looks good.

would 1 of those cheap 1/4" aluminum spacers from Autozone push the wheel out enough without shorting the lugs?

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley
So we measured this axle about a million times. The trackbar mount sticks out the furthest at 1/4" more than stock. It is going to be incredibly tight when the axle and currie steering get installed (on the trackbar and dampner side). Everything else on the axle matches the stock setup (based on another HP30 on the ground, and my own Dana 30 currently under the rig (within a 1/16")). We do have some ideas if we run into problems, which involves cutting/welding the mount on both sides and moving it inward, and shaving the passenger side sway bar link. We played with the control arm mounts too, stock mounts are roughly at a 45° angle. The way the new mounts burn in are actually 25°, but the bolt for the CA is still in the same location. It will be interesting to see how that plays out in the rocks. If we went even higher with the mount by notching it and moving it up into the spring pad, the control arms would have to be shortened about an 1" or more. If we lowered them to stock level (further under the axle), the CA would need to be lengthened a bit. I believe Artec has a really well thought out design here, and have taken into account that if one is running 3/16" and 1/4" brackets, that they probably are not running a stock steering set up. They could have made the track bar mount further inward towards the axle, but so far that is the only downside we seem to have found with this kit.

With that said, I met a stripper yesterday...

20191216_143224.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
the TB mount does look like it sits just inside the upright of the sway link bracket, so as long as those cause no issue you might get by. that dampener bracket might be the tight spot.

i do have an Artec front raised TB bracket, i don't need. if you have to make changes and think it could help, it's yours.
if you hit a snag' i'll shoot you pics and maybe i could even cut or re-bend it to suit, b4 sending it your way.

the TB mount does look like it sits just inside the upright of the sway link bracket, so as long as those cause no issue you might get by. that dampener bracket might be the tight spot.

i do have an Artec front raised TB bracket, i don't need. if you have to make changes and think it could help, it's yours.
if you hit a snag' i'll shoot you pics and maybe i could even cut or re-bend it to suit, b4 sending it your way.
Appreciate the offer! I actually have the same bracket that I recieved with this axle. The spring perch kit I bought included another one too. So I do have a spare to tinker with if needed. I should get a call back sometime after xmas to pick up the axle. They're media blasting first, then chemical dipping. Currently working on getting the new diff covers cleaned up and repainted too

Reactions: someguysjeep
Drove up to Wyoming for Christmas to see family. Kept the RPMs at 2600 best I could which is around 75 mph +/- with the AX-15, 4.56 gears and 35" tires. I averaged 14.3 mpg over a 900 mile span. Best tank was my last tank at 15.7 mpg. Worst was my second tank at 13.1 mpg. Fuel light typically came on around 220 on each tank.

Not really jeep related, but I bought a new air compressor today for the garage. I've heard good things about Rolair and my dad said they are bought regularly by contractors at his lumberyard. This will be used primarily for low tires, maybe cleaning the dust out of the garage and any small air tools in the future.

20200102_120846.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the steering!
I'd be lying if I said I was upset. Does this mean I am a hardcore wheeler?

This definitely happened during jeeptober, my steering has been clocked about 1 o'clock ever since that weekend

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
Regear and axle swap complete. I still need to fix a few things like the bumpstops (until the upper shock mount is raised), toe needs slightly adjusted again, and the steering wheel straightened. The arms are much shorter than before. Also my trackbar frame mount had a lot of play in it. With all new bushings, new arm lengths, and fixed tb mount, the steering is incredibly responsive. I can't believe I didn't notice it before. The new shocks pair well with the tuned foxes. It seems to just glide over bumps now. I also swapped my BMB pads as they were incorrect for the last year. I'll need to do another break in. 12 hour day today, and a 9 hour day yesterday, I'm pooped. Oh, and 5.13s are so much better than 4.56:giggle:

20200104_083612.jpg
20200104_154552.jpg
20200104_154557.jpg
20200104_175349.jpg

I lost my plate on the Chinaman trail... so yeah, that may be useful, here’s the remaining damage I couldn’t fix and opted for zip ties to avoid another 78$ fine...

View attachment 132652
This one used to be on the front, but I moved it to the back because it looked so bad.
1409282C-0396-422A-8A77-7B72E5A9F374.png

Then the one I moved from the back to the front got kinda crinkled.
A8A1D6F0-F8CA-42CF-9594-B0DB4857E73F.png

I register the Jeep here in WA next week, so we will now repeat this scenario.

Reactions: PRNDL
The ratcheting noise I was hearing a while ago is still there. Since both axles have been rebuilt, and both driveshafts rebuilt, I am guessing it is the tcase chain making the noise. I also have a slight leak at the output shaft. A new alloy chain and seal are on the way hopefully this week.

Told you I’d check your build for bumper info, if I read right, you are using the RC winch plate? No issues as of today?
Any anti-rock issues etc with the stick bumper/plate combo?
I’ve been getting my plan together, glad I can see other people’s issues before I encounter them.
I must of missed what front axle you’re building, is it just an HP Dana 30 or..?

I deleted a bunch of rambling about the JK Dana 30 I’m getting ready to build/swap. Would have started to derail tour thread.

Told you I’d check your build for bumper info, if I read right, you are using the RC winch plate? No issues as of today?
Any anti-rock issues etc with the stick bumper/plate combo?
I’ve been getting my plan together, glad I can see other people’s issues before I encounter them.
I must of missed what front axle you’re building, is it just an HP Dana 30 or..?

I deleted a bunch of rambling about the JK Dana 30 I’m getting ready to build/swap. Would have started to derail tour thread.
Yep, rough country winch plate. It does what it is supposed to. Only 50 or 60 bucks if I remember. No issues with the antirock. It sits on top of my stubby.

Just finished a high pinion Dana 30 build. Currently breaking in the new 5.13 gears

Yep, rough country winch plate. It does what it is supposed to. Only 50 or 60 bucks if I remember. No issues with the antirock. It sits on top of my stubby.

Just finished a high pinion Dana 30 build. Currently breaking in the new 5.13 gears

Was your MPG post with the new gears? How do they feel vs the old?