Ultimate camping and towing rig

I did some research on driven vs steering vs all position vs trailer tires and then the differences between cross country vs regional and I kind of gave up. The biggest difference I could find is tread life. But when the expected life of a tire is 80,000 miles it doesn't seem like too much of a hardship if using a driven tire as a trailer tire knocks a few miles off it's life. Unless I'm missing something?

Conti does sell that as a winter tire but they also say it's an all season compound.

A lot of the 19.5s look like racing slicks and I have concerns about how they'll brake and track in wet and icy conditions.

Yeah lots to read. Steering tires, drive tires, and trailer tires all serve a specific purpose. Kind of like how you can use a pipe wrench in place of hammer but not the other way around. You'd probably be fine with the tire above, but its not designed for it. Worst case would be irregular wear. Drive tires typically have a very flat tread profile.

Agreed.

What is the problem with using a drive tire on a trailer? I think I had seen those Conti tires for around $225 each somewhere.
The biggest issue with using non trailer tires on a trailer is light truck and passenger tires are not designed to withstand the scrub that trailer tires encounter on tight turns.

With the 19.5 commercial tires it might not be as much of an issue with one that lists "all position".

These are rated at 75 mph and still have a decent tread pattern..
(just trying to keep your wallet a little fuller...:ROFLMAO:)

https://www.tires-easy.com/225-70-19.5/triangle-tires/tr685/tirecode/10156850490

Not a fan of the Triangle, tires are supposed to be round.

But seriously, we sold these in the past and the quality was not great, especially with uniformity. That was years ago, maybe they are better now?

For what you are investing here, I would try to stick with a name brand tire.

Not a fan of the Triangle, tires are supposed to be round.

But seriously, we sold these in the past and the quality was not great, especially with uniformity. That was years ago, maybe they are better now?

You're killing me man!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Kidding, glad you have experience with them though... Maybe Tox should "steer" clear of these then!!!

• Haha
Reactions: toximus and AMS417

Lol! The more I'm investing, the more I'm investing to protect the investment.

But you have a point. It seems like a blown tire could cost hundreds in damage to the fenders and trim of the trailer — not to mention the cost of the tire itself —- one of the reasons why first thought it could be beneficial to invest in a better tire from a purely financial standpoint. The other benefit is that I won't die on the side of the road while changing a tire.

Reactions: reddvltj
Lol! The more I'm investing, the more I'm investing to protect the investment.

But you have a point. It seems like a blown tire could cost hundreds in damage to the fenders and trim of the trailer — not to mention the cost of the tire itself —- one of the reasons why first thought it could be beneficial to invest in a better tire from a purely financial standpoint. The other benefit is that I won't die on the side of the road while changing a tire.
Consider a trailer TPMS as well. Will save you a blown tire the majority of the time with early warning on falling pressure. Cost about as much as 1 tire.

Consider a trailer TPMS as well. Will save you a blown tire the majority of the time with early warning on falling pressure. Cost about as much as 1 tire.

I ordered it with the truck but it's now looking like it doesn't transmit through steel ribbed tires. So you guys will need to talk me into a 2nd trailer I can use it on (jk. I'll take it off my order).

Any good TPMS units you guys recommend? Or ones to stay away from?

I was planning on 2 spares when I was looking at 16", but with 19.5" I wonder if I'd be alright with just 1? The truck will have just 1 after all.

Reactions: reddvltj
I ordered it with the truck but it's now looking like it doesn't transmit through steel ribbed tires. So you guys will need to talk me into a 2nd trailer I can use it on (jk. I'll take it off my order).

Any good TPMS units you guys recommend? Or ones to stay away from?

They make ones that mount on the valve stem, like a cap. Just make sure they have enough transmit range. My buddy has a set on his RV and it saved him a blown steer tire this fall on his way from Canada to Mexico. Caught it in time and was able to get the tire repaired. He picked up something and the tire spit it out so he was losing air fast. Pulled over, shoved a plug in it and aired it up. Truck stop patched it for him. Without the sensor it would have been thousands in damage to the rv and maybe a crash.

Will ask him what he has. I know it has a little LCD display he mounted on the dash.