Two issues with blower. Only blows ac or heat on high. Only blows out dash vents.

Last edited:
Did the OP say what model year TJ he has? That particular resistor is only for older models.

So far as the air only coming through the dash vents, that could be caused by a vacuum leak or a bad flapper motor.

Yes, I deleted my original post. I didn't realize the blower motor resistor (assuming that's what it was) differed at all throughout the years!

I have the same issues. Just fixed the fan last weekend. Was the blower motor resistor just like those above have mentioned. I think it was less than $30, in stock at a nearby parts store, and not that difficult. I watched this video first. It helped and mine was very similar. Depending on your year it may be a little different but you will get the idea from this.

Connectors have those annoying little clips you have to release before you can unplug them. I have not tackled the "only blows out dash vents" part yet but that is next. Haven't had time to hunt down the vacuum lines to check them. Good luck and please post up and let us know what you find and how it goes.

Reactions: Chris
It was the resistor all is good now.
Be aware that what caused the first resistor pack to go bad can cause the replacement to go bad too. A common cause of blown resistor packs is the HVAC fan motor drawing excessive current from its windings starting to short out. The windings are bare wire covered in shellac and when that shellac starts breaking down from age or heat which causes the windings to start shorting together, excessive current draw through the resistor pack, wiring, and switch is the result.

Reactions: Chris
SBarber1 - I was able to trace and check my vacuum lines from origination under the hood, to the vacuum canister which is located sort of under the battery on the passenger side. You can get to the line from under the jeep and remove it to inspect the rubber boot connection. I found a utube video that showed it and that really helped. All was good all the way through and to the dash switch. With glove box out, radio/vent control dash panel cover out and jeep running I could hear it trying to actuate when I changed switch positions. There is an (actuater arm?) under the dash by the floor vent at the front of the center console. Mine is broken, and when you move the switch it does try to actuate that arm. I don't know if that one location controls all the air direction or what. I know for sure that is one issue on mine, you may want to look there as well. I have to find a diagram or something and see how to get to that part and what else is involved in the duct system. Maybe someone here has some info. I'll let you know what I find. Good luck.

image.jpeg

This piece was loose and hanging under the ductwork. When I turn the dial the cable attached to this moved but of course this was not connected so nothing happens. I thought the end was broken off but not sure. It seems broken near the base of the longer piece that runs up into the air box. I have been unable to find a good exploded diagram of the duct system and components for a 2006. Not sure yet what I have to take apart to replace this, or exactly how it all works. Gonna keep searching before I purchase anything or take anything else apart. Has anyone else had this happen or had to replace this?

I think I have a related problem. The second speed on my blower does not work. First and second work fine. Is that a resistor problem as well? Thanks.

I think I have a related problem. The second speed on my blower does not work. First and second work fine. Is that a resistor problem as well? Thanks.
Yes. The resistor is receiving the full 12v and is dialing it back to the blower. That way you get reduced voltage to the blow at lower settings and full 12v at high setting.

Yes, I deleted my original post. I didn't realize the blower motor resistor (assuming that's what it was) differed at all throughout the years!
Ok. Is this the correct blower resister for a 2002 TJ SE
Dorman 973-025 Blower Motor Resisto

Chris (et al), I have a 2002 Wrangler TJ and I suspect my blend doors are now defective; stuck on defrost (even when selecting other settings). Where, under the dashboard, left or right, do I find to replace the part(s) for the blend doors? I am hoping this is the problem. I have already replaced the fan switch (no change) and I am going to replace the resistor (not knowing it was a separate issue - fan switch and blend door). I will look around but I have not found a video for a 2002 Wrangler blend door repair. Any help would be greatly appreciated. - Mickel

View attachment 10499

This piece was loose and hanging under the ductwork. When I turn the dial the cable attached to this moved but of course this was not connected so nothing happens. I thought the end was broken off but not sure. It seems broken near the base of the longer piece that runs up into the air box. I have been unable to find a good exploded diagram of the duct system and components for a 2006. Not sure yet what I have to take apart to replace this, or exactly how it all works. Gonna keep searching before I purchase anything or take anything else apart. Has anyone else had this happen or had to replace this?

My 06 is currently suffering from the same thing, it's not a vacuum leak either because it doesn't blow from defrost. Keep me updated on what you find.

Last edited:
Still haven't fixed this. Mainly because it has been summer and we usually run no doors or windows so it hasn't mattered. Starting to cool off a little and I'll be putting the hard doors back on in the next few weeks so I'll look at it again and post an update. Has anyone else taken theirs apart or got any pics/diagrams of that pc and how it goes together, etc?