The F150 has had a slow coolant leak lately. The hoses from the water pump and radiator use Orings for a tight fit. Supposedly after time they flatten and in cooler weather shrink, causing leaks. So that was my afternoon

20220123_105019.jpg
20220123_112654.jpg
20220123_113153.jpg

Also added some Diode Dynamic SS3 Pro fogs in amber. Probably an unnecessary purchase, but I have always liked the amber fog light look. The functionality of them is just a plus 🙂

20220123_152254.jpg

It doesn't matter for trail communication at all but the sad ham in me can't help it, having another big chunk of copper right next to your antenna is making my head hurt. Like Ghostbusters, you are so close to crossing the streams! Cats sleeping with dogs, the chafing alone. Okay, I feel much better now, carry on.

It doesn't matter for trail communication at all but the sad ham in me can't help it, having another big chunk of copper right next to your antenna is making my head hurt. Like Ghostbusters, you are so close to crossing the streams! Cats sleeping with dogs, the chafing alone. Okay, I feel much better now, carry on.

Does it affect it even with power off? My cb isn't working, my passenger antenna mount is packed in a box somewhere, but I'll move it if needed

Reactions: Wildman
Does it affect it even with power off? My cb isn't working, my passenger antenna mount is packed in a box somewhere, but I'll move it if needed
It doesn't matter for trail communication but ya, a big section of copper wire placed next to an antenna generally is a bad idea, the RF elecricities don't like it. Honestly all I'd worry about is them banging together because they have different bendy-ness and you don't want to ruin the finish on your spendy sticks.

OK how far away is far enough? Meaning can you have a left mount and a center mount and a right mount if you were running all 3 types of radios?

OK how far away is far enough? Meaning can you have a left mount and a center mount and a right mount if you were running all 3 types of radios?
For trail communication it doesn't matter. You aren't doing DX sad ham stuff are you? You can absolutely run all of them as close as you want. 1/4 to 1/2 wavelength apart, how much is that, I'm sure somebody will have the answer?

Reactions: Wildman
For trail communication it doesn't matter. You aren't doing DX sad ham stuff are you? You can absolutely run all of them as close as you want. 1/4 to 1/2 wavelength apart, how much is that, I'm sure somebody will have the answer?

I haven't done anything YET but while I can do testing online I've been looking at getting my Ham lic. My club still uses CB's and since I have a empty compartment in my overhead console I figured I'd either mount a Ham or GMRS.

Reactions: pagrey
Get your licence, it's worth the effort. Get GMRS, it's what everybody uses. If the club uses CB that's the ticket. Simple, right?

I started looking at stuff in this thread.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/gmrs-or-ham-radio.56422/
I just need to devote a week of nights to study and then take the test. When I was a kid living in Alaska I learned Morse Code and was working on getting my Ham lic back them. Was going to get a Heathkit Ham radio.... Am I dating myself yet... Never finished it and then we moved back to WA.

My club doesn't do the GMRS yet and sticks to CB's. I can't speak for other groups yet but hopefully soon I can. So yes I'd like to cover all three types so I'm good for whomever I happen to be running with.

Reactions: D M
I just need to devote a week of nights to study and then take the test.
Don't worry about using ham frequencies if you don't get the licence. You can still talk with buddies if you are minimally polite. It's the same with GMRS, I don't worry about either licence. Passing the test was rewarding for me, sending a check to the government, not so much.

Reactions: tworley and Wildman
My club doesn't do the GMRS yet and sticks to CB's. I can't speak for other groups yet but hopefully soon I can.

I think I'm the last hold out in our group, I prefer the CB but since it isn't working, I needed something for our trip in a couple weeks. I'll admit, the clarity is nice.

I think I'm the last hold out in our group, I prefer the CB but since it isn't working, I needed something for our trip in a couple weeks. I'll admit, the clarity is nice.
It doesn't help the CB case that pretty much all our radios started going fubar within the last year. I think mine was the only one still working before I pulled it.

It doesn't help the CB case that pretty much all our radios started going fubar within the last year. I think mine was the only one still working before I pulled it.
When I look at how compact the GMRS is along with the extra hand held units I now have, I know I won't miss the CB when I finally remove its lifeless carcass from the Jeep.

Reactions: Igoo65 and rasband
y'all are divin in with the mounted units, the equip will do me no good unless i'm around any of y'all so i'm thinkin a hand held might be all i invest in for now.
I bought the baofeng last year to try out and hated that it was on the seat. It would roll around and I'd lose it. I didn't like that i had to charge it each night and also had a very hard time hearing it.

Reactions: jjvw
I bought the baofeng last year to try out and hated that it was on the seat. It would roll around and I'd lose it. I didn't like that i had to charge it each night and also had a very hard time hearing it.
FYI, there are a couple of home built solutions to the loose walkie-talkie problem on this forum. @someguysjeep

Reactions: SvtLdr