U-joint or ball joint noise. How do you know?

LittleGiant

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Recently been chasing some clunks and changed a bunch of stuff.

Tie rod ends
Sway bar links
Track bar
Upper/lower ball joints
U joints
Wheel hubs

Had a clunk/knock noise pop up quickly afterwards and it makes me wonder if I did something wrong.

I am 100% certain the noise if from the front left tire right where the ball joints and u joints are. I was underneath looking while my better half turned the wheel left and right quickly and heard it.

How can I determine if it’s the ball joint or the u joint? Could it be something else?

Recently been chasing some clunks and changed a bunch of stuff.

Tie rod ends
Sway bar links
Track bar
Upper/lower ball joints
U joints
Wheel hubs

Had a clunk/knock noise pop up quickly afterwards and it makes me wonder if I did something wrong.

I am 100% certain the noise if from the front left tire right where the ball joints and u joints are. I was underneath looking while my better half turned the wheel left and right quickly and heard it.

How can I determine if it’s the ball joint or the u joint? Could it be something else?

Spray we 40 on the u-joint and see if it goes away

Last edited:
Silly question, why would that make it go away? Also, if it does, then what?

If anything that moves is making noise and you spray it with a light lubricant and it gets quiet- Then you know that’s the culprit and you can replace it-

The theory behind what I’m saying is diagnose and then replace- This can make the difference between an OK jeep and a great jeep because you don’t run out of money throwing parts at one and you can afford to do everything the way you need to hopefully

I’ve read before about greasing the steering shaft. A needle into the boot. I didn’t know it had a boot! After a closer look it seems like the knob is coming from the steering box where th shaft enters it. Make me think I should replace the shaft and/or the gearbox

I’ve read before about greasing the steering shaft. A needle into the boot. I didn’t know it had a boot! After a closer look it seems like the knob is coming from the steering box where th shaft enters it. Make me think I should replace the shaft and/or the gearbox

More than likely the needle bearing is bad or just needs greased. They are less than $12.

If guys will slow down, pay attention and build the habit of diagnose first then proceed, they would save countless dollars, heartache and time. Doctors work that way ....”let’s run some tests”.

More than likely the needle bearing is bad or just needs greased. They are less than $12.

If guys will slow down, pay attention and build the habit of diagnose first then proceed, they would save countless dollars, heartache and time. Doctors work that way ....”let’s run some tests”.

Stupid question...Needle bearing is located where?

Looking the inside of your inner fender, and follow the steering shaft. You’ll see it goes through a bulkhead of sorts. There is a needle bearing in there.

Looking the inside of your inner fender, and follow the steering shaft. You’ll see it goes through a bulkhead of sorts. There is a needle bearing in there.

I thought the discussion was around U Joints squeaking?

Stupid question...Needle bearing is located where?

On the steering shaft in the engine bay inside a white plastic housing held to the drivers side fender well with a metal bracket- this shaft runs from the steering gearbox to the steering wheel.