U Joints slinging grease

Linderballs

Hey guys. For a while my Double Cardan rear driveshaft looks like its been slinging grease; its all over the bottom of the body tub and exhaust. If I keep it lubed should I be concerned? Or is it time for new joints?

Could they have been over-greased? If they are loose, leaking any brown/rust-colored dust, etc. I'd replace them with sealed Spicer 5-1310x u-joints which are stronger/more-durable than greasable u-joints are. At least they are stronger than the type of greasable u-joint with a single grease zerk in the body.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks! I've been looking for a reason to use my digital micrometer! I've been looking at videos online; do y'all think this is something one can do if he has a modicum of mechanical ability, but has never replaced a ujoint before? Out of curiosity I was just looking at the front driveshaft online; I didn't realize there was a double cardan on the front!

Yes. Double Cardan front driveshafts on the TJs.

You can do it, do a search for Stu Off-road where he has excellent how-to's for u-joints. Bookmark his site because he has all sorts of write-ups. All you need is the proper press and you can do it with some patience and a steady hand.

Reactions: Linderballs
One problem that new u-joint installers commonly cause is the u-joint to bind, caused by seating the bearing caps in a little too far/hard. That then presses on the u-joint body which binds it.

An easy way to relieve that binding is to use a BFH (big effing hammer) on the yoke that holds the u-joint to use inertia to drive the bearing cap back outward against the clips holding the bearing cap in place. Several mighty whacks on both sides of the yoke as shown is enough to relieve that most common type of u-joint binding.

u-joint relief.jpg

Last edited:
One problem that new u-joint installers commonly cause is the u-joint to bind, caused by seating the bearing caps in a little too far/hard. That then presses on the u-joint body which binds it.

An easy way to relieve that binding is to use a BFH (big effing hammer) on the yoke that holds the u-joint to use inertia to drive the bearing cap back outward against the clips holding the bearing cap in place. Several mighty whacks on both sides of the yoke as shown is enough to relieve that most common type of u-joint binding.

View attachment 11125

I learned this from our mechanics at work. It's a must do.