Ugh rear shock bolts....

The upper rear shock bolts can create problems. If yours haven't snapped off yet, spray them copiously with lots of a good penetrant like Kroil, Liquid Wrench, or Break-Free (not WD-40!!!) several times over a few days and that should help break them free. Kroil would be my #1 choice. :)

I got lucky. When I went to remove mine they came out without any problem whatsoever.
That is pretty common for Jeeps that have never spent time in the salt belt. My upper rear shock bolts never gave me problems either. But although the OP is in Colorado, no telling where his TJ came from which is why the penetrant was recommended. :)

That is pretty common for Jeeps that have never spent time in the salt belt. My upper rear shock bolts never gave me problems either. But although the OP is in Colorado, no telling where his TJ came from which is why the penetrant was recommended. :)

One more reason to outboard the shocks I suppose :D

I used PB Blaster every day for a week prior to removal, and then when I went to remove them I used Freeze-Off. I don't know if the Freeze-Off actually did anything, but all four came out without a problem.

If I had Kroil, that would have been my first choice.

For those who broke their bolts, what tool were you using to extract them? Ratcheting wrench or impact?

I broke 3 of four on my first TJ using a ratcheting wrench. I extracted all 8 rusty upper shock bolts on my next two jeeps using an impact gun (tighten/loosen/tighten/loosen).

I started soaking Mine in kroil weeks ago in preparation for the project. Broke my first off with a simple 3/8 ratchet.

Changed plan after the first initial break. Tried tighten loosen method with ratchet. Broke. Both broke with very minimal effort.

Swapped to impact . Adjusted the pressure way down. Broke. Same scenario on the second. Boom. All 4 broken.

With 2 TJ's and 1 XJ in the household that all suffer from the same malady I gave up even trying to remove them and have resorted to punching out the broken remains with the pneumatic hammer and dropping in new bolts.

With 2 TJ's and 1 XJ in the household that all suffer from the same malady I gave up even trying to remove them and have resorted to punching out the broken remains with the pneumatic hammer and dropping in new bolts.
Unfortunately for me, the pneumatic hammer wouldn't touch mine.