Underseat lock box for seat with flip forward

Bababooey

TJ Enthusiast
Hey all, I'm looking for a lockbox to go under the seat of my 2006 LJ. My seat does have the flip forward feature, but i'd be ok with that no longer working. However, it looks like the bestop box won't fit under my seat due to the flip forward mechanism underneath my seat. Any lockboxes that work under my seat. Need it large enough to secure a full size handgun. I've already modified my stock center console to fit an aftermarket sub, so i can't do a locking center console as an option, but I am open to other ideas as to how to securely store a firearm within easy access of the driver's seat. Thanks.

Hey all, I'm looking for a lockbox to go under the seat of my 2006 LJ. My seat does have the flip forward feature, but i'd be ok with that no longer working. However, it looks like the bestop box won't fit under my seat due to the flip forward mechanism underneath my seat. Any lockboxes that work under my seat. Need it large enough to secure a full size handgun. I've already modified my stock center console to fit an aftermarket sub, so i can't do a locking center console as an option, but I am open to other ideas as to how to securely store a firearm within easy access of the driver's seat. Thanks.

You won’t find one to secure a full size handgun and retain the fold and tumble seat bracket, there just isn’t enough room. I can’t even fit a G19 in mine, and can only fit a G26 if it’s not in a holster.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/anyone-using-the-tuffy-conceal-carry-drawer.614/

Reactions: CodaMan
I use the Tuffy for the flip seat. It isn't big enough for a full size pistol. It doesn't get much bigger than a S&W 4506...
No7aM3Q1OXYeLOeoebCY4iG-vXhPSw8-1-UoZ5jhnbcyk7m0lJSX7fjKsLWdjBkPVwpYGZAPjAveklStqE=w1133-h637-no.jpg

Kahr CW9, about the same size as a S&W Shield...
wKeoF3Ylvn_0PiCsIe1jk4p9iYq3dmrIqtftBV-6_tHIo_OX-XZxXTpndVqPVojOHvzKPujXznxP9nGtw4=w1133-h637-no.jpg

I have the Tuffy for the non-flip seat. It is definitely bigger, but AFAIK, does not work with the flip forward mechanism.

I am not familiar with the lock box you are looking at but I have the same vehicle as yours and have also thought about adding one —- Would raising the seat 2" like I did help with clearance for the lock box? (I am long leg/short body so needed to raise the seat for comfort and visibility). Decent kits with billet riser blocks are cheap but plan on buying your own grade 5 or 8 bolts as my kit bolts were about 1/4" short.

I have the Tuffy box also and love it. Brst investment I've made. I have the 250 model with flip for Sahara seats.

20170516_223600.jpg

I put 1" spacers (a stack of fender washers) under my flip seat & it works great

I considered spacers, but I’m on the tall side and wouldn’t want the seat any higher than it currently is. In fact, the guy I bought the Jeep from had 1” spacers on the two rearward front seat mounts and I had to get rid of those as it sat me too high.

The main thing that takes up the space for the “flip & go” seats is the tab where the cable goes in for the option. Both of my cables blew out so I just lift up on the tab to lift the seat up. I made my own box and I am considering cutting off the tab so I can install a wider box. The box I made has a flip down door that gives it more space internally.
IMG_1591.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tuffy Model 248 for No Flip Seat is 336 cubic inches.
Tuffy Model 250 for the Flip Seat is 149 cubic inches.
Bestop appears to be approx. 264 cubic inches from interior dimensions posted online.

I ditched my driver side flip and tumble mechanism and installed the Tuffy 248 and OEM fixed risers from ebay. Risers cost $30 and a coat of black spray paint. I can carry a full sized Taurus Judge and my duty G17. Drawer is solid.

Mine is a 2000, so you may need different riser since these say 97-02:
https://www.ebay.com/i/283549397949...MI7_CU0re55QIViZWzCh33wAoKEAYYASABEgJQKvD_BwE
0467C0E1-D5AF-4B51-A06B-7B99376C716F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: americanwrkmule
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.