UCF Windshield Frame Guard Install

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
A trail ride last year resulted in a small dent in my windshield frame. To reduce the possibility of this happening again, the search began for a guard for the frame. After looking at the options available, I found a couple with light bar mounts, not my thing, and then two real candidates, i.e. GenRight and UCF. GenRight offers a 1/8" steel guard, priced at $199 and UCF offers1/8" steel and aluminum, both priced at $95.

Given the significant price difference, I opted for the UCF aluminum guards and ordered a set. As luck would have it, a 10% coupon came up during ordering, which resulted in a $95.50 total price, including shipping. The guards showed up 3 days later and were well packaged, unlike other UCF orders I've received. Upon removing them from the box a significant bulging weld bead was evident (As shown in pictures #1 and #2). Truth be told, I knew about this in advance, since it was shown online, but figured it could easily be eliminated with a little work.

https://undercoverfab.com/misc-armo...j.html#/22-material_type-1_8_6061_t6_aluminum
To remove the weld beads, I used a worn out 40 grit flap disc on the grinder, followed up with course and medium abrasive drill discs (Picture #3). The final results can be seen in picture #4. In case it's important, Picture #5 gives you an idea of what the backside looks like.

In my case, I decided to paint them body color, to match other armor. To do so, I used self-etching primer, three coats of color, then followed by 4 coats of clear. There was a small run on my final pass of clear, but I let it go, given I'd likely be paining them again.

When doing the install, it's best to do one side at a time, so the windshield frame doesn't move around. I did a test fit before painting, and lining up the bolts proved a little challenging. To resolve this issue the existing holes were enlarged one drill bit size. Once this was done the test fit was complete (Picture #6).

It's also important to note that UCF ships the hardware with 6 bolts and flat washers, along with 4 rivets for the top two smaller, holes. Since I'm not a fan of rivets, I drilled two 17/64" holes in te top of the frame and replaced them with 10-24 rivet nuts and bolts. The bolt heads can be seen in the top of Picture #6. Two last notes on the install. First, as seen in the bottom of Picture #6, you re-use one of the original torx bolts. Second, don't forget to use anti-seize when reinstalling everything!

Lastly, Picture #7 shows the finished product painted and installed. In the end, although they require a little work and patients to install, the UCF guards are a good product for the money!

Picture #1
UL7u3LR.jpg

Picture #2

rCtX9c4.jpg

Picture #3
eo7FjjR.jpg

Picture #4
UXxs8as.jpg

Picture #5
bvRfIis.jpg

Picture #6
gk9NV8N.jpg

Picture #7
RVldPZr.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone is looking to do this for about half the price you can use a set of light bar mounting brackets. They go up in the same way and protect the windshield, but are only $50. The pair I got is 1/8" steel. If you don't want to put on a light bar just trim off the top portion of the mount.