Unable to pass emissions

Ann

hope someone can help us out. Unable to pass smog, says Cat Coverter is not ready. We've performed the drive cycle numerous times and is a daily driver too. It's been tuned up and looked over by our mechanic too. Everything is in good shape.

02 TJ Wrangler, 78k miles.
Replaced: oxygen sensors and a new battery.
No CEL or codes.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Is the engine running good and hot at its normal 210 degree temperature? How many drive cycles has the engine completed? It has been a while since I read that part of the manual but the requirement of 45 drive cycles for everything to be 'ready' seems to ring a bell.

These a tips from a friend who just went through the same thing and oddly we were talking about it yesterday...we don't do smogs where I live, so I've not had an issue.

1st, he added Guaranteed To Pass to his fuel tank. Be sure to follow the directions exactly. http://crcindustries.com/auto/?s=05063

Then, he scheduled a smog appointment (here in California, if you have an appointment, they must get your vehicle on the machine within 15 minutes to ensure that it is still at operating temp). Before his appointment, he drove his Jeep around for 45 minutes because the catalytic converter needs to be warmed up before it begins operating properly.

The 1st time he took it in for smog, it was flagged as a high risk polluter which he now believes was due to the fact that the shop had let his car sit for 2 hours before putting it on the machine, giving it too much time to cool down. The second time it was smogged at a smog only station for high risk polluters, the tech asked why he was even there considering the test results were better than some newer cars. Just to clarify, he did not do any repairs between the 1st test and the 2nd one.

Just be sure that it is warmed up to operating temp as Jerry suggested and insist that they get it on the machine within 15 minutes. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCSlater and Chris
These a tips from a friend who just went through the same thing and oddly we were talking about it yesterday...we don't do smogs where I live, so I've not had an issue.

1st, he added Guaranteed To Pass to his fuel tank. Be sure to follow the directions exactly. http://crcindustries.com/auto/?s=05063

Then, he scheduled a smog appointment (here in California, if you have an appointment, they must get your vehicle on the machine within 15 minutes to ensure that it is still at operating temp). Before his appointment, he drove his Jeep around for 45 minutes because the catalytic converter needs to be warmed up before it begins operating properly.

The 1st time he took it in for smog, it was flagged as a high risk polluter which he now believes was due to the fact that the shop had let his car sit for 2 hours before putting it on the machine, giving it too much time to cool down. The second time it was smogged at a smog only station for high risk polluters, the tech asked why he was even there considering the test results were better than some newer cars. Just to clarify, he did not do any repairs between the 1st test and the 2nd one.

Just be sure that it is warmed up to operating temp as Jerry suggested and insist that they get it on the machine within 15 minutes. Good luck.

Anyone guess why this chemical would work?

Anyone guess why this chemical would work?
I would categorize anything that says "guaranteed to pass" as something guaranteed to have a lot of clauses and gotchas on the back label. There's no way it can guarantee that any engine will pass given the plethora of reasons that would make an engine not pass its smog tests.

All that product does is clean the fuel system and a dirty fuel system is typically not the cause of a failed smog test. More common causes of failed smog tests include bad 02 sensors, vacuum leaks, bad catalytic converters, bad/leaky evaporative containment systems, engine not up to temperature, etc. and of course no additive is going to fix any of that.

No doubt the back label will include a caveat that it's only guaranteed to work if all of the other smog systems and related components are working properly.

I'd call that stuff the modern day equivalent of snake oil so far as what it infers it can accomplish.

Snakeoil.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I've heard of people doing weird things to pass emissions. Can't remember what, but I thought it had something to do with putting a bit of alcohol in the system or something. Either way, never tried it because I've never had an issue passion emissions.

I will say however that I am 100% anti-additives. I very firmly believe that the majority of additives out there are nothing but snake oil.

The trick to a better running engine isn't additives, it's basic care and maintenance. That's how you get an engine running properly.

Jerry and Chris this is exactly what I meant when I said what chemical(would fix a mechanical) could cause an emissions pass.

hope someone can help us out. Unable to pass smog, says Cat Coverter is not ready. We've performed the drive cycle numerous times and is a daily driver too. It's been tuned up and looked over by our mechanic too. Everything is in good shape.

02 TJ Wrangler, 78k miles.
Replaced: oxygen sensors and a new battery.
No CEL or codes.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
If you replaced the battery before the smog test, it will throw a code that has to have a specific number of drive cycles after the battery was swapped to get it past the smog test here in CA. You didn't mention where you are located so that may not apply.

The reason they do it that way is because folks will run around with all manner of emissions related codes thrown and then disco the battery to run it in for a smog test.

As for the drive cycle, on some Chrysler products it is very specific and it isn't as simple as just starting and driving it around. I know on my Dodge tow rig, it is almost impossible to accomplish the drive cycle to ready the monitors so I just need to keep the system maintained and working properly.

Another most obvious thing in your situation is which brand O2 sensors were used? If you used Bosch or some other brand besides OEM, NTK, or NGK, the chances of them ever passing a smog test are pretty slim. There may be some that work, but I've not seen them listed in all the smog failure threads I've read.

As for the length of time driven around, I'm not so sure I buy much of that. I live less than a mile from a smog shop that does our rigs. This year we've had to do 3 of them and it's always the same. Drive there, wait until they have a spot for us, do the test, pass, go home. There have been times when we have dropped them off on our way to some where else so I know they didn't get them in right away. We don't do any special warm up, no extra driving and we don't always get right in so I'm not sure what the correct protocol really is.

Reactions: Ann and Chris
nothing you put in the tank is going to help you pass with your current problem. Your problem is that the technician can't even test it since it is "not ready" to be tested. There are certain parameters that need to be set in order for the test to even happen. Those "readiness" items are kept in the jeep computer.

When you replaced your battery you reset the computer which then necessitated the drive cycle to be completed. The drive cycle is needed to set all the various sensors as "ready" I suggest you google 2002 Jeep drive cycle. You will get lots of info. It took me about 150 miles to be ready for smog test.

I was just discussing this with a friend who is having the same issue with 2000 Infinity. Apparently it can take 1000 miles on that vehicle.

Another thing to note is that depending on the year vehicle (I can't find it right now), but I think the cut off was 2001, there can be either one or two sensors "not ready" and still be OK for smog check. That said, there is some crazy point system where even though it is legal for the smog tester to test your vehicle with a not ready sensor the tester doesn't want to do the test bc the more cars they test with not 100% ready sensors it counts against them for their BAR license.

Look at the drive cycle, try to follow it.

nothing you put in the tank is going to help you pass with your current problem. Your problem is that the technician can't even test it since it is "not ready" to be tested. There are certain parameters that need to be set in order for the test to even happen. Those "readiness" items are kept in the jeep computer.

When you replaced your battery you reset the computer which then necessitated the drive cycle to be completed. The drive cycle is needed to set all the various sensors as "ready" I suggest you google 2002 Jeep drive cycle. You will get lots of info. It took me about 150 miles to be ready for smog test.

I was just discussing this with a friend who is having the same issue with 2000 Infinity. Apparently it can take 1000 miles on that vehicle.

Another thing to note is that depending on the year vehicle (I can't find it right now), but I think the cut off was 2001, there can be either one or two sensors "not ready" and still be OK for smog check. That said, there is some crazy point system where even though it is legal for the smog tester to test your vehicle with a not ready sensor the tester doesn't want to do the test bc the more cars they test with not 100% ready sensors it counts against them for their BAR license.

Look at the drive cycle, try to follow it.
One thing I forgot to mention is as of early this year in CA, they will not test any Jeep TJ's with ready monitors not ready. They used to, but no longer do according to the letter my smog guy was waving at me when I went in.

One thing I forgot to mention is as of early this year in CA, they will not test any Jeep TJ's with ready monitors not ready. They used to, but no longer do according to the letter my smog guy was waving at me when I went in.
Say that isn't true mrblaine. I need to check again, but i think my jeep never seems to set one of the ready monitors.

Jack

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Well, I did a little research on the readiness and the rule of having an incomplete / not ready monitor. Here is the official word from BAR in the Smog Check OBD Reference. This information comes from the most current reference guide dates 3/11/2016. It is a 204 page PDF document. https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_OBD_Reference_Guide.pdf

View attachment 4098
Looks like I need to print that and have a chat with my smog guy or at least explain to him that TJ's started in 97.

Reactions: Chris
Buy a cheap code reader from the parts store and drive it until you get a green light on the reader. If it's yellow, you need to drive it around some more.

Also most vehicles made after 2000 don't even get a real smog test. They just plug into your vehicles OBDII port and run a test so it must have run through all its cycles first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a cheap code reader from the parts store and drive it until you get a green light on the reader. If it's yellow, you need to drive it around some more.

Also most vehicles made after 2000 don't even get a real smog test. They just plug into your vehicles OBDII port and run a test so it must have run through all its cycles first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have a vehicle with a ready monitor problem, it is very unlikely you will duplicate the drive cycle to ready them just by driving around.

Here is a link to the actual parameters of the drive cycle. No one drives their vehicle in such a way to duplicate it.

I went through this with my 05 Dodge Diesel tow rig. Finally had to resort to the lifetime emissions warranty I have from Chrysler and have them reprogram the PCM to get the ready monitors all on at the same time.

http://www.obd2.com/support/reprog/downloads/chrysler/chry-imset_procedure.pdf

If you have a vehicle with a ready monitor problem, it is very unlikely you will duplicate the drive cycle to ready them just by driving around.

Here is a link to the actual parameters of the drive cycle. No one drives their vehicle in such a way to duplicate it.

I went through this with my 05 Dodge Diesel tow rig. Finally had to resort to the lifetime emissions warranty I have from Chrysler and have them reprogram the PCM to get the ready monitors all on at the same time.

http://www.obd2.com/support/reprog/downloads/chrysler/chry-imset_procedure.pdf
A day or twos drive will meet most if not all those requirements. I reset my Jeeps computer and I had got a green light by the end of the day after a average Saturday wheeling trip.