Typical cost for replacing front inner axle seals?

Please see previous post. Both myself and another forum member had leaking inner seals with the outer seal installed. Still leaked past the outer seals.

I'll admit I considered them at one time but read plenty of pros and cons. For my use the cons outweighed any pros..

Reactions: ejay
In the vast majority of these type discussions, it is hard for folks to get out of their own skin for a moment. The advantage we have is we work on a vast array of TJs. We also do a wide variety of work on them. I didn't wake up one day and decide I didn't like outer tube seals because I had a hard on for the company that developed them. We saw a series of the same issues, contemplated them with an eye toward risk and reward and arrived at the sound conclusion that whatever perceived harm they may prevent was highly overshadowed by actual issues we found consistently. No one should ever want to drive around at any point in time with the long side axle tube full of oil that was pumped out of the diff. If you are one that does, that is deliberate ignorance.

And yet, your logic failed; at least in my circumstance it did. That's your logic, right? You won't be able to tell if your inner seals are leaking?

And you call it "deliberate ignorance".

In the vast majority of these type discussions, it is hard for folks to get out of their own skin for a moment. The advantage we have is we work on a vast array of TJs. We also do a wide variety of work on them. I didn't wake up one day and decide I didn't like outer tube seals because I had a hard on for the company that developed them. We saw a series of the same issues, contemplated them with an eye toward risk and reward and arrived at the sound conclusion that whatever perceived harm they may prevent was highly overshadowed by actual issues we found consistently. No one should ever want to drive around at any point in time with the long side axle tube full of oil that was pumped out of the diff. If you are one that does, that is deliberate ignorance.

Experience always out weighs product claims or advertising.

Anyone have a link to where the outer plates can be purchased?

1579447992171.png

And yet, your logic failed; at least in my circumstance it did. That's your logic, right? You won't be able to tell if your inner seals are leaking?

And you call it "deliberate ignorance".
You are missing the absurdity of wanting a seal that doesn't and that is your claim to efficacy.

You are missing the absurdity of wanting a seal that doesn't and that is your claim to efficacy.

I'll explain it a third time to you. It does what I want it to do. It keeps debris out.

It would seem that you and I are not going to see eye to eye on this. Chalk this conversation up as #11. Clearly it's a sore subject for you, too. Your approach has been less than desirable (there is no need to be passive aggressive) and has only strengthened my perception of the outer seal kit; but not for what it claims to do. Actually, I don't know what it claims to do. But, it does exactly what I want it to do and does not prevent me from knowing if I have leaking inner seals. Where's the deliberate ignorance in that?

I'm no stranger to admitting when I install worthless gear based on hype. My slotted rotors are an example of that. I haven't seen any evidence from others that I personally know who have outer seals installed, or from my personal experience that tells me that they are harmful or dangerous. Overpriced? Maybe....

I'll explain it a third time to you. It does what I want it to do. It keeps debris out.
So what?

It would seem that you and I are not going to see eye to eye on this. Chalk this conversation up as #11. Clearly it's a sore subject for you, too. Your approach has been less than desirable (there is no need to be passive aggressive) and has only strengthened my perception of the outer seal kit; but not for what it claims to do. Actually, I don't know what it claims to do. But, it does exactly what I want it to do and does not prevent me from knowing if I have leaking inner seals. Where's the deliberate ignorance in that?

You don't know what passive aggressive behavior is so stop using that as an accusation until you do.
To anyone paying attention, you are using something and defending the use thereof yet you don't know what it claims to do even though outer axle seal is right in the name. The deliberate ignorance is using a seal that doesn't when others clearly report and have experienced far more than the two examples you know of.

I'm no stranger to admitting when I install worthless gear based on hype. My slotted rotors are an example of that. I haven't seen any evidence from others that I personally know who have outer seals installed, or from my personal experience that tells me that they are harmful or dangerous. Overpriced? Maybe....
So you have to see it from someone you know before you can count it? Does that mean you know the owner personally of the other example you mentioned?

At the risk of pouring gasoline on the fire:

I now live in a locale where snow wheeling is popular. Many jeepers in my area who snow wheel on a regular basis advocate the front axle outer "seals" as a means to keep snow out of the axle tubes where it can apparently freeze and immobilize the axle shafts which can apparently be a real problem if one has front axle assemblies with unit bearings rather than manual hubs.

I say "apparently" because I don't snow wheel by choice, it has never happened to me, and I have not personally observed it happen. Someone else can debate whether the phenomenon is possible, impossible, or whether it alters the balance of pros and cons for front axle outer seals. I'm just reporting what I've heard.

Guys,
Just curious, what is typical cost to have Rubi front inner axle seals replaced from independent shop (not stealer)?
Thanks,
Ken
I can’t guess cost, I did the ones on the Dana 30 and it was fairly simple. If you take your time, it really is something you can do yourself. The seals themselves are no more than $5 each.
Make sure you have a 36mm 1/2” drive socket and a long ass 1/2” extension to tap the seals in; long enough to make it through the long side of the axle tube. Mark your bearings caps before you remove, install the same way.
I haven’t messed with a rubicon locker/carrier, someone smarter than I will have to make mention if removing the carrier can put anything out of whack.
You could come out of this project under $100 if you do it yourself.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
The soft rubber seal, or the housing that is barely proud of the axle tube?
The outer tube seals have an aluminum seal carrier that the axle shaft barely fits through. Lower ball joint failure would move the knuckle up forcing the shaft against the inner hole in the tube seal which would act as a fulcrum and lever the end of the axle down and take out the inner seal.

No disrespect to anyone who uses outer axle seals but I prefer to listen to people with experience with regard to product evaluations. When I first saw them advertised I gotta admit I was leaning toward getting them but then I read various opinions from knowledgeable people on this site and shit canned the idea. This proved to be the right decision because around the same time my TJ developed an inner axle seal leak on the front driver's side axle. I would have never known that if I had those outer axle seals. To each his own and it is your money but IMO spending money on a worthless accessory is fruitless.

No disrespect to anyone who uses outer axle seals but I prefer to listen to people with experience with regard to product evaluations. When I first saw them advertised I gotta admit I was leaning toward getting them but then I read various opinions from knowledgeable people on this site and shit canned the idea. This proved to be the right decision because around the same time my TJ developed an inner axle seal leak on the front driver's side axle. I would have never known that if I had those outer axle seals. To each his own and it is your money but IMO spending money on a worthless accessory is fruitless.

More than one real world application of this theory from members of this forum has indicated that it will not prevent the presentation of an inner seal breech. Maybe in some cases; who knows. Not been my experience.

BTW everyone is knowledgeable in their own right. I've received some pretty piss poor advice from supposed experts here and in the field so I suppose knowledgable is a subjective word.

Last edited:
Reactions: EzPeezy
More than one real world application of this theory from members of this forum has indicated that it will not prevent the presentation of an inner seal breech. Maybe in some cases; who knows. Not been my experience.

BTW everyone is knowledgeable in their own right. I've received some pretty piss poor advice from supposed experts here and in the field so I suppose knowledgable is a subjective word.

Well, if there ever was a sucker for shit that is useless but sounds good, it is me. I bought into the cold air intake, K&N filters, throttle body spacer gimmicks years ago when I had my XJ. I do a bit more research these days before I spend money on the pros and cons. Like I said I don't fault you for anything you buy as it is your money. Yes, knowledge is subjective with regard to issues like this.

Well, if there ever was a sucker for shit that is useless but sounds good, it is me. I bought into the cold air intake, K&N filters, throttle body spacer gimmicks years ago when I had my XJ. I do a bit more research these days before I spend money on the pros and cons. Like I said I don't fault you for anything you buy as it is your money. Yes, knowledge is subjective with regard to issues like this.

I get it.

Cold air can be done right IMO. Whether it does anything I suppose depends on the application. The kit that goes to the cowl seems promising but I haven't seen numbers that say it is.

I've got my own battle wounds with worthless 'upgrades' as well. As mentioned earlier in this post my #1 was my slotted/drilled rotors.

Worthless or not, when someone belittles another forum member for their opinion on a product it speaks volumes. You've been pretty respectful and open to discussion unlike some of the 'senior' forum members whom have not and should know better.

Reactions: HardSell
I get it.

Cold air can be done right IMO. Whether it does anything I suppose depends on the application. The kit that goes to the cowl seems promising but I haven't seen numbers that say it is.

I've got my own battle wounds with worthless 'upgrades' as well. As mentioned earlier in this post my #1 was my slotted/drilled rotors.

Worthless or not, when someone belittles another forum member for their opinion on a product it speaks volumes. You've been pretty respectful and open to discussion unlike some of the 'senior' forum members whom have not and should know better.

I am the last person to criticize anyone as my dumb shit moves would exceed The Encyclopedia Brittanica. 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: ejay