Uniden PRO 520xl issue

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
So the Uniden 520 in the TJ has developed some interesting issues. The PA, ANL and CH9 switches are stuck in the off position. Could this be operator error, or did the moisture, dust and vibration cause these things to malfunction? Is it safe, reasonably, to pull it out, pop the cover off and blow the dust and crap out? It's a $35 radio, but I don't want to replace it if I don't have to.

Thanks for any ideas.

You should have no problems taking the cover off and using compressed air (at a lower pressure like 30 psi) to blow any dust and dirt out.
Then work the switches back and forth to free them up.
Be sure all power is disconnected from the radio before opening it up.

Reactions: StG58
You should have no problems taking the cover off and using compressed air (at a lower pressure like 30 psi) to blow any dust and dirt out.
Then work the switches back and forth to free them up.
Be sure all power is disconnected from the radio before opening it up.
The radio come out easily,, it's got quick disconnects for the power and the antenna just screws off...so that's what I'm going to do. Take it out, open it up and blow the crud out! Fiddle with the switches to see if they'll free up. Worst case, the radio still works and the switches don't.

Reactions: DickD1911
My 520XL would do weird stuff after being on for an hour or more. Mic would ground out when I tried to call anyone. All everyone else would here is an irritating squeal. Next day it would be just fine.

Guy at work, ex-radio tech heard me bitchin' about my switches and offered to look it over. A few squirts of contact cleaner, some silicone lube and away we go. He said the internals on that thing were pretty cheap looking. We'll see what happens, but for now, it's up and running.

Last edited: