Two tummy tuck questions relating to transmission and driveshaft

but I might have to forget about the lockers.
Don't do that. Of all the mods you list, lockers will give the most benefits. I'd do lockers before anything else. This is an LJ? so you have 3.73s and a Dana 44. With 33s 3.73 is fine. If you want 35s you will likely want deeper gears, even as a DD.

Do lockers and gearing if you need it number 1, since lockers are the best mod ever.

tummy tuck won't be TOO much more expensive compared to, say, lockers. That said, which one would be more valuable?
LOCKERS !!

With or without a TT you can get high centered and have 2 wheels spinning in the air with 2 wheels stuffed into the fenders. Lockers will save you. Lock up, let out the clutch, idle off the high center.

Climb a rocky embankment, Locked in 4L, idle up with no drama. Everyone else will be spinning tires, throwing rocks.

Lockers also let you tread lightly.

Last edited:
Good point. If you did that without doing a suspension lift, it would be much more manageable. It's when you start adding the suspension lift and the tummy tuck that you really start messing with the geometry.

Still, with the driveline being lifted 2-3" from the tummy tuck, it's still likely that you'll need a SYE and DC driveshaft, as well as upper adjustable rear control arms.

Maybe I could get away with stock being it's an LJ? But yeah, that's why I figured do the suspension first, since I'd get the adjustable control arms. Only bummer is if I need a new drive shaft twice. Once for the lift, then again for the tummy tuck.

Don't do that. Of all the mods you list, lockers will give the most benefits. I'd do lockers before anything else. This is an LJ? so you have 3.73s and a Dana 44. With 33s 3.73 is fine. If you want 35s you will likely want deeper gears, even as a DD.

Do lockers and gearing if you need it number 1, since lockers are the best mod ever.
LOCKERS !!

Correct on the axles. I don't know if I really need lockers, but I can't help but feel like they'd be more useful, especially if I'm already getting 6"-7" of clearance from the lift and tires alone.

I'm a little worried about 33s on 3.73 gearing, living in Washington. Which is kinda why I figured just get and gear for 35s and skip the 33s.

But yeah, the more I think about lockers, the better they sound. Just gotta decide which ones. But not automatic lockers.

I have lockers. I like lockers.

I will do TT next year. Then I have both! 😁😁😁😁😁😁

I am also moving to WA this year

it's still likely that you'll need a SYE and DC driveshaft,
All the 2" lifts work with stock driveline... and he has an LJ so his drive shaft is 10" longer than ours already. I'd leave the driveline stock until the lift gets installed.

But there is always the male ego testosterone thing.

Last edited:
I know (or, at least I think I know) that the longer arms give a smoother ride on the street. And while you don't have to get 5" or 6" long arms, 4" are available, you can go taller with them, making room for larger tires. But they do seem to get caught up on rocks easier?
Longer arms are a solution to a geometry problem. But it isn't the geometry problem you are describing. What you are describing is the misleading marketing BS that is used to sell crap kits to the uninformed.

I am curious if there is a limit to what short arms can do, regarding tire size. If tube and highline fenders were used, what could you potentially fit under a 4" short arm?

There are many very good reasons why 35s are considered the largest practical limit to a TJ on stock axles. Tire clearance is only one of those. Highlines in this case are best used to increase suspension travel, not as a way to fit an even larger tire.

Short arms are not a limit to anything at the reasonable lift heights that belong on a TJ, as far as fitting anything is concerned.

No, not the coils. Could the driveshaft fall out if there's too much lift and articulation? ...

Shocks determine the travel. The shocks don't care what arms are attached to the axle (the coils don't care about the arms either). Shocks that are inappropriate for the ride height can allow the coils to fall out.

I have lockers. I like lockers.

I will do TT next year. Then I have both! 😁😁😁😁😁😁

I am also moving to WA this year

Someday, I'll have both. Seems like the lockers will ultimately be more useful. And more cost effective to do while regearing.

What part? I'm in the Puget Sound, in Silverdale. Opposite side of Seattle.

If i could control my ego.............
I'd do lockers first.
TT, MML, BL second.
Lift, wheels, tires third.

I'd stick with 33s.
Bigger tires always lead to bigger everything else.
$$$$$ as things break or just need up grading.

All the 2" lifts work with stock driveline... and he has an LJ so his drive shaft is 10" longer than ours already. I'd leave the driveline stock until the lift gets installed.

Kinda what I was hoping. Sometimes I feel spoiled having an LJ.

Longer arms are a solution to a geometry problem. But it isn't the geometry problem you are describing. What you are describing is the misleading marketing BS that is used to sell crap kits to the uninformed.

There are many very good reasons why 35s are considered the largest practical limit to a TJ on stock axles. Tire clearance is only one of those. Highlines in this case are best used to increase suspension travel, not as a way to fit an even larger tire.

Short arms are not a limit to anything at the reasonable lift heights that belong on a TJ, as far as fitting anything is concerned.

Shocks determine the travel. The shocks don't care what arms are attached to the axle (the coils don't care about the arms either). Shocks that are inappropriate for the ride height can allow the coils to fall out.

I hate to be uninformed, but I can only figure out so much at a time. Watching a video on how an open diff works was somewhat mind blowing, to be honest.

If I went larger than 35s, I'd definitely do an axle swap. I guess I kinda figured that the highlines would allow the larger tires to travel further? I guess I'm not getting something. But anything above 35s is far in the future, and not super likely.
I'd do lockers first.
TT, MML, BL second.

I'd stick with 33s.

I'm starting to see the love you guys have for lockers. I'd like to say I could control my ego, but sometimes I gotta do what it wants.

Once you have them, you will never look back. Trust me. Lockers are the best most functional mod ever. If you need a TT.... you will need lockers.

Exactly why I started thinking about doing those first. Or, at least the same time as the lift and gear, but before the tummy tuck.

Someday, I'll have both. Seems like the lockers will ultimately be more useful. And more cost effective to do while regearing.

What part? I'm in the Puget Sound, in Silverdale. Opposite side of Seattle.
Spokane, a ways a way...

But there is always the male ego testosterone thing.

Duh, I missed the LJ part. You're right in that case!

Yeah it is. I drove through it on my way out from Virginia. Looks completely different from where I am. Gotta say, though, the northern part of Idaho was really nice.
Yeah, I”m looking forward to Idaho next door. Maybe do some wheelin out that way. Montana as well, not too far away. I’m sure I’ll come your way to the Cascades and check that out. Looks beautiful that way.

I'd do lockers first.
TT, MML, BL second.

I'd stick with 33s.
It all depends on timing but if you plan to do it all within a year or so I'd recommend doing the lift, MML and BL before the tummy tuck. It may save you from buying multiple rear CV driveshafts.

Also give a vote to Lockers early in the build. They are great.

A TT is a really cool mod. I have been gearing up for it (literally now at 456 gears). I like to do one thing at a time so that if there is a problem it is easy to track down. It will leave my rig down for a week or so, if I’m conservative in my thinking. But I think I can do it all if I can do the SYE first. One that’s done I can do the crossmember and push it all up. Then I can measure for the DC and get that on order. Modify the exhaust and do the CA’s while I wait and be ready to put the shaft in when it arrives. Make minor adjustments and see what happens. I’d love to go flat. I think my build would be fantastic at that point, if all goes well. It’s something to dream about. Dream on friend...If you build it, it will happen.

It all depends on timing but if you plan to do it all within a year or so I'd recommend doing the lift, MML and BL before the tummy tuck. It may save you from buying multiple rear CV driveshafts.

Also give a vote to Lockers early in the build. They are great.

That's why I was leaning that way. I'll REALLY have to consider those lockers now.

Yeah, I”m looking forward to Idaho next door. Maybe do some wheelin out that way. Montana as well, not too far away. I’m sure I’ll come your way to the Cascades and check that out. Looks beautiful that way.

I spend more time in the Olympics, but I personally prefer the Cascades. Skiing, driving between through the mountains, and the waterfalls are nice.

A TT is a really cool mod. I have been gearing up for it (literally now at 456 gears). I like to do one thing at a time so that if there is a problem it is easy to track down. It will leave my rig down for a week or so, if I’m conservative in my thinking. But I think I can do it all if I can do the SYE first. One that’s done I can do the crossmember and push it all up. Then I can measure for the DC and get that on order. Modify the exhaust and do the CA’s while I wait and be ready to put the shaft in when it arrives. Make minor adjustments and see what happens. I’d love to go flat. I think my build would be fantastic at that point, if all goes well. It’s something to dream about. Dream on friend...If you build it, it will happen.

It's so easy to get caught up in too many things at once, but less at once is safer. And cheaper. Typically. Is the tummy tuck pretty much your last step?

So for me, at this point it really depends on whether or not I can safely run 4" or lift with my stock driveshaft. If I can, I'll hold off on the tummy tuck for now, and focus more on lockers. If not, well, I'll have to either accept I'll need two driveshafts, or try to figure out the tummy tuck.

Is the tummy tuck pretty much your last step?
Theoretically. But realistically there is no last step.

So for me, at this point it really depends on whether or not I can safely run 4" or lift with my stock driveshaft. If I can, I'll hold off on the tummy tuck for now, and focus more on lockers. If not, well, I'll have to either accept I'll need two driveshafts, or try to figure out the tummy tuck.
No, you can’t run a stock driveshaft on 4” of lift unless you are in an LJ, and then you probably can.

Theoretically. But realistically there is no last step.

No, you can’t run a stock driveshaft on 4” of lift unless you are in an LJ, and then you probably can.

That's true. My theoretical last step is a supercharger.

I do have an LJ. Just not a Rubicon. I've just heard that the driveshaft can fall out if it articulates too much? Or is that wrong?