Unhappy 1st off road test trip with 2004 Jeep LJ. Where to go from here?

Since you are looking at OME springs I'd suggest considering the ZJ/LJ spring combination. It gave me 2.5 inches of lift on my LJ with bumpers, winch, and hardtop.

Fix the tire pressure first before rebuilding the Jeep. How was it determined that the shocks were worn out?

I inch BL should get the tires out of your fenders.
You shouldn't need the transfer case lowered with an LJ. Not part of your issues, but you'll gain some clearance if you can get rid of it without adding vibes.
Don't expect any miracles from new shocks. Rocks are rough.
Build for the type of wheeling you plan on doing.

I have the 6cyl Auto. Tires are 33x12.50x15 Shock setting was at 3 (middle of the settings) I was going pretty slow in 4lo. If I should be running at 12-15lbs tire pressure while wheeling, I was too high. I was more like 22-25 lbs.
Set your RS9000xl shocks to the least stiff #1 setting. That's where mine are and even that's a bit stiff for a TJ. Run 26-28 psi street pressure. 26 with 1-2 people and lightly loaded, 28 psi when the TJ is fully loaded. 12 psi when you're offroad. All that should make a nice improvement.

It is called Rocky Gap Trail so there were nothing but rocks

Thank all for the input. I'll get out there again soon to run it with proper air pressures

I have the 6cyl Auto. Tires are 33x12.50x15 Shock setting was at 3 (middle of the settings) I was going pretty slow in 4lo. If I should be running at 12-15lbs tire pressure while wheeling, I was too high. I was more like 22-25 lbs.
You’ll be positively surprised what difference it makes aired down!

what brand tires and what’s the ply rating ?

I’ll say this I have a RC lift and I hated my first off-road experience. Last week I aired down and it was completely different. Was it as smooth as butter? No but it made a huge difference, I don’t feel like I need an entire new lift next week. I can ride this one out for the time being.

I find it comical when we ask people what they are airing down to and their answer is usually 15psi or more. I've done the same too. Going below 10 psi isnt going to hurt a thing, and you will quickly learn to appreciate the benefits of going into single digit psi's

Reactions: rasband
I find it comical when we ask people what they are airing down to and their answer is usually 15psi or more. I've done the same too. Going below 10 psi isnt going to hurt a thing, and you will quickly learn to appreciate the benefits of going into single digit psi's
Agreed that low psi is better when off road. I've found though that without beadlocks and with my tire/wheel combo (35MTRs/10"rims) I start to lose beads when I get into single digits which is a pain. Single digits doesn't work well for every every tire/wheel combo - just sayin...

Agreed that low psi is better when off road. I've found though that without beadlocks and with my tire/wheel combo (35MTRs/10"rims) I start to lose beads when I get into single digits which is a pain. Single digits doesn't work well for every every tire/wheel combo - just sayin...

Our group almost exclusively runs 33s-35s at about 8psi with 8" non beadlock wheels. Most have MTRs. We rarely lose beads. I might be the exception during my brief time with Patagonias.

Reactions: rasband
Which is why so many of us recommend only 8" wheels for tires like 33x12.50 and 35x12.50. 10" wide wheels make it much easier to lose the seal at the bead when aired down enough for tougher trails.

Reactions: D M
Disconnected front sway bar helps the ride too and will help keeping all 4 tires in contact with the ground. 9 psi is what I usually run. Make sure you have a way to air back up at the end of the ride.

I’ve burped some air out running 11 or 12 PSI a couple times on my 15x8’s but have never full lost a bead. Reseating a bead isn’t that big of a deal if you have a way to air up.

If you’re just going to go run some forest service roads and explore a bit, I wouldn’t bother airing all the way down to single digits. If you’re doing harder stuff, single digits and a way to reseat a bead should be the plan.

Do you have an engine tuner? I don’t know a lot but my TJ has a superchips that was set to “fuel economy”. After my first wheeling experience I set it back to stock and it had taken the throttle sensitivity wayyyy down.
My Superchips didn't help TJ performance at all. They taste great though.:)
super chips (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
Fullstack Motorsports tuned and built my Fox LSC shocks, 11" in front. 12" in back. Like riding on a cloud. When I bought the TJ two years ago, it had bilstiens that were too long. I put a set of scrounged up rancho adjustables on that were shorter but still harsh. I did not want to rush the outboard project. So the first 2 trips were jarring and my wife has spinal stenosis, which did not go well with the ride. The first trip out with Paul's tune on all four corners was amazing. The fire road to the trail was a long one and when I got to the trail, I looked around and everyone had been "lulled" to sleep. The ensuing rock gardens were just as smooth. I know the Fox LSC's are a bit pricey, but the set I have are worth it.

IMG_3809_zpsonckunvy.jpg

IMG_4088_zpsyut9ks23.jpg