Typical cost for replacing front inner axle seals?

Guys,

Just curious, what is typical cost to have Rubi front inner axle seals replaced from independent shop (not stealer)?

Thanks,

Ken
Quote or actual? Quote should be in the 250ish neighborhood with actual running from 2-600. The range is based on any problems or issues getting stuff apart due to rust issues and gear set up.

Inner Axle seals aren't really difficult if you are interested in doing it yourself.

Are you having a leak?

I estimate the last time I did one it was about 1 hour start to finish, no hurry. I can imaging each step of the way having some sort of issue though.

Reactions: kmac5130
Remove the brakes, take off the axle shaft nuts. Next step is to remove the wheel bearings, they may give u a fight due to Pennsylvania rust. Next pop out the shafts, remove the diff cover. 4 bolts to get the carrier out, and then you are at the seals. Depending on if the wheel bearings or u joints on the axle shaft have been replaced recently or not you may want to do them when in there.
Carrier bearing bolt torque is 55 foot pounds, use lock tite
Wheel bearing nut torque is 175

Inner Axle seals aren't really difficult if you are interested in doing it yourself.

Are you having a leak?

I estimate the last time I did one it was about 1 hour start to finish, no hurry. I can imaging each step of the way having some sort of issue though.
I plan to do myself, just curious how much I'm saving myself, lol

Remove the brakes, take off the axle shaft nuts. Next step is to remove the wheel bearings, they may give u a fight due to Pennsylvania rust. Next pop out the shafts, remove the diff cover. 4 bolts to get the carrier out, and then you are at the seals. Depending on if the wheel bearings or u joints on the axle shaft have been replaced recently or not you may want to do them when in there.
Carrier bearing bolt torque is 55 foot pounds, use lock tite
Wheel bearing nut torque is 175
Thanks Erik

Guys,

Just curious, what is typical cost to have Rubi front inner axle seals replaced from independent shop (not stealer)?

Thanks,

Ken
I had mine done by a shop I trust and know has done the job plenty of times before. Starting to feel I was overcharged. Could be California prices, though. I know it's a pain without the proper tool to seat the new seals. Either way, I didn't have a place to do the job properly at the time. My Rubi is an 04.

Axle guides were $15 for both (68008412)
Seals were $50 for both (68304271) This part number might have changed.
Outer seal kit was $100 (11105)
Gear Oil refill was $48 (85-140)
Labor including install of outer seal kit $575
Parts- $212
Labor- $575

Total with tax out the door $809

I had mine done by a shop I trust and know has done the job plenty of times before. Starting to feel I was overcharged. Could be California prices, though. I know it's a pain without the proper tool to seat the new seals. Either way, I didn't have a place to do the job properly at the time. My Rubi is an 04.

Parts- $212
Labor- $575

You paid 115 bucks for shit we toss in the trash.

Parts- $212
Labor- $575

Thanks ejay

Are you having a leak?

Yes, minor leak on D side. Parts arrived today, plan to install this week

Them and the axle guides. We'll quit beating on them that use them when why not to use them becomes common knowledge enough that folks quit using them.
Let's put it this way.

When I had them installed, the wrong inner seals were installed by accident. As a result, they still leaked. They leaked right past the outer seals. Does that mean the outer seals were not doing their job? Maybe. The right seals were later installed. (Yeah, I know) I got them to keep debris out. When the axles were pulled, the tubes were full of mud and leaves. Do they keep water out? Probably not. Do they keep the leaves out? For sure. Do they keep gear oil in when the inner seals fail? Proof is in the pudding. The point is that they are doing the job I want them to do. And by accident, they proved that they are not preventing me from knowing if the inner seals are leaking. Not sure if they do everything that they say they do but they do what I want them to do. Simple as that.

And....it was my $115 to waste. No need to be a Jackie about it.

Let's put it this way.

When I had them installed, the wrong inner seals were installed by accident. As a result, they still leaked. They leaked right past the outer seals. Does that mean the outer seals were not doing their job? Maybe. The right seals were later installed. (Yeah, I know) I got them to keep debris out. When the axles were pulled, the tubes were full of mud and leaves. Do they keep water out? Probably not. Do they keep the leaves out? For sure. Do they keep gear oil in when the inner seals fail? Proof is in the pudding. The point is that they are doing the job I want them to do. And by accident, they proved that they are not preventing me from knowing if the inner seals are leaking. Not sure if they do everything that they say they do but they do what I want them to do. Simple as that.

And....it was my $115 to waste. No need to be a Jackie about it.
You are the anomaly. I've had this conversation at least 10 times when owners have shown up to have me install a big brake kit. I explain that you want to know when the inners die since the diff can pump the long side axle tube full of oil which is low enough to damage the gear set and bearings and you never know it.

They give me about the same amount of grief I'm getting from you until we pull the long side axle and oil runs out. Oddly, they have never offered to take the seals they ask us to remove home with them.

Other than that, Oh My GOD!!!!! leaves are in my axle tube. Whatever will I do???????

You are the anomaly. I've had this conversation at least 10 times when owners have shown up to have me install a big brake kit. I explain that you want to know when the inners die since the diff can pump the long side axle tube full of oil which is low enough to damage the gear set and bearings and you never know it.

They give me about the same amount of grief I'm getting from you until we pull the long side axle and oil runs out. Oddly, they have never offered to take the seals they ask us to remove home with them.

Other than that, Oh My GOD!!!!! leaves are in my axle tube. Whatever will I do???????
Debris man...debris. Aside from leaves, it's a broad term. Now...no debris. :) I'm happy with them and I whole heartedly recommend them despite your low brow expression of your opinion on them. Nothing you (or Jerry) has said yet has proved that they are in any way, shape, or form harmful. Am I wrong?

You're very knowledgeable in many respects which is reflected in many well written posts on this forum. Sadly it would seem that knowledgebase doesn't include manners.

I explain that you want to know when the inners die since the diff can pump the long side axle tube full of oil which is low enough to damage the gear set and bearings and you never know it.

They give me about the same amount of grief I'm getting from you until we pull the long side axle and oil runs out.
Debris man...debris. Aside from leaves, it's a broad term. Now...no debris. :) I'm happy with them and I whole heartedly recommend them despite your low brow expression of your opinion on them. Nothing you (or Jerry) has said yet has proved that they are in any way, shape, or form harmful. Am I wrong?

You're very knowledgeable in many respects which is reflected in many well written posts on this forum. Sadly it would seem that knowledgebase doesn't include manners.
personally id want to avoid the above. I write off outer axle seals as marketing wank. If it was really necessary Dana or Jeep likely would have added them.

personally id want to avoid the above. I write off outer axle seals as marketing wank. If it was really necessary Dana or Jeep likely would have added them.
While I don't completely disagree, in retrospect there are lots of things that Jeep should have thought of or designed wrong. (frame rails are #1 on the list)

Reactions: xxdabroxx
They did. Although they call them oil slingers. Most people leave them off the first time the axle is pulled. Dana probably named the part for the reason @mrblaine stated, so you would know the inner seal is leaking. 🤷🏼‍♂️
3232446A-0E6F-4CB4-ADC7-CAE35300674E.jpeg

Last edited: