UK legal LED headlight upgrades

How bright are the Hellas though? Is it comparable to LEDs?
Bottom line, I do not think they are. As per above, they will accept an H4 compatible LED bulb, but that is not a legal set up. Also, since Jan the MOT checks were changed and it will be an MOT fail if spotted.

A matter of the good old form vs function decision and as ever beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My plan as well, just prefer the glass rather than polycarb and the more traditional look.

PS did you TJ have to come via Suez, was it delayed?
Stuck there for a few days, now steaming past Crete to Athens, then Italy somewhere, then Newcastle ETA 12 April ish..

Reactions: UKTJ
Stepped back from the edge and just went with Hella H4s
I’ve done the same for now: just installed them this afternoon.

One issue I had is the rubber 'boot' they come with to prevent moisture has a circular hole, and my stock H4 plug is sort of a square T shape. So I couldn’t fit the boot. What did you do?

I’ve done the same for now: just installed them this afternoon.

One issue I had is the rubber 'boot' they come with to prevent moisture has a circular hole, and my stock H4 plug is sort of a square T shape. So I couldn’t fit the boot. What did you do?
Hi, haven't got that far..awaiting my Jeep landing in the UK around 12th April then I can get my sticky paws on it!

Reactions: Succentor
I’ve got for the knockoff versions and I’m blown away by how good they are. They look like the real thing and cost a fraction of the price. I got mine from a website called Original Cafe Racer. Just make sure you get one with a DRL feature. Our UK Jeeps use the DRL as a parking light.
Hi mate, I'm glad ive found this thread as I just installed some halo headlights, and realised that our Jeeps have a seperate bulb going into the bottom of the stock headlights, connected to a pos & neg spade terminal, im guessing this is the DRL/parking bulb? So my question is, the Americans show to wire the halos you connect the DRL cable to a add-a-fuse in the fuse box. So how would we go about it with our cables that are already wired for DRL? Should I just leave them disconnected and wire the DRL to the fuse box, or should I wire the cable on the headlight to the existing DRL cables? Id appreciate the help, thank you!

Depends what you want.

The side light wire will only be live when the headlights switch is set to sidelights (first click). If you want DRLs (on all the time when the engine is running - most modern cars do this) then you need to run a new wire as the Americans do. Up to you.

Depends what you want.

The side light wire will only be live when the headlights switch is set to sidelights (first click). If you want DRLs (on all the time when the engine is running - most modern cars do this) then you need to run a new wire as the Americans do. Up to you.
Okay brilliant thank you! So if I wire it to the fuse box, is it okay leave the side light wires empty ended and Just put electrical tape over them? Is it not bad to be supplying electric to them without them connected to anything or does it not matter? Thanks

Yeah, you should be able to leave them taped up. It doesn't matter how you get the sidelights working, just as long as you do so you can pass your MOT.

Yeah, you should be able to leave them taped up. It doesn't matter how you get the sidelights working, just as long as you do so you can pass your MOT.
Perfect! Yeah I was actually just going to reinstall all the stock parts for MOT day, thrn plug everything back in afterwards just to save the chance of failing haha

Hi buddy, so I actually went ahead and took a shot in the dark and connected the original DRL lights to the Halo connector, and it works great, just comes on when I turn the stalk to the first click.
However I was just wondering if you could help me out with the wiring, as you see in the photos ive wired the blue positive to the DRL terminal, and then presumed the black was ground and wired that to a ground bolt. Is this correct? Or is that black wire actually powering the side light? I thought it was just a positivr and negative wire because they were both wired to the DRL bulb on the stock headlight?
Thank you

20210522_201922.jpg