Mconder40

2001 Sahara 82,000 miles, driven 2,000 miles a year since 2008, no upgrades. Do have larger P265/70 R16 Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar All-Terrains on stock rims with K&N air filter.
  • 4 weeks back it was driven on low fluid because of leak... would shake once engaged in drive on first start of the day.
  • Leak has been fixed (hose on radiator)
  • No shake when engaging in park
  • HOWEVER now intermittently it will hesitate when driving off the line in DRIVE at a stop light But WILL NOT hesitate if I put it in 1st gear.
  • Snap-on Computer Feedback: "Drain back relief valve kit is available to help alleviate problem of delayed trans gear engagement. See REF#C1020"
  • Also seems to NOT consistently shift form 1st into 2nd OR 2nd into 3rd (this is new). NOT terrible but is noticeable
  • Responsiveness in acceleration is ALL OVER the place... great then nothing.
  • Last; sometimes when stopping at a light, if I press on the gas slightly then let off... I get a bump feel from the rear, as if someone rear-ended me.

• Random Question... could an over oiled K&N Filter be causing any issues?

First off, a over filter K&N oil filter is not the cause of any of this (though I will say you should get rid of that K&N, as it's doing your engine more harm than good, honestly).

Clearly there is a transmission issue, the question is what. I'm no expert on the 32RH, so I wonder if someone with more 32RH knowledge like @Jerry Bransford has any input here.

I do find it odd that it shudders on take-off in drive, but not when it's explicitly put in first. I say that because starting off the line even in drive, it would still have to be in first gear, the only difference is the transmission would be shifting itself as oppose to just remaining in first gear.

Is it throwing any OBDII error codes?

I would start simple and check the kickdown cable to see if it needs adjusted.

Also make sure the fluid is full. Check it with the engine warmed up and the tranny in neutral. Those small details are key to making sure you’re getting a correct reading.

Thanks to the replies so far!
Update:
Fluid level is staying correct and red (yes warmed up & in neutral)...
Sluggish Hesitation "feels like I'm pulling a boat" has almost disappeared the last two days driven...
Ran decent yesterday on an 100 mile interstate trek yesterday (with a good amount of stop & go mixed in)
HOWEVER, today it started shifting somewhat poorly... even noticed a NEW problem where I hear a ''woo-hiss woo-hiss" noise coming from engine while in 2nd gear.
ALSO it does not climb up a parking garage incline very well anymore... if I stop it would ROLL back. I might've even heard a KNOCK today.

Any and all help would be great, just can't figure it out.

First off, a over filter K&N oil filter is not the cause of any of this (though I will say you should get rid of that K&N, as it's doing your engine more harm than good, honestly).

Clearly there is a transmission issue, the question is what. I'm no expert on the 32RH, so I wonder if someone with more 32RH knowledge like @Jerry Bransford has any input here.

I do find it odd that it shudders on take-off in drive, but not when it's explicitly put in first. I say that because starting off the line even in drive, it would still have to be in first gear, the only difference is the transmission would be shifting itself as oppose to just remaining in first gear.

Is it throwing any OBDII error codes?

Only code I know of is the Snap On reader error
"Drain back relief valve kit is available to help alleviate problem of delayed trans gear engagement. See REF#C1020"

At this point I would consider taking it to a transmission speciality shop. At some point you have to know when it's beyond your knowledge, and there's honestly nothing wrong with that. That's what I would do at least if I was in your shoes :)

I'll tackle a lot of things myself, but a transmission is not one of them (y)

Probably way off here, but thought I'd throw it out there because of an experience I had a while back. My son-in-law had a 98 CRv, he swore something was wrong with the transmission and gave me a lot (not all) of the symptoms that you have described. I told him to bring it over and we would change the trans oil and filter and go from there. I got in it to drive it up on the ramps and it barely made it up, and was making the "woo-hiss, woo hiss" sound you mentioned. I had him rev it while I laid under to see where it was coming from. His catalytic converter was plugged and it was escaping out the exh manifold to down pipe union.

He swore up and down it was his transmission acting up.

Like I mentioned, probably not your issue, but threw it out there.

MISC. UPDATE:

ALSO just took my K&N air filter out to check air flow tonight... using a cold hair dryer to blow air. I quickly noticed that BARELY any air flow was coming through... not sure how serious this air flow issue is. Just next day shipped a WIX air filter.

Probably way off here, but thought I'd throw it out there because of an experience I had a while back. My son-in-law had a 98 CRv, he swore something was wrong with the transmission and gave me a lot (not all) of the symptoms that you have described. I told him to bring it over and we would change the trans oil and filter and go from there. I got in it to drive it up on the ramps and it barely made it up, and was making the "woo-hiss, woo hiss" sound you mentioned. I had him rev it while I laid under to see where it was coming from. His catalytic converter was plugged and it was escaping out the exh manifold to down pipe union.

He swore up and down it was his transmission acting up.

Like I mentioned, probably not your issue, but threw it out there.

Thanks for the Reply... I will run this by a mechanic as this is obviously beyond my scope. This also brings up another issue of mine, I have yet to find a TRUSTWORTHY mechanic here in Tampa, FL. Frustrating to say the least.

Sure hope your son-in-law's CRv is running well.

Reactions: DaYooperTransplant
Thanks for the Reply... I will run this by a mechanic as this is obviously beyond my scope. This also brings up another issue of mine, I have yet to find a TRUSTWORTHY mechanic here in Tampa, FL. Frustrating to say the least.

Sure hope your son-in-law's CRv is running well.
Were you able to fix the issue? I am having similar problems