Unable to stop LJ hardtop from leaking

davelkim

Supporting Member
My girlfriend has had it up to the metaphorical "here" with the leaky LJ and is begging me to trade it in.
I live in NJ and we have been having a storm every other week at the moment so her frustrations are running high.
The hardtop almost never comes off. Can I just silicone every single crack on this car or something to save my ears from the wet and musty smell complaints every time we drive to the grocery store?
A more serious question, do factory hardtops leak less*?
I bought the car way back when with a rally top on it and I love it for the sliding mesh windows in the back. But can give that up to get a leaktight* wrangler.

I've changed out some of the more obvious weather strippings and rubber pieces that looked just plain tired/old. Is it just my crappy aftermarket hardtop?

I'd say post some pics of where it is leaking. I have the factory Hard Top on my LJ and I get just the smallest amount of water on the inside of the passenger window when I wash the Jeep and that is hosing it off from all angles from 5' away. We drove through a pretty good rainstorm in Colorado and I don't recall getting much/any water inside the Jeep.

We do have some wind noise on the passenger side. I think it is from the transition from the windshield to the top. I installed some 1/4" weather stripping and it is better, but not completely gone.

Leak.JPG

My 06 TJ hard top leaks just slightly on the passenger side as well and also only when a hose or pressure washer is on it but doesn't leak during even heavy rain.

Where is the water actually puddling up inside the Jeep? Mine was doing it on the passengers side floor. As it turns out it was the cowl leaking water because the drains where clogged up.

I have a rally top as well; and my only leak is where the others have commented. I stuffed some foam there and only get leaks with direct, high pressure sprays. Granted it’s not been on in almost 2 years...

Step 1. Get a new girlfriend who also has a JEEP.
problem solved problem staying solved
200.gif