Beautiful.

Cool stand, Trev. I like it.

Glad the shock issue was a lesson learned, and not us all eventually going “Hey, whatever happened to Trevor???”

🙂

My wife is out there in Gresham this week. Say hi for me.

Yeah it turned out pretty slick. Only the second time I've shocked myself, good thing I wasn't wiring them for 480 lol.

She picked a good week to come here, it's real nice out. I'm stuck inside at work today though.

But I should have a new toy to play with in a couple weeks once it's up and running. Our shops first 5 axis mill, should be interesting

PXL_20220620_011924127.MP.jpg

PXL_20220620_011935165.jpg

PXL_20220620_011943966.jpg

PXL_20220620_012016031.MP.jpg

PXL_20220620_012036618.jpg

Feels like every time I start making good progress on the truck, the TJ finds a reason to distract me.

Was driving up to Tacoma for a couple craigslist stops and before I get there it threw a P0432. Kind of had a hunch the mini cats might be starting to plug up for a while now, been really sluggish lately. Did a back pressure test on the cats and was getting 5psi upstream at 3k rpm, and 1-2psi downstream at 3k rpm. So not nearly as bad as when the third cat plugged giving me 30 psi. Also hit them with a temp gun and my temps were cooler coming out vs going in, and I think it should be the opposite if they're functioning correctly. The downstream O2 voltages were bouncing all over the place as well, and I think those should be steady around .5v.

So, sounds like I've got a couple cats to gut. I would really like to retain some functioning catalytic converters, but no way I'm paying $500-$1000 for a premade piece with shitty welds, cheap cats, and rattly heat shields that I'm going to have to hack up anyways. Eventually I'll build a new down pipe from scratch with some nice universal cats that clamp in place for easy replacement.

Trip to Tacoma was a success though, got a JL M210 Advantek Dana 44 front axle housing for just $100. Unfortunately I only got one inner C, but I really just wanted the center section anyways.

PXL_20220714_222609567.jpg

Was $100 for the axle, but $200 in gas so I needed something else to make it worth it.

Found a 7.5 ton Roper Whitney hole punch, model 1829 I believe. Almost twice the tonnage of my 218, but still has a nice throat depth. Not sure if I'll keep both or sell one of them. But I got this one for FREE, they were just giving it away. Got a nice angle iron base for it as well.

PXL_20220714_222947248.jpg