Uniden UH755 - the separate "speaker mic"

andyj

TJ Enthusiast
Hi,

I bought a handheld radio for my next 4WD trip. I'm a complete novice when it comes to radios. I got a UH755 with lots of accessories: https://uniden.com.au/product/uh755-2dlx/

In the box there are also separate microphones, this one: https://uniden.com.au/product/acc755/

When you have a close look you can see a kind of rubbery plug that closes a jack.
acc755.png

Does anyone know what this jack is for? There is nothing in the box that actually fits in. The plug that goes into the radio has two jacks, three contacts each. A lot for just a mic, so I assume there must be something else supported.

Cheers,
Andy

Their description says it supports an "ear microphone" which would take 3 to 4 connections to work properly. As in you can talk through that kind of earpiece.

That "ear microphone" is a different thing. One can use the "ear microphone" or the "speaker microphone" but not both at the same time because they go into the same socket on the radio. Weird idea to produce something and not to add a manual.

It looks very similar to the mic/earpiece combo I’m wearing at this moment at work.

If it works like mine it’s the only way to go.
3841AD1E-5A31-4A2D-8E62-91186BDBC890.jpeg

That "ear microphone" is a different thing. One can use the "ear microphone" or the "speaker microphone" but not both at the same time because they go into the same socket on the radio. Weird idea to produce something and not to add a manual.
The main microphone uses a multi-pin connector to plug into the radio. It has extra wiring/connectors in it so the separate smaller ear microphone can plug into that microphone and thus into the radio via that one mic cord.

The main microphone uses a multi-pin connector to plug into the radio. It has extra wiring/connectors in it so the separate smaller ear microphone can plug into that microphone and thus into the radio via that one mic cord.
I don't think it works that way. The smaller "ear mic" has the same multi-pin connector, it simply does not fit. The two devices fit only into the main unit.
But @WV Native should know it - looks like he plugged something in. What is it?

I don't think it works that way. The smaller "ear mic" has the same multi-pin connector, it simply does not fit. The two devices fit only into the main unit.
That could be but I have used ear-mics that plugged into the main mic that was clipped onto my belt. :)

If it works like mine you would have to buy what's referred to as a "listen only earpiece". You wouldn't be able to use the supplied ear microphone.

The picture below shows what I use. The earpiece plugs into the mic with a 3.5mm (old school) headphone plug. It allows me to have the sound output directly in my ear rather than emitting from the mic. Basically it allows only me to hear what's being said on the radio which is great for noisy conditions or stressful scenarios.

I still have to press the PTT button on the mic to transmit.

A side note: The form fitted earpieces shown are the only ones I use. It allows you to still hear out of the ear you have the earpiece in. The plug style (white ones pictured) are horrible and act just like ear plugs.

Earpiece.jpg