Two questions for Canadian TJ owners

Head Lice

TJ Addict
The land of 'salmon & grizzlies' ....... BC
Being a 'Canuck' ..... our vehicles are equipped with daytime headlights. Mine don't come on. The PO may have disabled them?

1) Where would I begin to look for the 'fix' ..... ?
2) Once in awhile, the right side front signal light will come on when the brakes are applied ..... ?
3) What is this 4 pin plug for ..... left fender wall ..... ?
Three questions ..... me bad !!
IMG_1749.JPG

I'm going to tag @billiebob or @derekmac for this. Maybe one of them knows, since they're from Canada as well. I'll edit the title to make it appeal to more Canadians who might be browsing too.

Reactions: Head Lice
Being a 'Canuck' ..... our vehicles are equipped with daytime headlights. Mine don't come on. The PO may have disabled them?

1) Where would I begin to look for the 'fix' ..... ?
2) Once in awhile, the right side front signal light will come on when the brakes are applied ..... ?
3) What is this 4 pin plug for ..... left fender wall ..... ?
Three questions ..... me bad !!View attachment 20526
1. Check the daytime running light module. I'm not much help on this one - I've never seen one in person.

2. Possible corroded socket at the rear brake light.

3. Probably for the ABS that you don't have. Tell me the wire colors and I can make sure.
bf4ca2714960a434c435ee722d398b41.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My DRL's don't work either, lol. I just got in the habit of turning my lights on as soon as I start the Jeep. The module is knowing for going from what I've hear, so I haven't bothered to replace it. It should also be on the drivers side firewall.

*not my pic*
2010-11-09_073218_1.jpg

Reactions: Head Lice and StG58
They are mandatory in Canada, not in the US, bit of a debate about them. I have two Canadian built mopars, my TJ and a Dodge Ram, so both have the DRL's. One thing, that I did not notice in the schematic above, but when you put the parking brake on the DLR's go off. You may have an issue with a switch on the park brake handle.

B

I've had a TJ and an LJ certified / safety checked in the last 5 years and the DRL's didn't work on either of them ... and they still don't!

This is the CDN DRL module.... on the '05TJR... It does many other lighting things too.

It works on motion. Sensing motion it turns the DRL on. When the motion sensor fails,,, it defaults to, turn the DRL on.... even if it is parked, locked, keys in yer pocket.

The only way to turn them off, unplug the lights.
The fix, buy a new module or cut the red/white wire. Me, I never want to find a dead battery because the module failed. I cut the red/white wire.

Cars must be manufactured with DRL. A USA car, Must have DRL to be registered in Canada but there is no "law" stating they must be kept operational. Unless your Province, City has inspections and makes them mandatory.

IMG_1523.jpg

Reactions: derekmac
I don't know electronic schematics or wiring well...but I'm Canadian, and have a TJ, and I got a ticket for not having my daytime running lights operating a couple years ago. (I didn't realize it stopped).
They were specificially told to flag down everyone without daytime running lights before winter. I live in Manitoba. It's a $250 ticket here.

I don't remember exactly what the issue ended up being.
I know I replaced the DRL module with one from another Dodge in the junkyard. (Which I don't think I needed in the end, but just letting you know the DRL modules are not TJ specific).

I also ended up wiring my headlights to use relays, using all new wiring. But that was also because I had replaced a burnt headlight switch a couple times in it's life already, and it just made sense to do it.

There was a short somewhere...but yeah, as above, you need an operational speedo wire as the headlights don't come on until a few feet of moving.

Note: There may/may not be an "issue" with LED headlights too, as DRL's send less power to the headlight in "daytime", and it's not enough for some LED's to turn on.

As for question #2 - right front signal light sometimes comes on when the brakes are applied - sounds like a grounding issue. I had something similar to that before, which seemed illogical to me at the time. My turn signal operation was "oddly" related to the brakes and if the headlights were on/off. It could be a grounding issue at the front or the rear.

I found that my front turn signal socket was burnt, and I had to replace the whole unit (not just the bulb). I think I also had a bad 3rd brake light bulb too.
That's when I also found out about the "floating ground" turn signals/side markers use.
Turns out it wasn't as simple as "black -> neg", "red -> pos", because that "neg" would change depending on if the turn signal or headlights was on, or something like that. Initially confused the heck out of me. I'll have to see if I saved that info anywhere and post it if I find it.

Long story short - I'd check for grounding issues in your entire light system. Follow the wires, check for corrosion/burns, clean the grounds, etc.

Good info. I'm not Canadian but my tj does have the right turn signal indicator coming on occasionally on the right side.

I am unsure which light on the exterior lights up. I may need to pull off to check next time this occurs and follow up

Thanks guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk