Type of truck to go with?

Starrs

TJ Guru
If given the choice would you chose a dodge Dakota with the V8 or the 3.4 Tacoma? Both are ranked very high as reliable trucks. Never thought about a Dakota until now, but they don’t look that bad. Would really like to have a truck in the next few months. Really miss a bed when you don’t have one!

Personally I’d go Tacoma. Always been a fan of the Taco but haven’t owned one yet. What year Dodge or Toyota are you looking at?

Personally I’d go Tacoma. Always been a fan of the Taco but haven’t owned one yet. What year Dodge or Toyota are you looking at?
All over really. Not wanting to spend a ton, so I ventured out with the type of truck search. Tacos are so damn expensive it doesn’t matter what the year is lol. I love the 97-04, but I also really like the 16-18. The Dakota is like the early 2000s.

Reactions: ac_
All over really. Not wanting to spend a ton, so I ventured out with the type of truck search. Tacos are so damn expensive it doesn’t matter what the year is lol. I love the 97-04, but I also really like the 16-18. The Dakota is like the early 2000s.
Same years I like as well, the older yea ones I always wanted, but never got one, couldn't afford at the time. Now the mileage is insane on the remaining ones. And yea, the price too.

Tacoma, not even a question about it.

That engine (and the Tacoma in general) are arguably the most reliable car in the WORLD!

Top Gear proved that with the Hilux that they simply could not destroy.

Yep, there is not really a question here. Taco all the way! Loved my 2000 while I had it.

My friend has a Tacoma. Rolled it in a ditch in a couple feet off water. Smacked a guard rail. Hit a curb going backwards hydoplaning. Hit a few other things too. Lol and that sum bitch is still going strong. So I would say it's tried and true. But if I had my choice, it'd be some kind of f150 quad cab. Note older trucks are alot easier to work on than new trucks.

I think this answers your question. There is a reason the Tacoma's are more expensive!

I'm a big guy and I find the Dakota a better fit. But I'd probably pick a full size 250 series truck. For space, payload and towing. It is so easy to overload a half ton or smaller.

My questions would be, what are you going to carry what are you going to pull? I have an old school heavy duty regular cab F250 4x4 with the 460. Rough riding farm truck that has horrible fuel economy but will haul or pull anything and sits way up high in its stock configuration so clearance in the field is not an issue. It is not a soccer mom's grocery getter. I occasionally pull a horse trailer and would not think twice about dropping 3/4 of a ton of gravel in the back (would make it ride better). If your purpose is Home Depot runs, a Toyota would be fine. America's favorite truck is the F150. I was always fond of Chevy trucks as well. I had a Toyota in the past. They are okay, but I would pit Detroit iron against it any day of the week on a work site.

My questions would be, what are you going to carry what are you going to pull? I have an old school heavy duty regular cab F250 4x4 with the 460. Rough riding farm truck that has horrible fuel economy but will haul or pull anything and sits way up high in its stock configuration so clearance in the field is not an issue. It is not a soccer mom's grocery getter. I occasionally pull a horse trailer and would not think twice about dropping 3/4 of a ton of gravel in the back (would make it ride better). If your purpose is Home Depot runs, a Toyota would be fine. America's favorite truck is the F150. I was always fond of Chevy trucks as well. I had a Toyota in the past. They are okay, but I would pit Detroit iron against it any day of the week on a work site.
Home Depot runs is about right haha. Im not hauling any big items. Just would like to have a truck for those times when we need it.

150K would not scare me. If it was loved it will do that again easily. Timing belts should be changed every 100k or so. Chains are better IMHO
Tacoma
1995-2017 4-Cylinder Chain
1995-2004 V6 Belt
2005-2017 V6 Chain

Don't overlook an older Toyota T-100. They were basic, reliable, and had an 8' bed available.

Reactions: Starrs