I kept thinking about how yours rode the night I took it for a spin. I am looking forward to making mine similar.

Reactions: jjvw
We will need to do some driving test after. There is a lot to be learned from the minor things that are different.

I'm leaning towards Shawn's method. Chop x amount of inches and weld in a spacer (loose term).
If you’re doing a fab party, I’d love to be a fly on the wall or pair of dumb hands, if you guys wouldn’t mind. Seems like an interesting endeavor

I need to contact my buddy for his welder. But I have no problem with you being there!

I'm leaning towards Shawn's method. Chop x amount of inches and weld in a spacer (loose term).

I need to contact my buddy for his welder. But I have no problem with you being there!
Just read through this entire build. Very nice setup and very well described. Gave me some good ideas and another lesson to be learned... my TJ is new to me and I got the want to do it all right now mindset and should go enjoy it and build in stages. And I now want to move to Colorado based off your pictures (and that legal plant y’all enjoy so much over there 🤪)

Looking forward to the front shock fab activity !

Reactions: tworley and JMT
Shocks arrived on Saturday. I can see why these things rust quickly. One already has a scratch and the paint looks like it was applied haphazardly. Ill scuff them up and throw on additional primer and another coat of paint (probably black since I have a ton of it)

Reactions: T_Hase89 and jjvw
Scuffed, primed, and colored. There was maybe one, real light coat of white the way they came.

20190917_191021.jpg
20190917_192018.jpg

I swapped my 02 sensor today. I had no issues prior to do doing this, but it was one of those things that I didn't know if it was original or not. I pulled off an NTK sensor so I am assuming original. 127k miles. I inspected afterwards and found a small break in the insulation, had I not pulled it today I am sure I would have experienced an issue this winter.
20190921_140518.jpg

Replaced with another NTK. 23151 according to the forum. The downstream was replaced three years ago when I replaced the cat.

20190921_135924.jpg

I put in a new ujoint and centering ball again on the rear driveshaft. A heavy vibe and slight chirping. The one I took out I bought locally a couple weeks ago and even though I greased it, I dont think the ball itself had enough grease underneath. I made sure the replacement was packed nice and tight

Attachments

• 20190928_103256.mp4
    4.1 MB
Well I just spent over an hour reading through this entire build. Very interesting and informative, great work!

Reactions: tworley
$99. I'll keep one as a spare. They both blow air when the clutch is turning. Both turn awfully smooth. One is stamped 709TA11 which I am still trying to decipher. The only difference I see between the two is the suction and discharge ports are horizontal vs vertical
20191009_141805.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Looks like the same fittings as my York. They are an unusually large flare fitting that needs to be transitioned into NPT. Commerce City Ace Hardware had what I needed.

Looks like the same fittings as my York. They are an unusually large flare fitting that needs to be transitioned into NPT. Commerce City Ace Hardware had what I needed.
These are actually already threaded. 3/4" (ish) by eyeballing it. My leatherman wasn't big enough to turn these to remove them.
20191009_150926.jpg

The black one looks like it may have been a refurbished model (guessing) since it has been painted black. Its also missing the original sanden tag. The other one (709T11A) as far as I can tell just held a different type of refrigerant. These came out of a 93 and a 95 XJ.